Want to get it right the first time. Advice?
Nov 12, 2009 at 12:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

6ces11

New Head-Fier
Ill be moving away to college soon and decided i want a set of full size cans for when im in my dorm or room. These will be connected to my laptop and i have an amp if needed. I dont need them to be portable because i have phonak audeo iems for that. I want to buy only one set of cans and keep them for a long time, so id like to get this right the first time.

The criteria: Must be comfortable since there home only use. I like clarity, but i also like music to sound fun. I want to feel the music. I listen to everything but mostly hip-hop (save the whole hip-hop/rap is not music comments), rock, r&b, and house/trance, so i need something with good bass. Im not a basshead by any means, but i want the bass to be accurate, clean, and upstanding. im willing to go up to $300.

The options:
Denon Ah-d2000= these are the top conteder from the reading i did. Are they a lot better than the 1001?
Akg k701/702= heard lots of good things. Plus they look so good and comfy
Senn hd595
Grado Prestige SR SR225i (or the 325 if they are that much better)
Beyer Dt 880/990/770= Dont know whats best for me yet
im also open to suggestions.

Please advise, i cant afford to mess this up (literally).

Thanks
darthsmile.gif

Nov 12, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mythless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hrmmm dunno if you're soundcard on your laptop can power some of these phones, will you be looking into an amp?

already have one.

Nov 12, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 13
The open cans will likely annoy the hell out of your roommate, so I'd go with the D2000s.

If that doesn't worry you, K701s or DT880s.

Nov 12, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #6 of 13
I would say a closed headphone.
Your environment can be noisy thus reduced your enjoyment.

closed headphone is for other people and for you too.

Nov 12, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #7 of 13
Save up a bit more and get the closed Denon AHD-5000's.

Nov 12, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #8 of 13
You need to consider a couple of things.

First: open or closed? Is it okay if your headphones leak sound out? If you need the music to be kept only to you, you have to look at closed headphones. Keep in mind that, as a general rule, open headphones are considered to have better sound quality.

Second: what kind of sonic signature do you think you will prefer? All the headphones you listed all have very different signatures... I think there's enough there to create a spectrum of sonic signatures. Read about what each headphone sounds like, and make a decision based on which you think you will enjoy the most out of those.

Lastly, all the headphones you listed are considered good. There's no way to "mess up" picking one of them, really, just as there's no real way to "mess up" picking a flavor of ice cream.

I know you hoped to have people tell you which specific headphone to get, but all that brings is fans of a certain headphone fanboy-ing theirs up. It's not as easy as "headphone A is the best for you", there's no straight answer. Use the search function, spend the time to carefully consider everything that everyone's said about the headphones you are considering. It's more work, but you'll be better-informed and you'll make the best decision that way, IMO.

Nov 12, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by az2123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The secret to getting it right the first time is to immediately delete change your password and delete Head-Fi from your bookmarks the exact moment you buy your new headphones.

Good luck.

LOL That's what I should have done. Sorry about our wallets.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #11 of 13
Don't worry so much about getting it right the first time. Head-Fi is a journey; most long-time members don't own or don't listen much to their first set of good headphones. I sold mine. While I still think they're good headphones and recommend them, I moved on.

You will, too.

However, you can still really enjoy your first pair and all the others along the way. Don't panic over finding the "perfect" pair your first time out. Get something that appeals to you and is affordable. Then give them a good listen for several months, keep reading and go to a meet or two. You'll know when you're ready for the next step.

More than anything, though, get a pair and don't agonize. The majority of headphones discussed here are quite good and you will find something to enjoy in each of them. You may or may not stick with it in the long term, but they're all a cut above probably anything you've listened to, so get a pair - don't worry about the small stuff - and start enjoying them.

Nov 12, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #12 of 13
^Good advice. On top of that, buy used. The FS forums here are a very safe and easy way to buy phones. People here in general take very good care of equipment and you often get it in almost new condition. You get a more than significant discount and, in addition, you can resell them for the price you paid and not lose any money in the transaction.

Nov 12, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by 6ces11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The options:
Denon Ah-d2000= these are the top conteder from the reading i did. Are they a lot better than the 1001?
Akg k701/702= heard lots of good things. Plus they look so good and comfy
Senn hd595
Grado Prestige SR SR225i (or the 325 if they are that much better)
Beyer Dt 880/990/770= Dont know whats best for me yet
im also open to suggestions.

Please advise, i cant afford to mess this up (literally).

Thanks
darthsmile.gif

THe Beyers and AKG will need decent amplification, or you won't get anything near your money's worth from any of them. You have an amp, but can it drive those phones; they are power hungry.

Amping a poor source, like a laptop soundcard, with good quality phones is more likely to reveal how poor the card is. Amping is only a good idea when basic source requirements are in place.

More $$ doesn't neccesarily = better sound. What do you listen to, how do you like to hear it, it is the way to approach buying a phone. The 'best' in a given price range doesn't exist.

Look for a phone that doesn't require amping. The Grados and Senns there fit that bill, not sure on the Denon. But Grado and Senn are very differnt in sound, some would say polar opposites, so that's why matching how you like your music to sound, is better than looking for the 'best'.

You may not find this out with your first headphone, unless you have somewhre you can audition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back