Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Feb 4, 2017 at 5:42 AM Post #1,831 of 3,631

Hmm... nop, will try that tomorrow! I didn't know about a digital volume, what other secrets does this thing have, I mean mine didn't come with a manual, is there anything a newb like me should be aware of before properly playing with it? I ain't even charged it yet... what's the go with charging, does a light light up when charging and toggle off once fully charged?

Anything that would or should have been in the manual is in posts #2 and #3 on page 1 of this thread 
biggrin.gif

But nah, there are no secret aside from the digital volume control. That is the only non obvious aspect of it, maybe aside from how to make it act like an amp.

And yes you should charge that thing, it ships almost dead. Leave it plugged in until the light goes from red to green

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #1,832 of 3,631
OPA2604 is nice in walnut, its flat and balanced, I prefer it over most LME's, but most AD's are better.

Ooooh, I just learned the black version Smart D200 has 2x opa2604 in there, so it can't be that boring right?

Feb 4, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #1,833 of 3,631
I went ahead and ordered another one from the alternate seller on Ali, just trying to make sure I can get one without waiting for extra months. The plus side is that I will have one I can do some rolling with. :)

Feb 4, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #1,834 of 3,631
  I went ahead and ordered another one from the alternate seller on Ali, just trying to make sure I can get one without waiting for extra months. The plus side is that I will have one I can do some rolling with. :)

I am doubtful that they have any stock despite the listing saying they do. At this point I that that all sources are at an equal position; waiting for the build.

Feb 4, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #1,835 of 3,631
  I am doubtful that they have any stock despite the listing saying they do. At this point I that that all sources are at an equal position; waiting for the build.

​Well, I paid for the ePacket delivery on the second one which is supposed to deliver faster. I guess we will see.

Feb 4, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #1,836 of 3,631

​Well, I paid for the ePacket delivery on the second one which is supposed to deliver faster. I guess we will see.

That should help. I'm still waiting for my December order.

Feb 4, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #1,838 of 3,631
Some sellers won't offer ePacket because of a misunderstanding on the shipping batteries rule. You CAN send things with internal non easily removable batteries ( like Walnut ) thru ePacket. you CAN NOT send things with removable alkaline batteries. Some sellers understand this and will send you an ePacket walnut. Some won't - CKLewis won't. My princess shop Walnut came ePacket but didn't ship until 10 days before Xmas when i ordered it beginning of November.

If a seller is asking $8 for ePacket you don't have to ask, they are making a profit! :)

For real though, Singapore Post is not that much slower, it just sucks because there's no good way to track it once it's gone into USA customs.

Feb 4, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #1,839 of 3,631
subbed! more killer if have shuffle mode.
biggrin.gif

No shuffle mode but possibly could be introduced in a future firmware update?

I'm just now getting round to reading this thread from page 1, and as I understand it a few of you would like Shuffle but still the Walnut doesn't support this feature.
Well, perhaps my workaround can suffice for many in need of a shuffling Walnut :D

I first talked about this little program (that my friend developed) in the 'A little about the Alien Shozy' thread (before we knew it had a secret shuffle mode of it's own!). What it does is take your files and randomises the filenames to including a 0001xxxx, 0002xxxx, 0003xxxx before each file that's added to it.
If you don't like the new shuffled order then simply shuffle ('Process') again.
You can even split the files into as many folders as you would like, so instead of having 100 shuffled tracks, you could have 10 folders of 10 tracks/files in each folder that are randomised (or 5 folders of 20 tracks and so on so forth).

Seeing as the Walnut cannot skip folders (but has autoresume), perhaps after this process is completed you once again use foobar or some other program to 'stitch' the files together to make a 'searching' feature slightly more viable, eg. Instead of having 100 tracks in a random order, you could divide the 100 tracks into 10 folders each folder containing 10 files and then stitch those 10 tracks together, therefore in the end you get 10 files that are containing 10 tracks per file, all randomised. The only issue with this approach is unlike the Shozy you cannot exactly find the track you want as single pressing Next on the Walnut will take you to the beginning of the next stitched 10 tracks, and there is no search function to skip through a song (minutes and second wise).

Here is the link for the program; http://ul.to/ftqc53zj (pw is shozy)

Then after that you will need the latest version of Java, just type in google 'java' and find the latest build and install it.

The program looks like this;

The subfolder was really created for the Shozy in mind because it had no autoresume. If yer listening to 100 tracks that are shuffled, and yer at track 34/100, and stop, then next time you turn on the Shozy, pressing skip 34 times is a PIA! But long pressing Next 2x (two folders of 15 tracks each) and then single pressing Next 4x get's you back to where you left off.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Bruce (and Harpo <<< developer).

Feb 4, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #1,840 of 3,631
Also, I'm charging my Walnut as I typed all of that, it was red to begin with, then the led changed to yellow about 1hr after being red, but now that I have left it yellow for maybe 30-40mins, it's looking rather more green now than yellow, is my eyes playing tricks on me?! Does the charge cycle go red>yellow>green>off? or am I mad?

Feb 4, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #1,841 of 3,631
  Also, I'm charging my Walnut as I typed all of that, it was red to begin with, then the led changed to yellow about 1hr after being red, but now that I have left it yellow for maybe 30-40mins, it's looking rather more green now than yellow, is my eyes playing tricks on me?! Does the charge cycle go red>yellow>green>off? or am I mad?

As far as I know i have only seen it go red or green... that said i have never charged and played at the same time?

Feb 4, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #1,843 of 3,631
Ooooh, I just learned the black version Smart D200 has 2x opa2604 in there, so it can't be that boring right?

I don't find it boring, but it isn't as exciting as most AD's for sure, so there isn't a big reason to use OPA2604 really, It is still a "lower end" opamp in the grand scheme, like the NE5532 it is used in a large number of professional audio products due to being cost effective as well as neutral in nature. MUSES8920 is definitely a better opamp than OPA2604 for example, still neutral but higher performance.

Feb 5, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #1,844 of 3,631

Mines isn't playing as well, just charging, just in my mind it went Red>Yellow, and then the next time I look it looks Green not Yellow, did I imagine Yellow?

It is possible. But i have not done a 2nd charge on my newest unit yet, so i will watch just for you 
wink.gif

..... I lost another microSD because of not paying enough attention to the very springy slot....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back