Want to upgrade from my current headphones. ATH-M50X
Aug 23, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #31 of 43
They are one of those headphones that need quite allot of burn - in, before sounding there best. I bought 2, one modded and one unmodded. Modded it myself and there is a discernable difference, but not night and day. I actually prefer the stock version as it's flatter sound and i gave the modded one's to a friend. I believe the biggest possible difference that can be made to these headphones is upgrading the cable. I think they are impressive but since i started out with $650 Denon's they are nothing that special to me...

Aug 24, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #32 of 43
OK - let's perhaps leave the burn-in debate alone.  Leads to locked threads, and unfortunately helps no-one
wink.gif
.  The two sides will never agree anyway.

Anyway - OP - welcome to Head-Fi.  Sadly I haven't heard the Ath M50X, just the Ath M50 - so I'm not going to throw a lot of suggestions at you.  From what I understand, you're looking at closed back, circumaural, and maybe a little more bass than the M50X have.

First up - maybe try here for some inspiration : http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed

Then I'd check out Tyll's headphone measurements (http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads) for the M50X (just concentrate on frequency response), and compare any that you are interested in.  You're looking for similar curves with just a bit more emphasis on the bass (left hand side of the graph).  That'll let you know which ones to avoid, and which ones to do further research on.  From those suggested to you so far, the one closest to what you're looking for (as far as elevated response goes - but with similar tonality) just might be the Shure SRH 1540.  So maybe even head over to one of the 1540 threads, and ask if anyone there can compare them to the M50X 
smile.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/newsearch?search=srh1540

BTW - oldmate's idea is a good one.  EQ, if applied correctly, can often turn a good headphone into a great one.

Aug 24, 2015 at 6:37 AM Post #34 of 43
i would highly suggest a pair of HD650 if you want it for stationary use, best headphone under 1000$, you will hear so much details that you never knew was there. 
For the headphones on the go, i would go for a pair of IEMs, sth like SE215, large can has very limited isolation comparing IEMs. 

Aug 24, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #35 of 43

There is a difference between having a general interest in headphone's ( like you 2) and people like me who have been in the game for years like Tyll:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/evidence-headphone-break#6DV3SJWqGIH4B8ZO.97

My thought's exactly!

As for the difference between mp3 and cd quality - it's called compression:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_compression

If you do not fall into this category then don't make judgements:
http://gizmodo.com/5213042/why-we-need-audiophiles

I'll finish by stating that i own a $4,000 audio system that exposes all the impurities/imperfections out my music just like the audiphile in the link above.

Guys like me are labelled "Audiophile's" as they have a....SERIOUS....and at time's unhealthy addiction to audio equipment.

If you do not fall into this category then you are in no position to contradict me...PERIOD!

Please give it a rest.  This isn't a pi$$ing contest, and none of this is either on topic, or helping the OP.  Let it go. If you want a decent debate on the topic of burn-in, start a thread in sound science. I'm sure you'll get plenty of takers.

Aug 24, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #36 of 43
  i would highly suggest a pair of HD650 if you want it for stationary use, best headphone under 1000$, you will hear so much details that you never knew was there. 
For the headphones on the go, i would go for a pair of IEMs, sth like SE215, large can has very limited isolation comparing IEMs. 

He's after a closed circumaural can - and the idea that the HD650 is the best can under $1000 is lets just say - your opinion.  It's a great headphone - but best under $1000?

Aug 24, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #37 of 43

Please give it a rest.  This isn't a pi$$ing contest, and none of this is either on topic, or helping the OP.  Let it go. If you want a decent debate on the topic of burn-in, start a thread in sound science. I'm sure you'll get plenty of takers.

I was just correcting their miss - interpretations. Burn -in is real though not applicable to every headphone on the planet. I'm off!
smile.gif

Aug 24, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #38 of 43

I was just correcting their miss - interpretations. Burn -in is real though not applicable to every headphone on the planet. I'm off!
smile.gif

That is your opinion - and if you want to debate it - this thread is not the place.  I'd be more than happy to relate my own experiences - which run counter to yours - if you do want to open a thread in sound science 
wink.gif

Aug 24, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #39 of 43

That is your opinion - and if you want to debate it - this thread is not the place.  I'd be more than happy to relate my own experiences - which run counter to yours - if you do want to open a thread in sound science 
wink.gif

Nah...It's all relative to the way the drivers are attached to the diaphragm.Which is a physical aspect, Thus debating is pointless as burn - in is not effective for all headphone's...BUT IT DOES EXIST FOR SOME OF THEM.
It's not necassarily a good thing though...

Now...going back to the original point of this thread - I recommend Fostex T50rp's and with the remaining cash, get yourself an Oehlbach XXL dac ultra ( check out the reviews).
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oehlbach-XXL-Ultra-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00MIZR18Y/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1440417430&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=oehlback+dac+ultra

I came back...but now i'm really off...lol
wink_face.gif

Aug 24, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #40 of 43
  And you accused me of "disrespect?"  Really?  Seriously?  Because your tone there was very, VERY condescending and elitist.

Anyway, that's my last word on all this, as you could debate back and forth FOREVER with me and Brooko, I'm sure.  Such debates within the community do indeed seem to be never-ending.

The important thing for the OP to keep in mind, and to take away from all this, is two-fold:

1.  He now has a number of good recommendations for potential new headphones, source equipment, etc.  He can also feel free to PM folks who have responded to this thread to ask for further details about some of the equipment they have recomomended.
2.  He now sees just how rife with subjectivity and debate the community of hi-fi audio-enthusiasts really is!  It's really remarkable.  Because the ears and perceptual systems of humans are such a fluid and varied thing, you can find any number of vastly differing positions or opinions on any given topic!  It's both fascinating and frustrating. . .fascinating, for obvious reasons, and frustrating because it can make the decision-making process (with regards to purchases) far more difficult!  What sounds good to one person often sounds like crap to another person, even though both people are audio-enthusiasts with truly discerning ears!

Sorry...like i said - i take audiophilia seriously. It's a way of life for me, and my main source of income...i respect your ( and everyone else's) opinions and let's go back to light - heartedness.

Aug 24, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #41 of 43
  And you accused me of "disrespect?"  Really?  Seriously?  Because your tone there was very, VERY condescending and elitist.

Anyway, that's my last word on all this, as you could debate back and forth FOREVER with me and Brooko, I'm sure.  Such debates within the community do indeed seem to be never-ending.

The important thing for the OP to keep in mind, and to take away from all this, is two-fold:

1.  He now has a number of good recommendations for potential new headphones, source equipment, etc.  He can also feel free to PM folks who have responded to this thread to ask for further details about some of the equipment they have recomomended.
2.  He now sees just how rife with subjectivity and debate the community of hi-fi audio-enthusiasts really is!  It's really remarkable.  Because the ears and perceptual systems of humans are such a fluid and varied thing, you can find any number of vastly differing positions or opinions on any given topic!  It's both fascinating and frustrating. . .fascinating, for obvious reasons, and frustrating because it can make the decision-making process (with regards to purchases) far more difficult!  What sounds good to one person often sounds like crap to another person, even though both people are audio-enthusiasts with truly discerning ears!

Sorry...I take audiophilia seriously (obviously overly so) and it is a way of life for me. It's also my main source of income...I respect your opinions and everyone else should too...

Feb 5, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #42 of 43
Hello, I am not sure about USA street prices as am based in the UK. I would highly recommend listening to the Audioquest Nighthawk which is expensive, but awesome at home headphone as well as portable. Amp will always improve sound but you do not need a really exoensive one as it is specked out as easy to drive with 25ohm and 100db sensitivity. If I had not purchased my HD 650's I would have gone for this headphone, but it is over twice the price of the HD 650 in the UK. I THINK on price point in the UK the HD 650 is the best value.

i sold my M50x and no doubt the Nighthawks would be much much much much superior in every regard, but would be concerned about carrying expensive £499 headphones with me out in public. I listened to Oppo PM3 and B&W 7 and Beoplay H7 direct from my iphone (lossless tracks) and also using Oppo HA2 amp. Only in my opinion the Nighthawk was in a completely different league and far better fom my experience. This might not be a fair comparison as maybe should have benchmarked against Oppo PM2 which is a closer price point. All headphones were already burned in which is the advantage of listening to them in as demo hifi shop headphones.

The Creative E5 soundblaster might be a good amp as it has EQ settings so you can adjust the sound according to your preference. I have it at his me and used with my previous Fidelio X2 and previous M50x. Improved sound from my TV and iPhone 6 plus dramatically (totally worth it).

I have been considering trading by HD 650 for the Nighthawk but can't bring myself to be parted with the HD 650's as they have become part of my psychi. Hearing the HD 650's on A good source is equivalent to 45minutes of Transcendental Meditation with a Yoga Master on undiscovered Mountain Hilltops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back