Walnut V3 dac amp with balanced output
Jun 7, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #108 of 126
Tested Walnut V3

Headphone AMPs (or as a headphone amplifiers)
Simple test reports for "dummies":
Unbalance
Balance
Professional tests report:
Unbalance
Balance

Linear outputs (or as a linear outputs)
Professional tests report:
Sharp
Short Slow
Short Sharp
Slow

On-line comparison services with Walnut V3

Comparison of change the frequency response of joint work of Walnut V3 with different headphones

Comparison of amplifier voltage and headphone sensitivity for optimal sound playing

Comparison of voltage graphs

Comparison of characteristics:
Unbalance
Balance

Volume comparison:
Unbalance
Balance

Walnut V3 included in list for headphones match to headphones for certain listening conditions:
Unbalance
Balance

Dec 21, 2018 at 6:27 AM Post #109 of 126
CAVEAT: This post is solely for those who had bought the highly-flawed first version Walnut V3 (socketed OPA2604) that's been gathering dust.

Took out my almost-unused Walnut V3 recently with the aim to see which firmware worked best (ie: least buggy):
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1MHCw2rtKurTkv0xDWCpmXzufU3mSofzt

To cut a long story short, I found the least buggy installation files were:
1. System folder from 10.11 (the first link with rar compression). This should be factory installed, so unlikely needs upgrading. The instructions are in there, but not well written.
2. Update.bin file from V3-11.2 (2 Nov 2017).

The inter-song pops have been eliminated with update.bin (2 Nov 2017). It's still limited to mp3 & flac 16bit songs (have not tried others), heats up like my pocket's on fire and with the antiquated GUI. Sadly, newer releases (Jan & Feb 2018) brought back the popping.

Having replaced OPA2604 with SSM2139P, paired with Koss KSC75, it sounds like an old school tube amp. Been using it for past 3 days, imho, it's now usable for basic listening. Good luck!

Dec 21, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #110 of 126
Hi purplesun to update the V3 do you just put the file on the root of card? On my player OS is uCOS V2.91 and Hardware is WALNUT V3V1.0. When I try to update at the end it says System File Lost

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2018 at 3:33 PM Post #111 of 126
Yes, update.bin in root, and hold down "-" button when switching on.

The "System file lost" error is likely a mismatch between update.bin and system folder versions.
- 2 Nov 17 & earlier update.bin needs to be matched with system folder from 10.11 rar file.
- Newer update.bin needs to be matched with system folder from V3-1.18 zip file.

To copy over the system folder:
- Put system folder in root.
- Hold down "lock" button when switching on.
- Press "lock" button again to confirm system folder erasure..
The copying process takes a while.

Good luck.

Dec 21, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #113 of 126
Did you get screen calibration after the system folder upgrade?
I just tried it, but calibration screen quit on me halfway and left the touchscreen disabled.
Did it a second time and it calibrated OK. Now, it back working again.

Dec 21, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #116 of 126
Yeah, I suspect there's something wonky with the screen controller on mine as well; quitting halfway through while calibrating.
Just so we have the similar installation setup up:
- 32GB microSD card in fat32 format
- system folder from 10.11 rar file.
- update.bin from V3-11.2 zip file.

I will just use mine until it gives up the ghost. Been eyeing a Zishan anyway; which was what brought about the resurrection of this old unit.

Dec 21, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #119 of 126
Exactly! That's why V3-11.2 was such a big step forward for me; the popping between tracks, in previous updates, was really irritating. It still pops once, when you start from silence but that perfectly acceptable to me.

Jan 1, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #120 of 126
You guys with your fancy daps with screens and balanced outputs?? Who needs em? I don't, classic walnut is where it's at, modified with Nichicon Muse KZ all around, ALPS pot, and a Burson V5i-D opamp, which is fantastic btw.

da nut.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back