Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Feb 2, 2017 at 6:26 AM Post #1,786 of 3,631
  ^ Should do fine sound wise. I have a sanyo os-con on the way for power cap. I just hope they hold up without leaking because supposedly it's important to de-rate organic polymer caps more-so than other electrolytics and using 16v for power cap where walnut is putting out 15-16v, is risky, really should be using 25v.

The issue with walnut is that nearly no good audio caps will fit in the 1000uf 25v size. Also organic poly's don't come in high voltage/uf anyway, you will have to drop down to 680uf to get a 25v, but this is actually fine, due to organic poly's higher conductivity and lower ESR essentially means you can get away with much lower capacitance for the same task, eg a 330uf would probably suffice as the power cap I believe, but why not just go with 680uf 25v for kicks.

If a 680uf works that would be great and make it able to fit in there. yeah, true that running a 16v cap at 16v is a little sketchy... I haven't placed my order yet so i am on the fence if i am gonna get all 16v caps for psu or some 25v's. (figuring out if i need knobs too mostly) 

Feb 2, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #1,787 of 3,631
Hello, may i know if there is anyway to shuffle on this dap? Would be mostly using it to commute, so not enough time listen to a whole album. It would get repetitive really fast if your listening to the same songs in the same order everyday.

Feb 2, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #1,789 of 3,631
Hello, may i know if there is anyway to shuffle on this dap? Would be mostly using it to commute, so not enough time listen to a whole album. It would get repetitive really fast if your listening to the same songs in the same order everyday.
as long as you don't switch SD card, the walnut play back where you left it off. Like a cassete tape player sort of. I've been listening to a 64gb card since 2 weeks now. Haven't listened to the same track yet!

Feb 2, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #1,790 of 3,631
Welp, the LM4562 which sounds awesome in my Walnut is the culprit of the noise.  If I plug a power cable into the Walnut while playing music the noise goes away, but as soon as I remove the power cable the noise reappears.  I have no other explanation  other than the opamp being the issue. The 4972 makes the same noise.

Feb 2, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #1,791 of 3,631
  Welp, the LM4562 which sounds awesome in my Walnut is the culprit of the noise.  If I plug a power cable into the Walnut while playing music the noise goes away, but as soon as I remove the power cable the noise reappears.  I have no other explanation  other than the opamp being the issue. The 4972 makes the same noise.

Electronics design is as much art as science. You can design an elegant "perfect" solution on paper only to have it suck in real world conditions.There are always unintended consequences. From there you decide which ones you can live with and tweak those you can't until you have a livable solution.

Feb 2, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #1,792 of 3,631
  Electronics design is as much art as science. You can design an elegant "perfect" solution on paper only to have it suck in real world conditions.There are always unintended consequences. From there you decide which ones you can live with and tweak those you can't until you have a livable solution.

Yup I agree trial and error.

Feb 2, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #1,793 of 3,631
I was using a generic solder sucker and then tried using copper braid.  Let me know how the 808 works, I may have to get one.   When I took it to my employees dads house he used a high end solder sucker.  That didn't help, probably cause I made it worse using my methods.  

It's not you, I commented that the pcb through hole design makes it REALLY difficult to remove caps (compare to non through holed pcb), let alone that pot

Feb 2, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #1,795 of 3,631
Is anyone interested in buying my Walnut v2?

I've been really impressed with it, but now have a new obsession of modding ancient iPods so I'm not using it anymore.

It's in perfect condition and just run in.  If you live near Stafford, UK I'm happy for collection in person, or I can pop on Ebay and drop you the link and post.

Drop me a PM if interested.

Cheers

Steve

Feb 2, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #1,796 of 3,631
  Is anyone interested in buying my Walnut v2?

I've been really impressed with it, but now have a new obsession of modding ancient iPods so I'm not using it anymore.

It's in perfect condition and just run in.  If you live near Stafford, UK I'm happy for collection in person, or I can pop on Ebay and drop you the link and post.

Drop me a PM if interested.

Cheers

Steve

I bet @groucho69 wants it

Feb 2, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #1,797 of 3,631

Users who are viewing this thread

Back