Want to upgrade from my current headphones. ATH-M50X
Aug 23, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #16 of 43
  ok lol. thats alot of stuff i gotta research but thats all good. but out of all those headphones which one would you most recommend, and portability is not an issure i use my headphones solely for home as i cant use speakers cause of family. and i dont mind have to buy a decent powerful amp or amp/dac as im gonna be saving up for all this. and thanks for all the info  

For which one someone recommends most out of all those options I listed, you're giong to have to ask someone else, as I myself unfortunately have not had the chance to listen to the majority of them :p  I've listened to the Sony MDR-1A and the PSB M4U 1, and between the two of them I prefer the MDR-1A. . .the M4U 1 has a more neutral/accurate signature, but somewhat more stridence and sibilance in the upper-mids and treble.  I unfortunately have not had a chance, as I said, to listen to any of the others.  I'd definitely take a good hard look at the planar-magnetic ones if I were you, though. . .the ones from Mr. Speakers, and the Oppo PM-3. . .as planar magnetics are supposed to have many advantages over dynamic drivers.

Aug 23, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #17 of 43
im wi;;ing to spend around $500.00 on a pair of headphones, do you think the Denon ah-d2000's aare still a good choice or would you recommend something else. and is there a place online to buy second hand headphones. also are the Denon ah-d2000's really bass heavy like beats? cause i dont like bass heavy like that. and thanks for the help. 

Aug 23, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #18 of 43
  im wi;;ing to spend around $500.00 on a pair of headphones, do you think the Denon ah-d2000's aare still a good choice or would you recommend something else. and is there a place online to buy second hand headphones. also are the Denon ah-d2000's really bass heavy like beats? cause i dont like bass heavy like that. and thanks for the help. 

All I'm gonna say is that if you're looking to spend that much, and to really get a significant upgrade over the m50x, you should look into the various planar magnetic options in your price range, such as the offerings from Mr. Speakers which I mentioned (which, however, you will need a good amp to drive).

Aug 23, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #20 of 43
  yea im fine with buying an amp already told myself im gonna need to. and ill check all that out do some research and what not.  

All I know is that while I haven't had the privelege of listening to them myself yet, everybody says that Mr. Speakers make some of the best headphones on the market today, and that in-general you can buy something from them for 300 or 400 bucks that will give you the same level of sound you get from bigger companies for 700 to 800 or more!

I fully intend to get Mr. Speaker headphones with a good amp for my desktop-setup (from my laptop, with DAC) first thing once I've upgraded my portable cans (to the Sony MDR-1A), my IEM's (to the new Trinity Delta) and my desktop DAC.

That being said, not only are they too big and heavy to really be easily portable, but since all but their highest-end models are just modded Fostex T50p's with planar magnetic drivers stuck inside, Mr. Speakers' headphones are ugly as hell.  Even if they WERE portable, I would not be caught dead wearing a pair of them outside, they'd make me look like some Martian wearing a headset to stay in touch with Mission Control back on Mars.  Lol.  Both in terms of size/bulk and appearance, Mr. Speakers' offerings are most definitely headphones that stay at home on one's desk or table, and don't really ever go outside
rolleyes.gif

I mean okay.  Look at these things:

OH MY GOD SO UGLY, lolololol
darthsmile.gif

Aug 23, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #21 of 43
Hi
Planar magnetic's are technically superior to normal dynamic one's, but regarding sound signature - they're neither better nor worse!
I know everyone is different but from my own experience, i reckon denon ah-d2000's are ideal for the genre's of music you prefer.
That said, they do have a boosted bass but have equally boosted mids/high's... maybe you would find them bass heavy but they are
not boomy. I think they are as bassy but unlike Beats they are equally as good in the midrange/treble.
They are good for rock as they have aggressive and sparkly high's but also provide the sub bass necessary for hip hop.
The current equivalent is the Denon ah-d600's...they are essentially the same but IMO aren't as good.

Any headphone you purchase that cost more than $150 will be a step up from the ATH-M50X's.The ATH-M50X's are great but are on the bottom rung of the ladder. The higher price reflects the higher brilliance of the overall sound quality...
Yet again if you purchase a pair of headphones for $500 + they will have even better sound quality than the $150 - $300 one's.

For around $500 i'd recommend the following headphones:

Fostex TH500's ( arguably the best planar magnetic's currently on the market)
Fostex TH600's ( quite similiar to the Denon ah-d2000's though a little better)
Denon ah-d7100's ( the successor to the legendary ah-d7000's) - again you'd need to find a second hand pair as these sell for around $1000 brand new. I've saw them sell second hand for $455!

Perhaps your not quite settled on what kind of sound signature you like best, and if so i'd go with the Fostex t50rp's...that way you'll
be satisfied as these are fantastic all rounder's offering strong but not overpowering/dominating bass, very good mid's and nice sparkly high's.You could get the more expensive mad dog's but those are modified t50rp's which might not be to your liking.
Hope this helps
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S. You could search for second hand ah-d2000/7100's on ebay, i regularly see them on their..

Aug 23, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #23 of 43
  Hi
Planar magnetic's are technically superior to normal dynamic one's, but regarding sound signature - they're neither better nor worse!
I know everyone is different but from my own experience, i reckon denon ah-d2000's are ideal for the genre's of music you prefer.
That said, they do have a boosted bass but have equally boosted mids/high's... maybe you would find them bass heavy but they are
not boomy. I think they are as bassy but unlike Beats they are equally as good in the midrange/treble.
They are good for rock as they have aggressive and sparkly high's but also provide the sub bass necessary for hip hop.
The current equivalent is the Denon ah-d600's...they are essentially the same but IMO aren't as good.

Any headphone you purchase that cost more than $150 will be a step up from the ATH-M50X's.The ATH-M50X's are great but are on the bottom rung of the ladder. The higher price reflects the higher brilliance of the overall sound quality...
Yet again if you purchase a pair of headphones for $500 + they will have even better sound quality than the $150 - $300 one's.

For around $500 i'd recommend the following headphones:

Fostex TH500's ( arguably the best planar magnetic's currently on the market)
Fostex TH600's ( quite similiar to the Denon ah-d2000's though a little better)
Denon ah-d7100's ( the successor to the legendary ah-d7000's) - again you'd need to find a second hand pair as these sell for around $1000 brand new. I've saw them sell second hand for $455!

Perhaps your not quite settled on what kind of sound signature you like best, and if so i'd go with the Fostex t50rp's...that way you'll
be satisfied as these are fantastic all rounder's offering strong but not overpowering/dominating bass, very good mid's and nice sparkly high's.You could get the more expensive mad dog's but those are modified t50rp's which might not be to your liking.
Hope this helps
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S. You could search for second hand ah-d2000/7100's on ebay, i regularly see them on their..

The T50rp is, by all accounts (and measurements I've seen) quite lacking in sub-bass, though. . .

Also why do you keep referring to the T50rp as if it is planar magnetic?  It uses dynamic drivers.  It's the various modded versions of it out there that are planar magnetic.

Aug 23, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #24 of 43

The T50rp is, by all accounts (and measurements I've seen) quite lacking in sub-bass, though. . .

Also why do you keep referring to the T50rp as if it is planar magnetic?  It uses dynamic drivers.  It's the various modded versions of it out there that are planar magnetic.

It is planar magnetic. 

Aug 23, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #25 of 43
  It is planar magnetic. 

Wait wait then why am I seeing it listed by Fostex, and for sale on Amazon and such, as the T50rp Semi-Open DYNAMIC headphone?

Aug 23, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #26 of 43
Yeah dude look, it's DYNAMIC: http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/RP-Series.shtml#content-3-tab-tab

It uses neodymium magnet dynamic drivers.

I knew there was no possible way the stock T50rp from Fostex could be planar-magnetic, not for its price.

Aug 23, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #27 of 43
No, they're not. I'm guessing RP dynamic is another name for orthodynamic, which is planar. These have always been planar magnetics. 

Aug 23, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #28 of 43

Absolutely!
That is why i recommend them to the guy who started this thread. I wouldn't want the guy to blow 500 buck's on a pair of headphones he immediately dislikes lol.
Dude - i have the factory box sitting near me with the manual...THEY'RE PLANAR MAGNETIC...and they've been on the go since the mid 70's...
They do have a nice relatively deep bass, mine's registered as low as 18 - 20hz but remember - planar magnetics reproduce sound DIFFERENTLY compared to normal headphones...

Planar magnetic is the technical term for them. But they're also known as orthodynamic/isodynamic.

Aug 23, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #29 of 43
  No, they're not. I'm guessing RP dynamic is another name for orthodynamic, which is planar. These have always been planar magnetics. 

Wow, well, way to make that confusing, Fostex!  LOL.  Normally when companies say "dynamic" just as one word by itself, they mean normal dynamic drivers.  They use the word "orthodynamic" or the phrase "planar magnetic" to refer to planars.  So Fostex is seriously just makign this confusing!  Haha.

Aug 23, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #30 of 43

Absolutely!
That is why i recommend them to the guy who started this thread. I wouldn't want the guy to blow 500 buck's on a pair of headphones he immediately dislikes lol.
Dude - i have the factory box sitting near me with the manual...THEY'RE PLANAR MAGNETIC...and they've been on the go since the mid 70's...
They do have a nice relatively deep bass, mine's registered as low as 18 - 20hz but remember - planar magnetics reproduce sound DIFFERENTLY compared to normal headphones...

Planar magnetic is the technical term for them. But they're also known as orthodynamic/isodynamic.

Are they at all decent in the original stock config, or do they really have to be modded to achieve good sound, as many folks claim?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back