Wanting to expand musical taste and repetoire and experience! Reccommendations??
Jul 2, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #31 of 40
Give jazz a try. It grabbed me about two years ago and has not let go. Right now, I'm spinning a Django Reinhardt LP - highly recommended! Miles Davis' Kind of Blue was mentioned earlier. That's a great entry, as are Dave Brubeck's Time Out and Bill Evans' Waltz for Debby. Solid classics with a broad appeal.

You mentioned folk, but have you considered classic country? Lefty Frizzell, Hank Williams, Sr., George Jones, Webb Pierce, Johnny Cash, and many others might work their way into your head. Give them a chance.

And in typical Head-Fi fashion, I'm about to tell you to buy some gear:

Get a turntable.

Nothing will get you into new music faster than a turntable. Once you have one, you can prowl garage sales, junk stores, flea markets, and used record stores for records. They are inexpensive, so you can buy anything that looks even slightly interesting. Vinyl sounds amazing (of course) but the world of music a turntable opens is the best part.

Jul 2, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #33 of 40
I'm not much of a Metal fan personally but I did recently come across one particular Metal band which has me completely hooked. Their name is cheesy as are a lot of their lyrics but that aside they're just epic in so many ways....

Dragonforce
Start with their latest cd, "Inhuman Rampage".

They're actually a 'speed metal' band as they have 2 incredible guitarist who can play faster than most people can even comprehend. I was introduced to them through the game guitar Hero. Their song Through the Fire and Flames is the final final final song in the game and was added pretty much as a joke by the developers to laugh in our faces at how bad we are at the game.

If you're going to downlaod 1 song to try then let it be "Through the Fire and Flames". Awesome stuff.

Jul 2, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #34 of 40
About Dragonforce, here is truth about them...

YouTube - Herman Li is cool

*lmao* sorry, I couldnt resist.
tongue.gif
But anyway, if you want to listen some awesome shredding skills Dragonforce is way to go. Though shredding speed doesnt make one awesome guitarist and especially songwriter, they are very skilled in the art of shredding. Songs on albums are confirmed to be sped-up though, and they cant do all that stuff exactly like that on live, especially when they are drunk. (and they almast always are, which is also confirmed
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Here is the above mentioned Through Fire And Flames song.
YouTube - DragonForce - Through the Fire and Flames

Jul 2, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #36 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
About Dragonforce, here is truth about them...

YouTube - Herman Li is cool
/url]

I laugh every time I hear that "It'sa Me!"

Jul 4, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #37 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I laugh every time I hear that "It'sa Me!"

It'sa Mee Marioo!!! That italian, perhaps unintentionally, stereotypegayish voice is simply hilarious in annoying way.
biggrin.gif
Quite a enhancement pedal there... :b

Jul 5, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #38 of 40
OP: how can you say you are trying to open your musical horizons, then after the fact you list ONLY 6 or so genres, that's quite limiting don't you think? Give everything a try, some so called 'genres' that you may not care for outright, you may find an artist(s) that actually sounds decent. There are so many different sounds out there, don't always stray toward the typical, just a thought.

Jul 11, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #40 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by tiantan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OP: how can you say you are trying to open your musical horizons, then after the fact you list ONLY 6 or so genres, that's quite limiting don't you think? Give everything a try, some so called 'genres' that you may not care for outright, you may find an artist(s) that actually sounds decent. There are so many different sounds out there, don't always stray toward the typical, just a thought.

Well, what other distinctive gnres are there? Most ar sungenres of what I'v listed I would say. With the excption of rap, danc, techno etc, stuff thats more digital/synthtic, electronic beat based and/or lyrical, what else is there?
Im opn to any subgenres within the genrs i've listed, eg smoth jazz or acid jazz or speed metal or death metal etc etc. When you look at it like that i guess its not that limited
tongue.gif

Thanks for evryones replies and suggestions so far! I've cuurently got a **** oad of cds to listen to but I'll now begin to splice that process with some of the suggstions off here
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back