Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Feb 16, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #2,072 of 3,631
I thought i was pretty good on opamps then saw some guys discussing SS3601/SS3602 in opamp thread here. Anyone got these bad boys? (3602 i would imagine as that's the dually)

Damn that's 'spensive. But it does look like the cat's ass.

Feb 16, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #2,073 of 3,631
I ordered mine without SD card.  Wouldn't trust SD card ordered from Taobao.  The percentage of getting fake ones are really high!  
frown.gif

Feb 16, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #2,075 of 3,631
What's a micro sd 8 GB today? Nothing.
I would prefer to buy my Walnut V2 without any accessories or card if sold for £20:grin:.

The Chinese music card is handy for burn in.

Feb 16, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #2,076 of 3,631
  If you are gonna leave it like that with those long leads on the caps, i would very strongly suggest putting heatshrink or electrical tape over the leads.

thank you for the reminder, yeah this was just an attempt to see what would fix the burnt through-hole, I will make the proper cosmetic/worksmenship treatment once I confirm this is a permanent repair.

I also noticed that now my modded walnut's volume pot is linear from off all the way to max-turn.  But I can't compare my current mod's max volume to my stock walnut's max volume (i cant remember how loud it was)  But in current config, max-turn is still very very loud.  (For those that joined late, some walnut volume pots reach very high volume at around half a turn from the off position, and then gain very little volume from half-turn to full-turn though this small gain is still noticeable.)

so just a data point and I cant explain why it is happening this way

Feb 16, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #2,077 of 3,631
thank you for the reminder, yeah this was just an attempt to see what would fix the burnt through-hole, I will make the proper cosmetic/worksmenship treatment once I confirm this is a permanent repair.

I also noticed that now my modded walnut's volume pot is linear from off all the way to max-turn.  But I can't compare my current mod's max volume to my stock walnut's max volume (i cant remember how loud it was)  But in current config, max-turn is still very very loud.  (For those that joined late, some walnut volume pots reach very high volume at around half a turn from the off position, and then gain very little volume from half-turn to full-turn though this small gain is still noticeable.)

so just a data point and I cant explain why it is happening this way

I think it's a circuit thing. It still dies it with my Alps pot though not as bad as the stock pot.

Feb 16, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #2,078 of 3,631
After some hours with the Walnut (still Burson V5i op amp in mine) and the Meze 99 Classic it's safe to say that this is another great pairing, even excellent actually :wink:

Feb 16, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #2,079 of 3,631
another data point FWIW:  I am happy to report that upping the capacitance of the input and output caps, the further bass roll-off from earphone impedance loading has been improved.  in layman's term, it should make the Walnut less picky about earphone pairing (aka, better synergy with more earphones)  and apologize for the jagged measurements, I am still not very good at adjusting my laptop line-in gain to capture a smooth curve.

KZ ZS3 (spec from gearbest)
impedance: 18
sensitivity: 106

KZ ZST
impedance: 18
sensitivity: 120

NuForce EX600
impedance: 16
sensitivity: 100

linking @hakuzen measurements as reference, tho i dont have any of the earphones used in his measurement, but the idea is there:  hybrids and low impedance earphones have bad synergy with stock Walnut
http://www.head-fi.org/t/800208/the-rmaa-rightmark-audio-analyzer-source-and-audio-device-measurement-thread-measurements-in-post-3-tutorial-in-post-2/135#post_13107087

Feb 16, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #2,084 of 3,631
  ^ it is a JRC4558D

You'll find the signature especially appealing if you are using buds I think. Do check in after though.

Yup! So far with Zen 1.0's and also with Nighthawks, really really REALLY nice! 
beerchug.gif

Friggin' loving this silly little 'nut!

Feb 17, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #2,085 of 3,631
  Can you give us, to the best of your abilities, what the sound signature of the Burson V5i is like in comparison to others you have tried. 

I am not peter, but my impression of V5i in the nut - compared to NE5532 - is that it has a very comparable midrange but has superior detailing, soundstage and more accurate instrument placement. It also has a far increased treble extension

Users who are viewing this thread

Back