want new floor standing speakers heres the options im looking at
Dec 8, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #16 of 24
Ya and the onkyo has alot more ports too, Gonna order the onkyo sometime today:)

Really wish i could buy speakers too like the pokes but receiver is more important and comes first:)

I post back in this thread or make another thread for speakers options but i do like the pokes but if i can afford more by than i problee will go for the higher ones:)

Thanks for the help guidostrucnk and everybuddy else that posted:)
Quote:
I would personally choose the Onkyo. Burr- Brown DAC'S inside. I find the Onkyo receiver's to be better for music than the Denon. Both equal as far as movies IMO.

Dec 8, 2010 at 9:29 AM Post #17 of 24

No problem. Cheers
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Ya and the onkyo has alot more ports too, Gonna order the onkyo sometime today:)

Really wish i could buy speakers too like the pokes but receiver is more important and comes first:)

I post back in this thread or make another thread for speakers options but i do like the pokes but if i can afford more by than i problee will go for the higher ones:)

Thanks for the help guidostrucnk and everybuddy else that posted:)
Quote:
I would personally choose the Onkyo. Burr- Brown DAC'S inside. I find the Onkyo receiver's to be better for music than the Denon. Both equal as far as movies IMO.

Dec 8, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #18 of 24
Mission offers a lot of budget speakers that sound pretty decent when properly driven. Or is that "problee"? 
bigsmile_face.gif
 Your grammar reminds me of this: 

Polk is a great suggestion as well. You could also look into a Swan 2.1 setup. 

Dec 8, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #19 of 24
Sorry about problee.. lol  meant probably, I type too fast and all kind of words just pop out or what ever comes out of my mind sometimes.. lol  Will slow down next time:)

Funny video:)

Ya im gonna wait for the speakers right now, But will start looking again next month or so, The swan 2.1 looks nice but it doesin't seem like it would have alot of bass in it as i like, As i herd its mainly built for mids and highs and does nice on lows too but not as much as i would want it too. But ya i would prefer too use a receiver and add what speakers i want and can always upgrade too diffrent speakers in the future. But the pokes is first in my list right now, So probably will get those when i get more cash.

Quote:
Mission offers a lot of budget speakers that sound pretty decent when properly driven. Or is that "problee"? 
bigsmile_face.gif
 Your grammar reminds me of this: 

Polk is a great suggestion as well. You could also look into a Swan 2.1 setup. 

Dec 8, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #21 of 24

Quote:
Ya its mainly gonna be two channel right now but i do want a receiver that can power a sub too if needed in the future., So im not sure if a 2 channel receiver has that too?

the receiver doesn't "power" the subwoofer, any current HT sub will be active so it has its own amplification.

a typical subwoofer will have both an RCA input option (line level) and a speaker wire input option (high level) so you can hook it up to a HT receiver or a stereo receiver.  Either way, the sub will have its own amp.

Quote:
Also is it best too use optical? instead of a rca too 3.5mm cable?

in general a digital signal will be a little better, if only to avoid the stereo-mini jack output which is often a weak DAC.  But for 2-ch audio it shouldn't matter  too much assuming both DAC's are equal.... if you have the optical of a digital transmission and the receiver has digital inputs, go ahead and use them!

Quote:
What receiver is better out of these 2?

they are honestly pretty comparable -- basic entry-level 5.1 HDMI receivers with 3D support. 

Dec 8, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #22 of 24

Have you tried by yourself,?

What Receiver and Soundcard have you used?
Quote:
in general a digital signal will be a little better, if only to avoid the stereo-mini jack output which is often a weak DAC.  But for 2-ch audio it shouldn't matter  too much assuming both DAC's are equal.... if you have the optical of a digital transmission and the receiver has digital inputs, go ahead and use them!

Dec 8, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #23 of 24
I've compared digital vs. analog extensively on my setups.  Most of the time it's a CD -- either playing on a CD player, DVD player, or Blu-ray player where I can "double connect" with both analog and digital and flip back and forth easily.  Always played on a Denon AVR (various models but currently a 2310ci) with pretty nice Energy speakers (RC-10's).

I also have a Mac Mini that I use for music and HTPC stuff.  I have compared ripped MP3's played via mini-to-RCA analog output of the Mini to the same song playing off a CD via a digital (optical) connection, flipping back and forth between inputs on the receiver.... also have compared iPod headphone jack output.  Admittedly in these scenarios analog vs. digital is not the sole variable..... but I've also done similar comparisons playing just the MP3, analog (RCA) vs. digital (optical or HDMI) from an Apple TV.

In my experience, a competent player will sound the same playing 2-ch audio whether analog or digital.  Most consumer DAC's (like the one built into a Blu-ray player or a good HT receiver) will be relatively transparent, won't be much to choose from either way.  I do think the mini-jack output of the Mac Mini sounds a bit "degraded" vs. the same music playing off a CD digitally... a little muddier, a little less separation / detail.

YMMV... it really depends on your ears, your speakers, your room, the source material, etc.  However you slice it, it's not going to be a DRAMATIC difference in most cases.

Dec 9, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #24 of 24
Well no, but there's no room on my desk.  The way my dorm is set up, the desk is fixed along the wall and there's (in order) computer monitor 1, computer monitor 2, roomate's TV.  There's literally no space on top.  I'm in for the boom/rocking effect less than SQ because I've got my headphones for listening to high quality stuff, but no one else will hear the difference.

Quote:
yikes, I wouldn't recommend putting towers UNDER the desk!  Are your ears in your knees?
tongue_smile.gif

I would instead rather go with a small pair of monitors on top of the desk with a subwoofer down below. 

The A5's sound awesome from what I've heard....

Quote:
Actually, this is exactly my condition.  I need either 2.0 or 2.1 for my room, and my budget was at about the same amount.  I need something that will fit under a desk that's got about a 28'' clearance.  I was looking at a pair of Polk Monitor 50's, but they are too big :S

I was also considering the possibility of getting powered speakers like the Audioengine A5's.

Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back