Want to upgrade from iPod Nano, had questions about iPod classic
May 9, 2012 at 6:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

DNZGamer

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 19, 2012
Posts
223
Likes
23
Want to upgrade because I am tired of swapping out music on my 16 gig Nano. Very annoying, I just want to dump it all into a single device and forget it.

A few questions and concerns:
 
1. Why do I see so many people fighting over the Cirius vs Wolfson DACs? Do they really make much of a difference? I hear some people say that post-5th gen ipods don't properly support line out. I am one who can't even discern 250kbps vs FLAC so would I really notice the difference in DACs here?
 
2. How is the navigation wheel? I really dislike the Nano because it is quite a pain to navigate and select songs. Thinking something with actual buttons will feel better.
 
3. Heard in one of the reviews that it isn't good for when you are moving. Is this still true of Gen 7 classics? Will I just have music stopping when I run or is this gonna actually do damage to the ipod or is someone really exaggerating? 
 
4. How is the system response time? Is it fast and smooth compared to the Nano or will it stutter often when going through things like browsing through lists and album covers?
 
Thanks, and let me know if any of you are selling your iPod classics or want to buy an iPod Nano!
 
May 9, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #2 of 26

davidcotton

X-CANs and HDAMs
Joined
Jun 23, 2001
Posts
7,592
Likes
2,086
Quote:
Want to upgrade because I am tired of swapping out music on my 16 gig Nano. Very annoying, I just want to dump it all into a single device and forget it.

A few questions and concerns:
 
1. Why do I see so many people fighting over the Cirius vs Wolfson DACs? Do they really make much of a difference? I hear some people say that post-5th gen ipods don't properly support line out. I am one who can't even discern 250kbps vs FLAC so would I really notice the difference in DACs here?
 
2. How is the navigation wheel? I really dislike the Nano because it is quite a pain to navigate and select songs. Thinking something with actual buttons will feel better.
 
3. Heard in one of the reviews that it isn't good for when you are moving. Is this still true of Gen 7 classics? Will I just have music stopping when I run or is this gonna actually do damage to the ipod or is someone really exaggerating? 
 
4. How is the system response time? Is it fast and smooth compared to the Nano or will it stutter often when going through things like browsing through lists and album covers?
 
Thanks, and let me know if any of you are selling your iPod classics or want to buy an iPod Nano!


1)Taste more than anything I imagine.  Do a bit more research and you'll see that there's opinions on everything!
 
2) From what I've tried in the past the wheel is fine.  Little slow at times but nothing that's not liveable with.
 
3)The nano is flash based, no moving parts.  The Ipod Classic is hard drive based, so running with it really isn't adviseable anyway due to possible damaging to the hard drive.
 
4)No idea tbh.
 
Cheer
 
May 9, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #3 of 26

Dreamnine

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 17, 2009
Posts
471
Likes
26
I wouldn't go with a Classic - simply because its older and a HD.
 
There are plenty of flash players that offer much bigger capacity than 16Gb.
 
May 9, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #4 of 26

DNZGamer

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 19, 2012
Posts
223
Likes
23
Thanks DreamNine, I did look at a lot of opinions and they go both ways. I feel like people are having a war out there between the two brands of DACs and it seems like running music on different generations will give me a completely different sound signature or something... But I have a hard time believing that.
 
 
Quote:
I wouldn't go with a Classic - simply because its older and a HD.
 
There are plenty of flash players that offer much bigger capacity than 16Gb.

 
Can you recommend a high capacity player that also has decent form factor and a large battery life? I have scoured the internet and it is not to be found. Things like the Rocoo P are cool but only last about 10-12 hours compared to the Nano at 25 and the classic at 36. Same goes with the Sansas. The Cowons all fail various expectations. Honestly, hunting for DAPs has made me realize how well rounded and good iPods are. Seen a few exotic players but they often have strange failings from being really ugly, large or really short battery lives.
 
May 10, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #5 of 26

proton007

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 9, 2012
Posts
3,518
Likes
178
I own both the 4g Nano (16GB) and the 7g iPod.
 
1) DAC doesn't matter that much, negligible.
2) Navigation wheel same as nano, only larger.
3) Cannot use for running/activity. Can damage HDD.
4) Not as fast as nano, I can see the lag when loading album art if I scroll too fast. Its because its HDD based. The battery life suffers as well because of HDD. If you load lossless, it'll suffer more.
 
Flash based may suit you better. The Sansa can give you 40 GB max, and measures better than iPod.
If not, you'll have to go for iPod Touch.
 
May 10, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #6 of 26

DNZGamer

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 19, 2012
Posts
223
Likes
23
Quote:
I own both the 4g Nano (16GB) and the 7g iPod.
 
1) DAC doesn't matter that much, negligible.
2) Navigation wheel same as nano, only larger.
3) Cannot use for running/activity. Can damage HDD.
4) Not as fast as nano, I can see the lag when loading album art if I scroll too fast. Its because its HDD based. The battery life suffers as well because of HDD. If you load lossless, it'll suffer more.
 
Flash based may suit you better. The Sansa can give you 40 GB max, and measures better than iPod.
If not, you'll have to go for iPod Touch.


Thanks for those answers. Guess I cannot get a Classic then... I can't believe that the classic isn't usable for exercise. 

I am assuming you are talking about the Clip+? Seems like a pretty good player my only concern being that it has no Line Out. I did want a Touch but $400 for 64 gigs? Ridiculous... Thinking I should just get a Classic and use my Nano while exercising. 

Also, I have the 7th gen Nano so I have no idea what the wheel is like. The thing is, I don't like touch controls. I much prefer real controls.
 
May 10, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #7 of 26

proton007

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 9, 2012
Posts
3,518
Likes
178
Quote:
Thanks for those answers. Guess I cannot get a Classic then... I can't believe that the classic isn't usable for exercise. 

I am assuming you are talking about the Clip+? Seems like a pretty good player my only concern being that it has no Line Out. I did want a Touch but $400 for 64 gigs? Ridiculous... Thinking I should just get a Classic and use my Nano while exercising. 

Also, I have the 7th gen Nano so I have no idea what the wheel is like. The thing is, I don't like touch controls. I much prefer real controls.

 
Yes, talking about clip+, but yes, no true line out, it shouldn't matter that much though, considering that the internal amp is not that bad (1 Ohm impedance).
The touch is expensive because of the solid state memory. 
If you haven't used the wheel, I don't think you'd like it that much. Other forms of control like the Clip+ can be as good.
From your preference, I'd say the clip is a good choice. Physical controls, excellent quality, and you can just swap the memory cards in case you have a lot of music.
And yes, thats what I did, use the Classic at home, the Nano for commuting. 
Though I'd go for the Clip+ once my nano battery starts to go (3+ years already).
 
May 10, 2012 at 5:22 AM Post #8 of 26

davidcotton

X-CANs and HDAMs
Joined
Jun 23, 2001
Posts
7,592
Likes
2,086
Could take a look at the ssd modded ipod classics that are on ebay.  Few people on here have bought one without problems.
 
Cheers.
 
May 10, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #9 of 26

proton007

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 9, 2012
Posts
3,518
Likes
178
Quote:
Could take a look at the ssd modded ipod classics that are on ebay.  Few people on here have bought one without problems.
 
Cheers.

 
Yeah, one option, but how's the reliability??
 
May 10, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #10 of 26

DNZGamer

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 19, 2012
Posts
223
Likes
23
And hows the price o.O. I see them on here all the time, the iMods but they are incredibly expensive.
 
Sansa Clip+ 4GB is only $30 new at Futureshop right now! I think I should just do that...
 
May 10, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #11 of 26

proton007

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 9, 2012
Posts
3,518
Likes
178
Quote:
And hows the price o.O. I see them on here all the time, the iMods but they are incredibly expensive.
 
Sansa Clip+ 4GB is only $30 new at Futureshop right now! I think I should just do that...

 
How much data do you have? If it can be covered by the Clip+ with mSD then its a good deal. 
 
May 10, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #13 of 26

proton007

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 9, 2012
Posts
3,518
Likes
178
Quote:
It can cover a good selection. Too bad there is no bigger cards than that. The price + form factor with 15 hour battery life is an extremely good combo though.

 
Not to mention pretty good sound, and a 1 Ohm output impedance.
If you have more data, you can just use another microSD card to swap.
Personally, I also like the drag and drop interface. I'm sick of using iTunes everytime I have to add/remove music, especially on my Nano since I use it for checking out new stuff. For that reason I've stopped using iTunes and use Sharepod. Also, I miss the ability to delete music from the device itself, something I liked on my Creative Zen Micro.
And I don't know if you're a radio person, but I found the radio can be occasionally useful.
The iPod won its market on simplicity, honestly I think the Clip+ is even simpler in comparison.
 
May 11, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #14 of 26

DNZGamer

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 19, 2012
Posts
223
Likes
23
Nice. I like radio but the Nano won't let me use it with an LOD connected... 
 
Glad you can finally delete music straight up. That was always quite annoying. Is there any differences between Micro SD cards or should I just get the cheapest ones?
 
May 11, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #15 of 26

proton007

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 9, 2012
Posts
3,518
Likes
178
Quote:
Is there any differences between Micro SD cards or should I just get the cheapest ones?

 
Sandisk would probably be ok, its their music player after all. 
biggrin.gif

 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top