Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Dec 11, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #136 of 3,631
BTW guys the two options on taobao are no memory card (the $17 option), or plus a memory card and microSD USB reader (the $21 option).
But if you are only getting the walnut, not sure you'd have very much after paying china shipping and shipping to you and commission. so i would recommend to grab some other things too from taobao if you guys are doing that...

Dec 11, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #138 of 3,631
  Btw what software do you use to convert FLAC to WAV?

Some of my favorites are in the 1st post. dbPowerAmp is great, but the one built into Foobar2000 is really really good. You can set it to not copy any metadata, which is very useful.

IF you are on a Mac, I remember XLD being a good option,

also on either OS you can simply get flac.exe and run it in the command line to decompress into a WAV.

Dec 11, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #140 of 3,631
Ordered,n ow just have to sit and wait.

Interested in using it as a DAP with a bit of power foremost as I'm thinking of getting the Zen 2, but also as an amp for same reason. I have the TY HP320 on order and I think they're supposed to be hard to drive, so hopefully they should come in a similar timeframe.

(Ok the above are actually priorities 3 and 4. I'm mostly excited about the SD card of free Chinese music, and I love the look of the the ugly-yet-strangely-beautiful styling. The rest just sounds like an awesome bonus).

Dec 11, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #141 of 3,631
@vapman thanks for the walk through. 12.12 has me waiting.....

Dec 11, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #142 of 3,631
So I've been doing some research how to make the walnut v2 even better, by giving it a little upgrade in form of a bluetooth aptx receiver like this.

It should just be a matter of connecting the module to the battery, hooking up the buttons, and connecting the pcm output of the CSR8645 to the line in of the walnut, right?

Or should I rather get a module that already has a amp built in like this (CSR8645 with an amp) or the newer CSRA64215 (and with amp)?

As far as I understand the CSRA64215 is superior to the CSR8645 (as it uses BT 4.2, has APTX-LL and most importantely can work as an USB sound card, so I could hook up the usb port to it!), but alone doesn't have an audio output, as it only outputs I2S, so I would need a DAC like the PCM5102 as well, not sure if I can cram all that into the little case...

But using the CSRA64215 would offer so many more possibilities :D

Dec 11, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #143 of 3,631
  So I've been doing some research how to make the walnut v2 even better, by giving it a little upgrade in form of a bluetooth aptx receiver like this.

It should just be a matter of connecting the module to the battery, hooking up the buttons, and connecting the pcm output of the CSR8645 to the line in of the walnut, right?

Or should I rather get a module that already has a amp built in like this (CSR8645 with an amp) or the newer CSRA64215 (and with amp)?

As far as I understand the CSRA64215 is superior to the CSR8645 (as it uses BT 4.2, has APTX-LL and most importantely can work as an USB sound card, so I could hook up the usb port to it!), but alone doesn't have an audio output, as it only outputs I2S, so I would need a DAC like the PCM5102 as well, not sure if I can cram all that into the little case...

But using the CSRA64215 would offer so many more possibilities :D

If you do any of these mods successfully please let us know. I personally do not need the bluetooth functionality but can easily see how it would be useful! That said why not just read directly from the Walnut's DAC?

Thanks a ton vapman, pulled the trigger on the walnut too so I am expecting for it to arrive perhaps mid of next year.

Ordered,n ow just have to sit and wait.

Interested in using it as a DAP with a bit of power foremost as I'm thinking of getting the Zen 2, but also as an amp for same reason. I have the TY HP320 on order and I think they're supposed to be hard to drive, so hopefully they should come in a similar timeframe.

(Ok the above are actually priorities 3 and 4. I'm mostly excited about the SD card of free Chinese music, and I love the look of the the ugly-yet-strangely-beautiful styling. The rest just sounds like an awesome bonus).

Glad to have both of you here and sounds like there are a lot of people who were hyped up about the Chinese music! 
beerchug.gif
 (Which is really dang good, by the way.)

Just wanted to show that on one of my three Walnut microSD's, I have started keeping all albums converted from FLAC to a single WAV image. If you have a WAV+CUE file just copy the WAV over. Obvious downside is you can't pick what track from an album you want to hear, but I listen to full albums start to finish 95% of the time, and I was realizing all my skipping was just passing by full albums until the next one. So this works very well for me and I can get back to the start in just 15 clicks forward or back.

​
And here are my foobar settings for converting WAVs to one large file and removing all metadata, if it helps anybody.

​

Dec 11, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #145 of 3,631

Which "additional decoding" are you adding in the "Processing" setting?

Ah, I'm actually not doing anything. By default the "Enable decode postprocessing" is switched on. Doesn't make a difference unless you're trying to convert DTS/DSD/HDCD so unless you have 1-bit DSD files or SACD/HDCD to rip, it won't be any difference (I have  some SACD's but don't think my computer's drive can read the SACD side)

At some point I might decide to run my EQ into the Active DSPs for sharp/sibilant recordings. (unfortunately a lot of my favorite music is horribly produced)

Dec 11, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #146 of 3,631
(Ok the above are actually priorities 3 and 4. I'm mostly excited about the SD card of free Chinese music, and I love the look of the the ugly-yet-strangely-beautiful styling. The rest just sounds like an awesome bonus).[/quote]

Damn it ! The 1st thing I did was to erase all the Chinese music of the card now guys u make feel I was wrong w that ! :mad:

Dec 11, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #147 of 3,631

Damn it ! The 1st thing I did was to erase all the Chinese music of the card now guys u make feel I was wrong w that !
mad.gif
[/quote]

Man you didn't even back it up first? 
frown.gif
 It's okay, I still have mine...

Dec 11, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #149 of 3,631
Is the device 8 gigs of Chinese music

No but if you buy it from taobao with the memory card option, or from an Ali/ebay seller who includes the card, you will get it. There is no memory built into the player. you just get a microSD with some WAVs on it.

On the bottom row here, the selected option with 2 characters is the player by itself. the longer name option next to it is microSD+microSD USB reader.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back