wanted: negative ZOTL comments
Feb 10, 2002 at 6:15 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
Kelly, you bought a RKV? You ARE bringing that to the meeting... yes?

I won't have it or the W2002 by next Sunday.
frown.gif

Guess you'll have to invite us over to hear your Oris if you want to hear them.

Feb 10, 2002 at 8:13 PM Post #19 of 26
Kelly,

You want some negative comments about the ZOTL? Here it it: My no NFB MG Head images better and has more details than the ZOTL. Thats just the way it is single ended vs push pull (generally speaking, for now). Yes, the MG Head is midrangey but what an amazing midrange. The ZOTL may kick butt on the MG Head everywhere else but not where it counts for me. Of course that doesn't stop me from thinking evil thoughts such as a single ended version of the ZOTL (oops Kurt, my secret is out).

Feb 10, 2002 at 8:34 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by johnnylexus
Dusty:

don't forget me when you get closer to doing the DC/Md/Va thing ... I wanna come too...

Nope, haven't forgotten. Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
You're not going to hear much negative about the ZOTL from me (except for the time I mistook it for a toaster/oven, but that was early in the morning...One really nice thing about the ZOTL is that it runs the tubes relatively cool.

That's too bad, I was thinking that it could double as a toaster. How's this for a negative comment: ugly! Sorry, MHO. I like the way someone else said it -- it has kind of a ghetto/white-trash look to it.

Of course, there's a tweak for it -- maybe someone should repaint it with C37...or whatever that lacquer was called...

Or maybe just plain re-case it, into something better, like carved marble or granite... Quote:

I'm still in the process of learning it. I'm buying a LOT of inexpensive tubes right now, to learn how different variants, particularly of the 6SN7, affect the ZOTL. Once I get a handle on which of the 6SN7 types sounds best, I'll probably spring for a premium pair...I still haven't found the exact right set of tubes that I'm going to stay with yet, so it's difficult to characterize the sound without writing an essay on the sounds of the different tube variants (which I'll do at some point, once I feel I've got a handle on it, if anyone's interested. It just won't be soon.)

Damn straight we're interested, even if I don't have a ZOTL, this is the closest thing we can do to tube reviews, so all information is good. I know you been working a lot lately, but still want to hear that review eventually!

Feb 11, 2002 at 11:20 AM Post #21 of 26
From the impedance matching thread, it sounds like I can at least surmise that one weakness of the RKV is that low impedance headphones have a higher noise floor without some kind of adapter whereas the ZOTL handles this effectively and noise free.

It also sounds like, from reading other reviews, that the RKV is more succeptible to RF noise.

So the question becomes--is the RKV better enough to compensate for these weaknesses, even with less than optimum circumstances. I wonder if I'll end up buying a ZOTL later now just to answer that question.

Feb 11, 2002 at 9:50 PM Post #22 of 26
last night i was listening to my zotl, and i believe i have found something i don't like about it:

i was running my k501's through it, and heard some kind of clanging.. it sounds kinda like somebody beating a pot and pan together in the next room. i found it was my cord rubbing against the case. also, if i lightly tap the exterior of the case with my thumb, the clang shows through again. it must be very sensitive to vibrations, wish i had a better shelf to place it on. it really isn't much of a problem at all, i just loop my cord around something higher above it so the cord doesn't touch the case. also, i have this paranoid fear that because the headphone jack is on the top of the case, right above the tubes, that maybe the cord will get too hot when laying right above the tube vents. probably just me, but it does get a bit warm. course, when i am relaxing and enjoying the gorgeous sound of it, i have not a single problem in the world.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2002 at 10:01 PM Post #23 of 26
Grinch,
Glad you like your new toy.

If I had a criticism, it is the flimsyness of the casing. You need something sturdier. I also wrote Berning about my displeasure with having the headphone jack on top of the unit. The ZOTL has to go on the top shelf of your rack to access the jack and volume. This is not convenient. I suggested he put the volume and jack on the front of the unit. I think he took my suggestion "under advisement"
wink.gif

Hard to fault sonic performance of this amp, PLUS no matter what headphone you buy, it will drive it well (AKG K100 excepted). ZOTL sets the standard for "value" in tube amps under a grand.

markl

Feb 11, 2002 at 10:33 PM Post #24 of 26
Kelly,
YOu made a great choice the RKV is a wonderful amp, if you get one that isn't problematic. I have an RKV Mark II and the the sound is luscious, rich liquid mids, great base, wonderful upper end. I was lucky (from what I've read) I've had no problems with my unit, no hum no RF interference.

All that being said, I also have an Microzotl and it is a great amp too. As many have stated here, the sound rom the zotl is not "tubey" at all, much closer to a good ss amp (better than my Headroom Cosmic/BS-1) if slightly more liquidy in the mids. I'm still sorting out the differences in sound between these two and the way they are set up right now confounds pure AB comparisons. The RVK is being fed by a CAL SIgma II DAC with the ultimate source being a REGA2000 CDP, while the Zotl is taking the output from the REGA onboard DAC, and I generally use Sennheiser 600s (+Clou Red) with the RKV and Grado RS-2's withe the Zotl. I really should try more exact comparisons but life is busy right now, someday I'll get to it.

Feb 11, 2002 at 10:33 PM Post #25 of 26
The ZOTL also has binding posts for speakers on the back. I hooked up a headphone jack for a second headphone to this, after discovering that internally the speakers and headphones are connected together. If the top mounted jack is a problem for people, this is a possible solution. The volume control is still on the top however.

Feb 11, 2002 at 11:06 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
it sounds kinda like somebody beating a pot and pan together in the next room. i found it was my cord rubbing against the case. also, if i lightly tap the exterior of the case with my thumb, the clang shows through again. it must be very sensitive to vibrations, wish i had a better shelf to place it on.

This is probably due to the microphonics of one or more of the tubes (It's not inherent in the amp). One solution would be to buy replacement tubes from a reputable tube dealer who tests for microphonics, and culls the bad ones before selling to the customer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back