Want to upgrade from iPod Nano, had questions about iPod classic
May 11, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #16 of 26
this has been a wealth of info for me as i am also looking to upgrade from my Nano. i have the Nano 4th gen though. I've been eyeing the Cowons, but someone on here said they "fail." could you elaborate on this please? ive been wanting to get a new mp3 player because I'm tired of Apple and iTunes is just... tiresome. i also want something with an equalizer with custom settings that works on the mp3 itself, not just the music program. i also work out a lot, so something lightweight is ideal. my nano has 16gb, so it's gotta have a least that much memory or more.

also id like to have a nice brig, aesthetically pleasing interface...

any ideas guys?

[Sent from my HTC Inspire via Tapatalk using Swiftkey 3 Beta. Pardon errors.]

May 11, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #17 of 26
Quote:
this has been a wealth of info for me as i am also looking to upgrade from my Nano. i have the Nano 4th gen though. I've been eyeing the Cowons, but someone on here said they "fail." could you elaborate on this please? ive been wanting to get a new mp3 player because I'm tired of Apple and iTunes is just... tiresome. i also want something with an equalizer with custom settings that works on the mp3 itself, not just the music program. i also work out a lot, so something lightweight is ideal. my nano has 16gb, so it's gotta have a least that much memory or more.
also id like to have a nice brig, aesthetically pleasing interface...
any ideas guys?

Well don't take me too seriously, it was very personal considerations. In fact, I am still considering the Cowon J3. The X7 and the S9 are no goes for me. 

The thing is, they are pretty pricey for what they have. I am quite disappointed by the fact that I can't move much with the iPod classic though so I guess it is unfair to compare memory for cost. 
Cowon J3 is otherwise pretty good. Good tactile buttons, very fast response to screen, huge battery life (claims 64 but at minimum will be better than any iproducts), has a great screen and so on. Price is high imo. Unlike the iTouch, you don't have much to do with the screen aside from movies I am guessing since there really wouldn't be any apps made for it.

If you are looking for a new player, the Cowon j3 is actually pretty promising. No LOD but I doubt I will notice anything.

May 11, 2012 at 7:43 AM Post #18 of 26
I'm not sure how's the interface of the Cowon. The last time I read reviews, it was pretty laggy.
And if you want apps, no point going for Cowon, iTouch is your best bet.

May 11, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #19 of 26
Me I don't care about apps. I hear from reviews that the response time is actually amazingly quick and fast but that the UI itself is just annoying to get use to.

But apparently that can be remedied by user made UIs which are apparently very easy to implement.

May 11, 2012 at 7:55 AM Post #20 of 26
I have a cowon C2, ipod touch 4G, ipod 5th gen(wolfson),  also my household has iphone 3 and 4S, used to have 4th gen ipod nano.

I recommend the ipod touch 4G. easy interface, also there are many apps you can use EQu, equalizer, sonicmaxpro BBE (cowon sound), stereophonic, flacplayer app to name a few.
Just more versatile.

May 11, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #21 of 26
Except its very expensive to get a decent about of memory. It also has a much shorter battery life and also requires itunes, which is always a fail. As a pure media player, I think the J3 is better. If you like apps then its another story.

May 11, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #22 of 26
Quote:
Except its very expensive to get a decent about of memory. It also has a much shorter battery life and also requires itunes, which is always a fail. As a pure media player, I think the J3 is better. If you like apps then its another story.

expensive-yes.
touch battery life is fine just playing music. (cowon is much better).
itunes.not always a fail, works well for me.
as a pure media player cowon and ipod are on par when played with no eq, the only difference (was) cowons BBE made it excel, but you can get that on a touch/iphone now with the BBE app.

just music, sure the cowon battery life, eq and sound is fine. J3 is a popular model.

May 20, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #23 of 26

exactly why I've avoided the itouch. way too battery draining. I'm also trying to get AWAY from itunes lol. i dont need my music player to have apps, that's what my android phone is for. i think I'll be going with the j3. thanks guys.

May 23, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #24 of 26
The Sandisk Clip+ and Clip Zip are very nice. As for battery life, if around 12 hours isn't enough, they can be charged via usb battery pack while they play.

The Tekkeon MP1580 usb battery pack is nice since it takes 4 AA nimh batteries. It is only $15 on Amazon. It will charge nimh batteries in it via usb.
There are lion battery packs that hold even more power for the same size and weight, but are more expensive. With the Tekkeon mp1580, you can carry spare sets of AA nimh batteries
for even longer run time.

http://www.amazon.com/Tekkeon-MP1580-TEKCHARGE-Battery-Charger/dp/B006FXUS1C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337784059&sr=8-1

May 28, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:
exactly why I've avoided the itouch. way too battery draining. I'm also trying to get AWAY from itunes lol. i dont need my music player to have apps, that's what my android phone is for. i think I'll be going with the j3. thanks guys.

If you don't use the wifi and apps, and just play music, the 4th-gen Touch will play music for quite a long time.

May 28, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:
Thanks for those answers. Guess I cannot get a Classic then... I can't believe that the classic isn't usable for exercise. 

I am assuming you are talking about the Clip+? Seems like a pretty good player my only concern being that it has no Line Out. I did want a Touch but $400 for 64 gigs? Ridiculous... Thinking I should just get a Classic and use my Nano while exercising. 

Also, I have the 7th gen Nano so I have no idea what the wheel is like. The thing is, I don't like touch controls. I much prefer real controls.

I have a 6G classic and run with it in an arm band every day with no issues.

Or get a refurbished 5.5G and put a CF, SD, SSD, or mSata in and you don't have to worry about the hard drive.  The SSD will fit a classic also, do a search.

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back