want to find IEMs or buds for exercizing (jogging), <$75
Sep 29, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goratrix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I honestly don't understand how anyone can use IEMs for running, can you even hear anything through the loud thumping noises?

Is that pretty much unavoidable with IEMs? Cause that is one of the things I'm trying to avoid...

Sep 29, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #17 of 19
Take my advice... get the Sennheiser PMX80! NOTHING I have ever worn while running compares to them. I know... I know... there's a band (it's very low profile and runs behind your head, just above your neck), but trust me... these are the best for running.

I've used several low cost earbuds and ear clips, as well as some higher end duals and triples. Needless to say, the buds NEVER stayed in and constantly needed adjusting. The clips sounded like crap and never quite fit right to begin with... and they ALL suffered from that "drowning" that occurs when too much sweat gets in 'em (some even died altogether).

The Sennheiser MX75 (Twist-to-Fit) were the only other buds to come close to the PMX80 and I didn't think I would find anything better, but they too became sweat clogged regularly within the first mile of my run. Not only that, but when stretching, gravity would pull the buds ever so slightly away from their position causing the volume level to differ with every movement. Same thing goes for running: Each time my feet would make contact with the ground, the volume would change... of course, it wasn't as bad as it my sound in my description (when I'm covered in sweat and panting, I don't tend to be too picky about my music).

But I eventually gave up on them when they shorted out twice under warranty. That's when I tried the PMX80. I was real hesitant to purchase headphones with a behind-the-head band, but I managed to talk myself into it... and I'm glad I did. The audio quality is more than sufficient for running, they're sweat proof and very RARELY get drowned out... and the band applies just enough pressure to keep the phones seated in your ears during your entire stretch/workout. They require NO adjusting!

I honestly believe these to be the absolute best choice for running and I've tried a lot.

Sep 29, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

I honestly don't understand how anyone can use IEMs for running, can you even hear anything through the loud thumping noises?

That sounds like rotten microphonics. You can handle that by wearing them with the wires behind the ears, or with a clip.

You can also adjust your form so that you're stomping less. Better for knees and hips that way.

I've been running with IEMs exclusively for years, BTW.

Sep 29, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #19 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goratrix /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Sonys I use have some "technology" to reduce this noise. It really does work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back