want to upgrade from AKG K26P?
Dec 6, 2007 at 3:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

driftwork

New Head-Fier
Hi Folks,

I have a pair of AKG K26P headphones that I got after reading through these forums. I'm truly happy with them.

A few months ago, I checked out the AKG K81DJ forum here at head-fi and a great many people seem to like them and were recommending them.

So, I went and checked them out a headphones shop and I've got to say I was really disappointed. They sounded hollow, dull and generally not nearly as good as my AKG K26p's.

Also, the designer of the K81DJ's seemed to have limited the head 'range' of the headband extensions because even at the furthest extensions, I could barely put them around my head and onto my ears. I don't think my head is that big?

Anyway, can anyone recommend an upgrade to the AKG K26P's?

They need to be portable and foldable.

Thanks in advance,

driftwork

P.S. can anyone recommend a forum similar to Head-Fi that deals with amplifiers and speakers.

Dec 6, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #2 of 14
you cannot compare an burn-in K26p to out of the box K81dj...you must give it a try, burn in em for 100hours then you'll sold your K26p like i do before or just throw em to your trash bag...for the head range of the headband there's a trick to make it more fit, like bending the metal part headband or put the headband more front, from you ussually use K26p headband...
wink.gif
you not gonna regret it cos K81dj are definitely a good upgrade from K26p...
smily_headphones1.gif
the words that you've said before "They sounded hollow, dull and generally not nearly as good as my" will reflect to your K26p later...
rolleyes.gif

Dec 6, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #3 of 14
Also remove that 2mm thick foam that covers the drivers. There is still cloth in front of them so drivers have some dust cover, but that thick foam muffles the sound.

But yeah, seems like AKG engineer had a kids in mind when he designed the headband of K81DJ...

Dec 6, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #4 of 14
i think the "hallow" sound is known as soundstage :p

edit: im a new owner of k518 and it's been 25 hour of burnin (worn if for about 18 hour of it), the sound just gets better
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 8, 2007 at 1:11 PM Post #6 of 14
I have a pair of k26p's as well. But I upgraded via IEM's instead of full cans. Can't say that the super fi 5 ebs are an upgrade haha. But I'm satisfied.

Dec 8, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by driftwork /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Folks,

I have a pair of AKG K26P headphones that I got after reading through these forums. I'm truly happy with them.

A few months ago, I checked out the AKG K81DJ forum here at head-fi and a great many people seem to like them and were recommending them.

So, I went and checked them out a headphones shop and I've got to say I was really disappointed. They sounded hollow, dull and generally not nearly as good as my AKG K26p's.

Also, the designer of the K81DJ's seemed to have limited the head 'range' of the headband extensions because even at the furthest extensions, I could barely put them around my head and onto my ears. I don't think my head is that big?

Anyway, can anyone recommend an upgrade to the AKG K26P's?

They need to be portable and foldable.

Thanks in advance,

driftwork

P.S. can anyone recommend a forum similar to Head-Fi that deals with amplifiers and speakers.

How did you come up with the idéa of buying k26p after reading this forum?
wink.gif

They are not very popular. The AKG K81DJ is supposed to be a LOT better, you need to get used to the new sound after using a headphone with such a weird sound.

Dec 8, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jTF2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of k26p's as well. But I upgraded via IEM's instead of full cans. Can't say that the super fi 5 ebs are an upgrade haha. But I'm satisfied.

good for you then...
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurra1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How did you come up with the idéa of buying k26p after reading this forum?
wink.gif

They are not very popular. The AKG K81DJ is supposed to be a LOT better, you need to get used to the new sound after using a headphone with such a weird sound.

yup, i used K26p before BUT i upgrade it to K518dj (same as K81dj in black colourscheme) and sold my K26p...
biggrin.gif
oh my...my...

Quote:

Originally Posted by cin__server /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok well i dont know about the headphone question, but there is a forum that deals in speakers, two actually, that are easily in the same league as head-fi.org

both are highly professional. (maybe even more so than Head-Fi)

and ? what you intend to share that URL's with us exactly ? sorry but i dont get it...
confused.gif

Dec 9, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

im answering the OPs question...silly
tongue.gif

Dec 9, 2007 at 1:12 PM Post #13 of 14
Thanks a million for your replies folks.

I'll give the K81DJ another try.

The thing is, when I tried them the first time, it was at a dedicated Headphone / Headphone amp boutique store in Taipei and they basically had every decent headphone available. The guys there were super knowledgeable but I honestly felt that it wasn't worth upgrading to something that didn't sound as good.

I'll give it another shot though.

To be honest, one of the reasons I also wanted to upgrade was because I felt that the the K81DJs would be more comfortable around my neck. I like to be able to wear headphones when I commute and pop them off my ears and onto my neck when I need to.

The AKG K26P's tend to strangle me and the stainless steel head band contracts automatically. As a result, its not very comfortable.

My first pair of headphones (quite terrible) were a pair of Sony MDR-V150's and while the sounded really bad, they were very comfortable around my neck with the sliding plastic headband extensions providing ample room for the biggest of heads and necks.

Later, I bought a pair of Audio-Technia ATH-FC5's. They sounded ok but had a spring loaded head band that would strangle the hell out of me when around my neck.

I upgraded to AKG and will likely stick to this brand unless another good recommendation for portable head-phones comes along.

Can someone post the link for instructions how to modify the headband on the K-81djs?

Cheers,

driftwork

Dec 9, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by cin__server /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im answering the OPs question...silly
tongue.gif

ooops, sorry...i missed that part, so my mistake then...
tongue.gif

Quote:

Thanks a million for your replies folks.

I'll give the K81DJ another try.

The thing is, when I tried them the first time, it was at a dedicated Headphone / Headphone amp boutique store in Taipei and they basically had every decent headphone available. The guys there were super knowledgeable but I honestly felt that it wasn't worth upgrading to something that didn't sound as good.

I'll give it another shot though.

To be honest, one of the reasons I also wanted to upgrade was because I felt that the the K81DJs would be more comfortable around my neck. I like to be able to wear headphones when I commute and pop them off my ears and onto my neck when I need to.

The AKG K26P's tend to strangle me and the stainless steel head band contracts automatically. As a result, its not very comfortable.

My first pair of headphones (quite terrible) were a pair of Sony MDR-V150's and while the sounded really bad, they were very comfortable around my neck with the sliding plastic headband extensions providing ample room for the biggest of heads and necks.

Later, I bought a pair of Audio-Technia ATH-FC5's. They sounded ok but had a spring loaded head band that would strangle the hell out of me when around my neck.

I upgraded to AKG and will likely stick to this brand unless another good recommendation for portable head-phones comes along.

Can someone post the link for instructions how to modify the headband on the K-81djs?

Cheers,

driftwork

if you look for comfort maybe you'll not gonna suit with K81dj, AVOID em IF you had a big head...you can try other cans like RP15mc or RP21 but that two cost more than K81dj, but i'm pretty sure they both much more less than K81dj with recable or headband mod...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back