Want to start painting. Where to begin?
Jul 11, 2007 at 5:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Cousin Patty

Headphoneus Supremus
I want to start painting as a hobby at home but I dont know much about the technical stuff like brushes, canvases, paints etc... I've just recently been inspired by this guy Nicholas Roerich. I really love the paintings I've seen of his and figured I'd like to start painting on my own but maybe in a similar style to his. Most of his art is done with oil on canvas or tempra on canvas. My friend paints and he uses like sealants and stuff for his canvases. I dont know what that's all about...

So anybody have any suggestions on where to start/beginner stuff to get? I'm not a total noob to art thankfully, Ive mostly done projects using digital photography and photo editing and stuff and I've taken some art classes before so I do have a pretty good eye for composition and colors and stuff. I'm really just looking to jump right in to the actual painting. I dont mind spending a bit of money to get started but not too much...

Jul 11, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #2 of 10
I suggest get a set of water miscible oils and explore. I wouldn't recommend starting with the panels right away- try making your own canvas with wood bars that you can buy in art stores. It really adds to the experience, as well as having a better feel with the water solubles.

Jul 11, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #3 of 10
Sign-up for a class. Adult Night School, local Art Center or possibly an artist in you area who gives lessons. Do talk to someone knowledgable before spending money on equipment and supplies. I'm a potter and I see so many people who want to learn to throw pots dump alot of money for stuff they don't need or will never use.

Jul 11, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #4 of 10
You really should take a class. With all the different kinds of brushes and techniques it will most likely be overwhelming unless you have a lot of money and time to invest in painting, paints and brushes are not cheap at all. I made all my own canvases as well, its really simple. My suggestion as well is to start by copying well known paintings so you get used to seeing how to mix colours properly to get a desired colour and how certain brush techniques are used properly. I haven't painted since I started university, I mostly just do pencil work now, but painting is fun when you have the time to invest in it.

Jul 11, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 10
Yeah, as the others have said, sign up for a class. Painting is hard and there are a lot of little nuances of painting that aren't clearly visible at first, being taught this is generally a good idea. Start with acryllics first, they are a little easier to manage than oils, and they are relatively cheap in case you mess up.

Also, try doing some drawing. It's cheap, quick, and it'll really help your shapes, forms, lighting, and get your eye ready for the visual challenges of painting.

Jul 11, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #6 of 10
I'd first check out a real art store in your area....none of these craft stores like Michaels. I googled and found that there's Asel art . They'd also let you know where local courses or groups are (you may luck out and find some still life painting groups...buddy up with some artists, and they'll give you free advise). Don't go hog wild yet with supplies, but still get some nice synthetic brushes that you can use acrylics and oil with. I'd get at least 3 different sizes, one mixing knife (never mix colors with a brush!!!), and go ahead and get pre-stretched canvas until you're confident that you'll be wanting to stretch your own canvas. With paint, it's probably still worth it to skip the "student" grade stuff....they tend to be light on the pigment so it gets to be more of a headache trying to figure out how to mix colors.

Acrylic is much easier to start off with. Some people don't like how quickly it dries...but it's easier to clean up, is actually very versatile, and you don't need the ventilation that you would with oil (as oils require turpentine and can have heavy metals in their pigments).

oh...PS...your friend who paints with oils. The "sealant" is more then likely a varnish. Since oil paint doesn't have a permanent binder (linseed oil never fully "dries"), many painters put on a transparent clear coat to protect the painting (a varnish). It's recommended you put one on about 6 months after you finished the painting (you have to wait so that the paint is fully cured).

Jul 11, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #7 of 10
Id start off with the front of your house, then move onto trickier things like window frames and furniture.

Ahh, wait...
wink.gif

Jul 11, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #8 of 10
I agree with the suggestion to take a class. They'll tell you what to buy and give suggestions on where to buy it. If you don't know how to draw, I'd suggest a drawing class first. You can get very frustrated trying to paint if you don't know how to draw if you're going to try to do anything representational. I'm speaking from experience here. I took 5 years of art lessons as a kid. A year of drawing was required before you could paint. I got out of it in my teens. As an adult I tried to pick it up painting again and got frustrated in my first couple of attempts.

Jul 11, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #9 of 10
Thanks for the help guys.

I was really just planning on doing some abstract/landscape type stuff from my imagination. Nothing too realistic. Are there any books that you recommend that can show me some basic techniques/ info in the meantime?

Jul 11, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are there any books that you recommend that can show me some basic techniques/ info in the meantime?

This one is a serious one that goes into a lot of stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/Artists-Handbo...4193003&sr=8-7

Color theory is the biggest thing about painting...so:

http://www.amazon.com/Exploring-Colo...4193192&sr=8-1

Way back when, I did have some good survey books on introductions to all the different painting mediums (and would have color photos).....but I don't have those books now, and it's hard to search the internet for them. Might be best to go to your local bookstore and skim through some books there. Pick out one that seems interesting and thorough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back