Want to spend about 155 $ on full ear Headphone, Recommend me some
Dec 28, 2006 at 4:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

emperorarghoslen

Head-Fier
I was looking at the Bose Triport and though I liked them because they were light my friends who have them say that they can break easily. Then I saw the Sennheiser Hd-555 and Hd-595 and liked them both . I will not move a lot so weight won't be an issue. I listen mostly to Black and death metal so I would like to ask you for help in picking up a good pair. I may be something other than the Sennheisers i have said here but it should be good for metal music and within 155$. Thanx

Dec 28, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #2 of 18
No Triports!! You'll kick yourself for wasting $150 on <$50 worth of product!

For metal? I have the HD555, and I don't find it that engaging for metal; better for jazz, acoustic, etc. Try getting a Grado SR-60 ($70) or Alessandro MS1 ($100, more refined, less harsh treble), they're much better for rock/metal (if worse than the Senns for other genres).

Dec 28, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #3 of 18
Death metal, Sennheisers are supposed to be good with.....but if you're really a metal junkie, a Grado fan I see in the making
wink.gif
They'll provide better impact for cymbals and electric guitars then the 555/595. The SR225 is the hallmark Grado....I have it's "brighter" brother so that it's more of a compliment to my Sennheisers. At least I wasn't too impressed with the SR60, but I'm used to more refined stuff. The SR60 will give you an idea of what all Grados sound like. But for $155, you should be able to get a used 225 for that.

Dec 28, 2006 at 4:56 AM Post #4 of 18
I have heard Grados are good for metal but i don't like the look that much.... ( probebly me jus being picky)...... but i do guess that i should give them a try if they are better than the Sennheisers.. having said that I am still about 3-4 weeks away from making a final decision on making my purchase since that when i get my paycheck but I have dropped the idea of the triports completely cause i saw a guy who dropped his triport from the chair onto the carpet floor in the waiting room of my dentist today and it cracked.....I mean how fragile is it :S.
Any more inputs?

Dec 28, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #5 of 18
One more thing: both the Grados and Sennheisers are open-backed, meaning that they have no isolation and, with loud volumes, leak sound for others to hear. Too bad that closed cans generally aren't as good for the price...

BTW, my HD555 survived several drops to the carpet. Since it's a mostly-plastic design, though, don't go throwing it around....

Dec 28, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by emperorarghoslen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have heard Grados are good for metal but i don't like the look that much.... ( probebly me jus being picky)...... but i do guess that i should give them a try if they are better than the Sennheisers..

That is true....Grados are their own things when it comes to looks and comfort
smily_headphones1.gif
At least being a U.S. company, they're supposed to have really good customer support. If it breaks, you can get it fixed: even if it's out of waranty, it won't cost much to repair.

stewgriff just made me think of something. If you're looking for a budget headphone that's good for metal and closed, look at the Sony MDR-V6 as well. It's $64 on Amazon and provides enough detail to be good for metal. Grados can't be beat for purely metal. IMHO, Sennheisers aren't bad, but they can get bass heavy......Grados tend to be the opposite and can be bass light (so great for metal that requires speed).

Dec 28, 2006 at 5:45 AM Post #8 of 18
That's something for the Search function...way differing opinions on this one. If you're using the Senns unamped, though, and know you won't buy an amp in the future, then most would say that it wouldn't be worth it.

You know you'll get sucked in, though, so you might as well buy the HD595. I started out asking n00b questions on the Senn HD497...and look at my sig. And I have a minor case of the "upgraditis" bug compared to a lot of others...

Dec 28, 2006 at 6:11 AM Post #10 of 18
about 555 vs 595....I haven't listened to the 555, but the 595 is one of my frequently used headphones. I hear that there are clear differences between the 555 and 595, but that the 595 is more "audiophile". I can attest that the 595 scales up nicely: it's a great audiophile headphone IMHO. Although, having said all that.....you might find it easier just to try a Grado: it's going to sound brighter and more transparent just by virtue of its sound signature.

Dec 28, 2006 at 7:58 PM Post #13 of 18
guys, the OP likes black and death metal. grab a used pair of Grado SR225, screw the looks, and ROCK.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back