Want to make some over-ears. Any sites with detailed instructions?
Nov 9, 2021 at 5:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

joeydgraffix

100+ Head-Fier
I can't find too much, but are there any sites or videos show what to buy , how to do the cabling and soldering to all the pieces?

As far as other pieces go like headbands or earpads I don't need that kind of info.

I want to make my ownheadphone plug , solder wires to it, make the cable, then solder it correctly to the speaker and then build the enclosure or strap.
No planars for now.

And then just as a side silly project with some very cheap speakers I wanted to see if there are any wiring diagrams to wire up something like 2 speakers on each side.

Yeah I know its going to sound like crap but I just want to experiment.

Nov 17, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #2 of 2
I had a quick look online for videos but didn't find anything particularly informative.
My suggestion would be to get a very cheap pair of headphones and slowly dismantle them, using a multimeter to buzz out the various connections to work out how it all goes together. That's how I learned to fix headphones and eventually make my own.

As for parts; either ebay or aliexpress can provide almost all the items required and a 3D printer really helps out with any custom parts needed.

How simple were you wanting the wiring on the headphones you're designing to be? Would it be a split cable, going to each ear cup separately, or a single sided cable going into one ear cup, then having a bridge cable crossing over to the other ear cup, around the headband?
I can draw you up a wiring diagram for both these wiring layouts if you'd like.

When you say you want to make your own headphone plug, do you mean the 3.5mm headphone jack connector?

For a dual speaker setup; I believe they should be connected in parallel , although I've never tried it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back