Want a Vinyl Setup need help getting started.
Jul 15, 2011 at 7:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

tom_3_21

Head-Fier
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, if not please point me in the right direction.
I have recently been bitten by the vinyl bug after listing to a friends setup, and I have been put off CD's for life =)
I am looking to buy a turntable and start a record collection, however I have no idea where to start. I currently listen to music on a pair of Audio Technica ATH - AD700 Headphones through a USB DAC on my laptop.
So basically I want a setup that I can listen to through these headphones and eventually I will get a decent set of speakers aswell.
I am after something that doesn't cost too much but will produce a nice sound (I have been led to believe this is possible with vinyl).

So first off what am I going to need to buy? I figure it's just a turntable and an amplifier? (as I said I am very new to this)

Secondly can someone suggest a nice setup to buy?

and finally is there anything I need to watch out for when buying this type of equipment?

Any help is much appreciated,

Tom

Jul 15, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #3 of 19
Also I forgot to mention I am on a bit of a tight budget (would like to keep it under $500 but could go up) and therefore would not mind getting second hand equipment if anyone had any suggestions.
I visited TTVJ's web page and looks like some very nice equipment, quite pricey though!
Just out of interest, how much was your 'back into vinyl setup' all up and what did it include?

Jul 16, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #4 of 19
If you can stretch a little, look for a used Rega Planar 3/P3 at Audiogon. $500 or so should get you one.

Set it up with a cheap cartridge and phonostage. Not ideal, but it'll get you into the game. You'll be able to upgrade to much better cartridges and phonostages. Also, these Regas have a cottage industry of upgrades and mods. Spend a few hundred more on those and you'll have a killer 'table.

Jul 16, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #5 of 19
I would still discuss your needs with Todd.  I started with the SOTA Moonbeam with the Grado gold cartridge and then upgraded to the SOTA Comet with the Grado reference cartridge and now I made my third and final upgrade to a VPI table with a Benz-Micro cartridge.

The two SOTA's purchased from Todd with the VPI coming from AudioGon.

Jul 16, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #6 of 19
Uncle Erik -
I have had a look at second hand Rega Planar 3 turntables and I think ill be able to find one in my budget, and I like the look of these.  So could you recommend a phonostage and cartridge to go with it just so I can get an idea of the total cost.
as I said I am new to buying any kind of audio equipment and really have no idea about these things.

Audio Addict -
I have not personally contacted TTVJ but I have been to the website, do you think there will be any advantage buying a brand new rig? would I not get a better deal going second hand?

thanks for the help so far guys.

Jul 17, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #7 of 19
I'm not sure of prices or availability in NZ. Though Rega's cartridges are a good place to start. They sound good and also have a third mounting screw, which means you'll get perfect alignment every time, no fuss, no tools or alignment charts. The Grado Black and Shure MX97E cartridges are very good, too.

Any inexpensive solid state phonostage should work well, you'll find some on Amazon. If you want name brand, I used a NAD PP2 with my Planar 3. Costs a little more, but it's well-regarded and I was happy with it.

Jul 18, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #8 of 19
Ok this is looking good so far I will be able to get a Planar 3 turntable and NADPP2 phonostage within my budget.
Looking at the NAD PP2 I noticed there is no direct input for headphones or volume control, as I said before I will be using this with headphones to begin with until I get a speaker setup.
So my question is what additional equipment will I need to use this with headphones?

Thanks for the help so far.

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #9 of 19

Quote:
Ok this is looking good so far I will be able to get a Planar 3 turntable and NADPP2 phonostage within my budget.
Looking at the NAD PP2 I noticed there is no direct input for headphones or volume control, as I said before I will be using this with headphones to begin with until I get a speaker setup.
So my question is what additional equipment will I need to use this with headphones?

Im not exactly sure myself, but if you want to use the Planar with headphones, i think that means a headphone amp (preferably with a DAC) such as a Burson 160 or something similar.

Jul 20, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #10 of 19
Which USB DAC do you have? Is it just a dac or does it also work as an amp? Does it have analog (RCA) inputs?

If not you'll need a turntable with a cartridge, phono preamp, and a headphone amp.

You also get a receiver that takes phono input (either vintage or new) instead of the phono pre and headphone amp with a bonus of a nice speaker amp too!

I have this set up: Technics SL-1200 mkII, vintage Marantz reciever, ATH-AD700 or Swan speakers

Jul 20, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #11 of 19
I just have a basic DAC which will not be of use in this setup,
Getting a receiver sounds like a good idea as it may be another 6 months or so until I get around to buying speakers.
So I would just need to get a Turntable, cartridge, and receiver? Could you possibly suggest a receiver to go with this setup?

and also off the track a bit, when I do get around to getting a set of speakers will I also be able to connect my laptop as a source?

Jul 21, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #12 of 19
Take a look at the older receivers from Marantz and NAD. They're affordable and of good to great quality.

Ones made prior to 1990 or so should have a phonostage, so you won't have to buy a separate one. Buy one of those if you find one.

They'll also have an amp suitable for speakers.

As for a DAC, hook it up to the auxillary or CD input.

If the receiver has a tape loop out/record out, connect a headphone amp there. That will let you swap headphones/speakers easily.

Aug 5, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #14 of 19
I believe that's an 80's era Marantz. IMO Marantz stuff from the 70's is a bit better but this should work fine and is nice and compact.

From the picture it looks like it has a headphone plug so all you would need is this Marantz and your turntable to start enjoying vinyl.

Aug 23, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #15 of 19
Hi original poster here again sorry for the late reply (been very busy lately studying), I ended up missing out on the other Marantz PM310  (www.marantz.pytalhost.eu/PM310) reciever, but I have tracked down a turntable (Rega Planar 3) so I am sorted there.

As for the reciever I have found another one http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/2235.html for a very good price, but not sure whether it's worth getting?

Thanks for the help so far everyone who's replied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back