Want to upgrade from my current headphones. ATH-M50X
Aug 22, 2015 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

MattiasRobs

New Head-Fier
Been currently using the ath-m50x's for a lil over a year now and decided i could use a upgrade as these for my first major headphones and i really enjoy them. i wanna enjoy higher quality sound so i gotta buy a new pair of headphones. i dont know much about the whole headphone scene yet, so im asking for some help as what would be good headphone purchase. i dont really have a budget as i plan on saving money to purchase my next headphones, but would like to keep it less or around $500.00 if possible. i really enjoyed the sound the m50's produced but i am somewhat biased as i have not experienced other good headphones. i dont like too much bass like the beats give out but i wouldnt mind a lil more bass as to what the m50's produce. i mainly listen to music off my laptop which is pretty crappy, so would also be willing to buy a amp or dac/amp combo. and i mainly listen to hip/hop and rock every now and then if that matters. my main reason for wanting a new pair of headphones is for sound quality. i dont have my eye on anything yet cause i dont really know what to look for. so any help would be greatly appreciated. and i can supply more info if needed.

Aug 22, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #2 of 43
  Been currently using the ath-m50x's for a lil over a year now and decided i could use a upgrade as these for my first major headphones and i really enjoy them. i wanna enjoy higher quality sound so i gotta buy a new pair of headphones. i dont know much about the whole headphone scene yet, so im asking for some help as what would be good headphone purchase. i dont really have a budget as i plan on saving money to purchase my next headphones, but would like to keep it less or around $500.00 if possible. i really enjoyed the sound the m50's produced but i am somewhat biased as i have not experienced other good headphones. i dont like too much bass like the beats give out but i wouldnt mind a lil more bass as to what the m50's produce. i mainly listen to music off my laptop which is pretty crappy, so would also be willing to buy a amp or dac/amp combo. and i mainly listen to hip/hop and rock every now and then if that matters. my main reason for wanting a new pair of headphones is for sound quality. i dont have my eye on anything yet cause i dont really know what to look for. so any help would be greatly appreciated. and i can supply more info if needed.

Sony MDR-1A, Bowers and Wilkins P7, Shure SRH 1540, Yamaha HPH MT220, ummm. . .let's see. . .Oppo PM-3 if you want to upgrade from dynamic-drivers to planar-magnetic, the planar-magnetics Mr. Speakers Mad Dog, Mad Dog Pro, or Alpha Dog if you don't care about portability and do not mind having to get a decently powerful headphone amp in order to achieve the sound the headphones are capable of (and you did say you're looking for a DAC/Amp, which if you are listening from your laptop I'd HIGHLY recommend.  Before that though, look into gettign Foobar2000 with either WASAPI, ASIO--using Asio4ALL, for example--, or Kernel Streaming bit-perfect output.  If you don't know what that is, definitely research it, you can get all of it for free and will get much better sound that way), the PSB M4U 1, and. . .hmmmm. . .can't think of any others right off the top of my head.  There's a few I could think of but they are on the brighter sound-signature side, and if you liked the M50x you probably won't enjoy something too bright.

Aug 23, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #3 of 43
ok lol. thats alot of stuff i gotta research but thats all good. but out of all those headphones which one would you most recommend, and portability is not an issure i use my headphones solely for home as i cant use speakers cause of family. and i dont mind have to buy a decent powerful amp or amp/dac as im gonna be saving up for all this. and thanks for all the info  

Aug 23, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 43
Well man, for that price the HD 600 or HD650 would be perfect, but I'm not too sure.
The HD650 is slightly more colored and has a bit more bass, which is probably what you'd be used to if you had the ATHM50x's. The M50x's sound great but are sorta bass heavy, so if you get the HD650, which will without a doubt sound great, it might take a bit to adjust to the slightly closer to 'neutral' signature compared to the M50x's.
If accuracy is more your thing than bass, go for them.

Aug 23, 2015 at 2:11 AM Post #6 of 43
Ahh right that might be a bother. 
If closed is your thing, I'd say Shure 1540 is the way to go.
I can't vouch for the sound signature or quality but the reviews say they're good.

Aug 23, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #7 of 43
the shure 1540 look great. was doing some reading and people are saying theyre best used for video or music editing. i dont do any of that i just listen to music alot, an hour or more everyday would those headphones be good just for that. and would a dac/amp bring better sound out of the shure 1540

Aug 23, 2015 at 3:47 AM Post #8 of 43
Ermm then AKG K550?
Lol lots of people say different things on different sites.
Some say 'great treble but bad bass' and then the next may say 'too bright but good bass'.
What I mean is, if you go on something like Head Fi and see the 'pros and cons' kind of reviews, I'd suggest going for what majority says, or what a more experienced person says.
I personally dislike when a person says the complete opposite of what 10 other people say, and it confuses me XD
Everyone hears differently so maybe just go to a store and try some on.
It's just that some hear 'far differently from others'.
Just saying.

Aug 23, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #9 of 43
yeah i understand what youre saying. i just gotta find a good headphone store its all bestbuys and **** like that around me. and thanks for the help i just didnt really know what direction to go since im new to all this still, but now i got somewhat of an idea.

Aug 23, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #10 of 43
If you are playing the music so loud that using an open headphone disturbs those more than 10 feet away, then the volume is probably dangerously high and damaging to your hearing. Most open headphone don't leak that much sound anyway. A major exception though is Grado headphones. Open headphones though are likely not to give you the strong bass you desire. The best open circumaural headphones though have great detail, great midrange, and great soundstage, however their bass impact tends to be on the weak side.

Aug 23, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #11 of 43
its not that i listen to them dangerously loud, its that i got thin walls in my house and i work nights when everyone else works days so i get home around 2am after my shift and everyones sleeping. between 2 am and 5 am is when i listen to music the most cause its usually my only free time cause when i wake up im pretty much off to work right away. so its just easier for me to have closed headphones. 

Aug 23, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #12 of 43
  its not that i listen to them dangerously loud, its that i got thin walls in my house and i work nights when everyone else works days so i get home around 2am after my shift and everyones sleeping. between 2 am and 5 am is when i listen to music the most cause its usually my only free time cause when i wake up im pretty much off to work right away. so its just easier for me to have closed headphones. 

I have never seen an open headphone that leaks so much sound that it can be heard on the other side of a wall(except perhaps one made from rice paper). The Grado headphones are likely to be the ones that leak the most. Even using these at relatively high volumes, the sound won't be audible on the other side of a wall, and would likely only be audible in the same room within around 10 feet or so away(assuming that someone is not listening at dangerously high volume levels). So yes, using Grado headphones in a crowded library would present a problem as far as those very close hearing the music.

Aug 23, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #14 of 43
  alright i didnt really know how much they leaked, from what i read and heard in reviews on youtube they made it seem like it lwaked alot. 

It is all relative. An open headphone 
  alright i didnt really know how much they leaked, from what i read and heard in reviews on youtube they made it seem like it lwaked alot. 

You need to keep in mind that the intensity of the sound varies with the distance squared. The distance between a headphone's drivers and the wearer's eardrums is so small when compared to that of someone sitting more than 10 feet away. Also keep in mind that you probably won't use sound levels that are damaging to your hearing, although some irresponsible people do listen to music at dangerously high levels.

Aug 23, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #15 of 43
Hi
I've been buying quality headphones now for around 10 years, and have spent well over $1000 acquiring them all. I now have 14 and counting...
My experience has taught me that the best all - rounder for under $200 would be the Fostex t50rp's... and since they are planar magnetics the bass on them is technically more capable than other normal headphones..they demand allot of juice to sound there best though.
If your willing to spend more, i'd suggest investing in a second hand pair of Denon ah-d2000's. You can only get them second hand as they are no longer in production...but they are perfect for your taste in music. If you can't find any, the Denon ah-d600's are a lesser though decent alternative. Bear in mind that Denon's are quite bass oriented though but generally well balanced.

I think headphones with Biocellulose drivers would also be ideal for you given your preference.

Hope i could be of help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back