Wanted: Bassy headphones
Feb 5, 2007 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

aps1ngh

New Head-Fier
Bassy headphones that are capable of maintaining crystal clear mids and highs. First and foremost, I absolutely love grado sound and very bright sound, but I also like low, deep, and punchy lows especially with good hip-hop, rap, and electronica (which are about 75% of my music).
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
I seriously want a tight subwoofer on my ears. Punchiness is a must. Reverberation and warm sound is a must.

I just purchased Grado Sr-325is and surprisingly, they have little bass. They're almost too clinical (and while I apprecaite this in the highs, I want warm lows). I have to increase the bass through my soundcard (Audigy 2 Platinum ZS) in order to get decent bass. If I left everything eq'ed flat, the bass is almost nonexistent (given it's not amped, but my soundcard is still pretty damn powerful). They are super clear and sound nice for my rock, alternative, and some jazz, and the bass that does come out is VERY controlled and crisp. I should mention they've only been burnt in for ~20-25 hours (will longer burn in give them better defined bass?).

I'm looking at:
Beyerdynamics DT770 (32 ohm sold through meier audio? 80 ohm pros? or 250 ohm 2005 edition? I don't know the diff, except that higher impedance = more powerful amp) I don't know if I'm willing to spend the money for Darth Beyers or Luke Skybeyers. My pocketbook isn't that deep yet.

Grado SR-80s (a downgrade, but I want the bass to match the clear and forward treble and highs)

Maybe some bassy IEMS driven by a Ray Sameuls Tomahawk amp? I dunno.

Please advise.

I'm also new to these forums but have been reading them on and off and searching them for a year or so. Just wanted to say how much I appreciate the community and the knowledge base.
wink.gif

Feb 5, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #3 of 20
I think you would make a great 2003 DT770-80 contender...there are few phones out there that can produce the same amount of bass punch and still sound alright.

Feb 5, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #4 of 20
Bose TriPorts (y)

Just kidding, what he said :
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try buying Grado flat pads for $30 from www.ttvj.com before you go trading headphones. They'll increase bass by an order of magnitude over the stock bowl pads.

Feb 5, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #6 of 20
I just got the 770/80's and you won't be disappointed. They work great out of my mp3 player and CDP headphone jack. My Cmoy portable adds some depth to them and my tube amp makes them too thick and bassy. So amped or unamped they are great for hip-hop, expecially after some burn-in.

Feb 5, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #7 of 20
The only hesitation about the DT770 is that it won't have as near as much detail as the 325i....heck hardly any headphone will
icon10.gif
But yeah, for electronica and hip hop, it sounds like you want the bass. DT770 for that all the way. If you want more detail then that, then maybe the DT990 or RS-1 is something to save for: haven't heard them myself to comment.....the DT990 is supposed to have more high end treble.

Feb 5, 2007 at 7:18 PM Post #8 of 20
I'd say try the MS1 first. You can find them used for about $85, or new for $99. They have adequate, punchy bass, but they still maintain a forward Grado-like sound. If they don't work out, get the DT770-80 version.

Feb 5, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by user18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say try the MS1 first. You can find them used for about $85, or new for $99. They have adequate, punchy bass, but they still maintain a forward Grado-like sound. If they don't work out, get the DT770-80 version.

Are these based off of the SR-80s or 60s? the MS2's are based off the 325is i believe.

I was also considering throwing Audio Technica into the jumble. The problem is that I don't know of anywhere decent in Columbus, Ohio to demo headphones
frown.gif

Feb 5, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by aps1ngh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just purchased Grado Sr-325is and surprisingly, they have little bass. They're almost too clinical (and while I apprecaite this in the highs, I want warm lows).

Huh!? I've listened to the 325 using a Singlepower Audio PPX Slam, and they have mucho bass and warm mids. But—and here's the kicker—the 325 was heavily modded. If I were you, I'd shoot off a PM to Kees and ask him about it. It's not expensive and non-destructive (so you can easily revert it and end up with a stock 325 without leaving a trace). You might want to try that before you spend money on yet another set of cans.

Feb 5, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by procreate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh!? I've listened to the 325 using a Singlepower Audio PPX Slam, and they have mucho bass and warm mids. But—and here's the kicker—the 325 was heavily modded. If I were you, I'd shoot off a PM to Kees and ask him about it. It's not expensive and non-destructive (so you can easily revert it and end up with a stock 325 without leaving a trace). You might want to try that before you spend money on yet another set of cans.

Can't find him in the member list.

Feb 5, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #12 of 20
How about the Sennheiser HD212Pro? Although it's been a while since I owned them - before I properly got into higher-end headphones, so my opinion may be way off - but I remember that the bass was huge, and I'm think the overall sound was pretty clear. I think they're quite cheap as well, wouldn't hurt to try...
basshead.gif

Feb 5, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Can't find him in the member list.

There's a search button in the members list. I used it and found him.

Feb 5, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #14 of 20
If you want to try a cheaper bassy headphone for hip hop and electronica, you could also go with the AKG k81DJ. Maybe good to have two different cans: the 325i can get more bass, but not at the levels that are good for a basshead.

Feb 5, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Are these based off of the SR-80s or 60s? the MS2's are based off the 325is i believe.

I was also considering throwing Audio Technica into the jumble. The problem is that I don't know of anywhere decent in Columbus, Ohio to demo headphones
frown.gif

The MS1's are based off the SR125. The MS2i's are based off the 325i's and in my opinion, they lose the warmth and the bass impact that was present in the MS1. I'm waiting to see if a different amp will help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back