Want to listen online to various headphones?
May 16, 2014 at 12:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ashutoshp

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys. I wanted to draw your attention to the following company's website which posts audio samples online as heard from several different headphones and manufacturers (link to the website below).
I am looking for opinions in general from those more experienced than myself, and also for instance regarding how they sound compared to your experience? As well, you can even download the test track to try out on your rig first before you listen to the tracks through the embedded Soundcloud widget. 
    Why am I interested? Because I stay in a relatively isolated part of the USA and don't often have access to so many makes and models to try before I buy, so resources like this are phenomenally useful combined with a good old dose of crowd-sourcing. 

Link: 

http://www.sonicsense.com/blog/headphone-shootouts/which-headphones-are-best-listen-here-for-yourself#.U3YzuNJdXHY

I am sure most of you would have seen it but for those who haven't, I believe this is done by channeling music through a dummy head much like how frequency response measurements are performed for headphones by Tyll Hertsens at Innerfidelity.com or the folks at headphone.com, etc. And they burn-in their headphones for a 100 hours prior to testing.  
Thanks.
P.N. to the conspiracy theorists, I don't work for them
gs1000.gif
I am just a fellow head-timer like you all.    

May 16, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #2 of 3
IMO these are only useful for a handful of open-back headphones, and only to gauge their sound signature. You can't get a sense of open-ness or bass quality from these recordings. Most closed-back headphones sound slightly off, and some sound very off, probably due to a poor seal on the dummy head. The Ultrasone ED8 is the only closed-back headphone I've heard on the list that sounds relatively accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back