Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Feb 12, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #2,011 of 3,631
  Just double checking: there is no way to fast forward through a track, correct? Since I am now putting albums into a single wav files for the walnut, that feature would be handy in order to fast forward through tracks in the file.

Totally impossible, attemping to do so will only raise your digital volume

My approach: take out the songs I dont like when converting full albums.

Feb 12, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #2,013 of 3,631
Totally impossible, attemping to do so will only raise your digital volume

My approach: take out the songs I dont like when converting full albums.

Thanks. That approach only works for people who aren't lazy lol

Feb 12, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #2,014 of 3,631
  I was more than happy with the stock opamp, but I replaced it the LME49860NA opamp. First 30 second listen and I was thinking "Whoa - this sounds so much better and different!". But, I'm going to listen for a while and report back... I want to be sure that I'm not suffering from new-opamp syndrome lol.

Edit: Actually, I'm hearing a bit of noise at zero volume (with Zen 1.0's) that I don't think I was hearing with the stock opamp. Any thoughts? For now, I'll just crank it up and listen to the music!

I thought the noise was gone with the 4986 opamp because I was enjoying Marillion so much, but alas, the noise is still there at zero volume. Doesn't seem to diminish how the music sounds when the volume is turned up though!

I was firstly listening with the KZ ED9 iems ($15), and the highs were very splashy and painful. Switched back to the most amazing Zen 1.0's and ahhhhh, awesomesauce all the way baby!

p.s. I still think the ED9's are amazing value for their price, but the highs can be somewhat splashy/strident if the synergy ain't there.

p.p.s. really looking forward to whatever whacky opamp Nick has sent my way!

Feb 13, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #2,015 of 3,631
^ it is a JRC4558D

You'll find the signature especially appealing if you are using buds I think. Do check in after though.

Feb 13, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #2,016 of 3,631
  Just double checking: there is no way to fast forward through a track, correct? Since I am now putting albums into a single wav files for the walnut, that feature would be handy in order to fast forward through tracks in the file.

Nop, no way, it's one of the shortcomings.

Is there a way to shuffle songs on an SD card without totally starting from scratch?

I'm actually amazed no ones bumped or given me a 'thumbs up' (lol) for the shuffle program I have provided earlier in this thread, it does exactly just that! I only say this because the Alien Shozy was in the same position (at this time, unbeknownst to the community that there indeed was a hidden shuffle feature) and when I gave them this program it was met with a fair bit of enthusiasm!

Once again, please go to this page, look for my post and the links and details are within. What you want this program EXACTLY does; http://www.head-fi.org/t/828315/walnut-hi-fi-v2-wav-mp3-player-by-wt-screenless-budget-killer-combo-dap-amp/1830

FWIW, I now go one step further. With the assistance of my program provided in the above link and foobar2000 I am now creating single wav files that contain 50 or so tracks that are randomly shuffled and CROSSFADING into one another (so no gaps between tracks).

Feb 13, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #2,018 of 3,631

I'm actually amazed no ones bumped or given me a 'thumbs up' (lol) for the shuffle program I have provided earlier in this thread, it does exactly just that! I only say this because the Alien Shozy was in the same position (at this time, unbeknownst to the community that there indeed was a hidden shuffle feature) and when I gave them this program it was met with a fair bit of enthusiasm!

Once again, please go to this page, look for my post and the links and details are within. What you want this program EXACTLY does; http://www.head-fi.org/t/828315/walnut-hi-fi-v2-wav-mp3-player-by-wt-screenless-budget-killer-combo-dap-amp/1830

FWIW, I now go one step further. With the assistance of my program provided in the above link and foobar2000 I am now creating single wav files that contain 50 or so tracks that are randomly shuffled and CROSSFADING into one another (so no gaps between tracks).

"With the assistance of my program provided in the above link and foobar2000 I am now creating single wav files that contain 50 or so tracks that are randomly shuffled and CROSSFADING into one another (so no gaps between tracks" - that sounds great! How can we do that?

Feb 13, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #2,019 of 3,631

I have no mac to test it, why don't you try it and let us know, can't you use Parallels (or whatever program it is that lets you use Windows on a mac), I mean even Win XP would be enough. I can talk with my friend and see if he can make a mac variant as well.

"With the assistance of my program provided in the above link and foobar2000 I am now creating single wav files that contain 50 or so tracks that are randomly shuffled and CROSSFADING into one another (so no gaps between tracks" - that sounds great! How can we do that?

I'm gonna let @vapman do the screenshots and take credit as he has already done/most screenshots that demonstrate part of the route, the last thing is to apply crossfade to the dsp processing when doing the conversion.

So basically;

1) transfer music files to a new folder on desktop
2) use said above program to shuffle
3) then import those newly shuffled files into foobar (drag n drop)
4) then use foobars conversion tool to convert to wav (and merge all files) and apply crossfading as an effect (NB slow conversion to apply dsp's is required).
5) voila done.

It's a shame that both the Shozy and Walnut don't have gapless, there might be a 'gapless' DSP that can be sought after and applied in foobars conversion tools just for those wanting non merged files but seamless transition.
Thing is, Walnut does auto-resume in that merged wav file, Shozy can't, it's a huge bonus for the Walnut when listening to music in this way.

Just keep the final .wav file to under 4gb for sd card compatability, around 50 tracks should be fine. I make 2-3 at a time so I have 01 Image.wav, 02 Image.wav and 03 Image.wav, each file containing 50 tracks randomised and crossfading.

Feb 13, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #2,021 of 3,631
Hi all :) Sorry my googletranslate english)
I just registered here, but for a long time I read this thread. I also have a Walnut and this DAP really great EDC player.
For those who want shuffle tracks (and not only) can be useful 'fatsort' program. It is a command line utility for Linux and Mac OS X. You can use it not only to sort the files but mix them (key -R).
The home http://fatsort.sourceforge.net/
The output of #fatsort -h
FATSort sorts directory structures of FAT file systems. Many MP3 hardware players don't sort files automatically but play them in the  order they were transferred to the device. FATSort can help here.
Usage: fatsort [OPTIONS] DEVICE
Options:
    -a     Use ASCIIbetical order for sorting
    -c     Ignore case of file names
    -f     Force sorting even if file system is mounted
    -h, --help
        Print some help
    -i     Print file system information only
    -I=PFX     Ignore file name PFX
    -l     Print current order of files only
    -o=FLAG     Sort order of files where FLAG is one of
            d : directories first (default)
            f : files first
            a : files and directories are not differentiated
    -n     Natural order sorting
    -q     Be quiet
    -r     Sort in reverse order
    -R     Sort in random order
    -t     Sort by last modification date and time
    -v, --version
        Print version information
    The following options can be specified multiple times:
    -d=DIR     Sort directory DIR only
    -D=DIR     Sort directory DIR and all subdirectories
    -x=DIR     Don't sort directory DIR
    -X=DIR     Don't sort directory DIR and its subdirectories
DEVICE must be a FAT12, FAT16 or FAT32 file system.
WARNING: THE FILESYSTEM MUST BE CONSISTENT, OTHERWISE YOU MAY DAMAGE IT!
IF SOMEONE ELSE HAS ACCESS TO THE DEVICE HE MIGHT EXPLOIT FATSORT WITH
A FORGED CORRUPT FILESYSTEM! USE THIS PROGRAM AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Examples:
    fatsort /dev/sda        Sort /dev/sda.
    fatsort -n /dev/sdb1        Sort /dev/sdb1 with natural order.
Report bugs to <fatsort@formenos.de>.

Feb 13, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #2,022 of 3,631

I cant download the file(shuffler) for some reason, can you provide any other link?

Feb 13, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #2,023 of 3,631
I just registered here, but for a long time I read this thread. I also have a Walnut and this DAP really great EDC player.
For those who want shuffle tracks (and not only) can be useful 'fatsort' program. It is a command line utility for Linux and Mac OS X. You can use it not only to sort the files but mix them (key -R).

Thanks! I use fatsort and didn't realize that it has a "random" option, so that may come in handy!

Feb 13, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #2,025 of 3,631
FATSort sorts directory structures of FAT file systems. Many MP3 hardware players don't sort files automatically but play them in the  order they were transferred to the device. FATSort can help here.
Usage: fatsort [OPTIONS] DEVICE
Options:
    -a     Use ASCIIbetical order for sorting
    -c     Ignore case of file names
    -f     Force sorting even if file system is mounted
    -h, --help
        Print some help
    -i     Print file system information only
    -I=PFX     Ignore file name PFX
    -l     Print current order of files only
    -o=FLAG     Sort order of files where FLAG is one of
            d : directories first (default)
            f : files first
            a : files and directories are not differentiated
    -n     Natural order sorting
    -q     Be quiet
    -r     Sort in reverse order
    -R     Sort in random order
    -t     Sort by last modification date and time
    -v, --version
        Print version information
    The following options can be specified multiple times:
    -d=DIR     Sort directory DIR only
    -D=DIR     Sort directory DIR and all subdirectories
    -x=DIR     Don't sort directory DIR
    -X=DIR     Don't sort directory DIR and its subdirectories
DEVICE must be a FAT12, FAT16 or FAT32 file system.
WARNING: THE FILESYSTEM MUST BE CONSISTENT, OTHERWISE YOU MAY DAMAGE IT!
IF SOMEONE ELSE HAS ACCESS TO THE DEVICE HE MIGHT EXPLOIT FATSORT WITH
A FORGED CORRUPT FILESYSTEM! USE THIS PROGRAM AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Examples:
    fatsort /dev/sda        Sort /dev/sda.
    fatsort -n /dev/sdb1        Sort /dev/sdb1 with natural order.
Report bugs to <fatsort@formenos.de>.

Great trick. Added to FAQ
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back