Wallwart causes buzzing?
Oct 12, 2005 at 4:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Sinbios

1000+ Head-Fier
My new elpac got in the door today, and when I plugged it into my Pimeta, there's a buzz coming out of it. Not too serious, but very annoying when the pot's turned more than halfway. Now, when I touch my finger to the DC jack, it goes instantly away. However, when I grounded the jack to ground in the amp itself, and then to real ground from my power strip, the buzz remains. How would I go about fixing this?

Oct 12, 2005 at 5:10 AM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by cetoole
DC jack is supposed to be isolated from the case.

As above, the ground of the power pack should have NOTHING to do with the amps signal ground, which is created by the TLE
smily_headphones1.gif

Rob.

Oct 13, 2005 at 2:51 AM Post #9 of 25
Do you know if the metal barrel you are touching is V-/V+, or neither? if it's neither, ground it to PG/IG and check if the buzzing is still there. btw, remove al your opamps and check the supply pins before turning it on with the opamps.

Oct 13, 2005 at 3:35 AM Post #11 of 25
(oh btw, i'm talking bout the jack's barrel....the hum goes away when you touch the jack's outer barrel, no?) not neccessarily, that's why I asked you to check it out
smily_headphones1.gif
my walwart has a +ve at outer barrel, and -ve middle pin. when connected to the jack, I measured the outer barrel of the jack to -ve, and there is no continuity. Although it is metal, it could be isolated
smily_headphones1.gif

it's the same thing as some pots, the housing may be metal, but it is not tied to the pot's ground. Since it is so close to the signal, it may cause some interference. Therefore grounding it may solve the problem.

Now take out your MM and double check it
biggrin.gif
if't it's neither, ground it to IG/IP and the hum should go away. But still, remove the opamps and take measurement on the power pins first....sh1t happens.
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2005 at 4:35 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin
(oh btw, i'm talking bout the jack's barrel....the hum goes away when you touch the jack's outer barrel, no?) not neccessarily, that's why I asked you to check it out
smily_headphones1.gif
my walwart has a +ve at outer barrel, and -ve middle pin. when connected to the jack, I measured the outer barrel of the jack to -ve, and there is no continuity. Although it is metal, it could be isolated
smily_headphones1.gif

it's the same thing as some pots, the housing may be metal, but it is not tied to the pot's ground. Since it is so close to the signal, it may cause some interference. Therefore grounding it may solve the problem.

Now take out your MM and double check it
biggrin.gif
if't it's neither, ground it to IG/IP and the hum should go away. But still, remove the opamps and take measurement on the power pins first....sh1t happens.
biggrin.gif

Oh, I just realized I didn't mention that the amp does work, there's just a noticeable buzz when I turn the volume high, so it's not oscillation. It disappears when I turn the pot about halfway down, but it's quite annoying when I need to get any kind of volume, and apparently easily dampable.

I know the barrel is V- because when I insert the + probe into the center and -probe on the barrel, the voltage reading is positive. Also, when I tried connecting the barrel to ground, the wire sparked a bit and tried to weld itself to the pot...

Oct 13, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinbios
Oh, I just realized I didn't mention that the amp does work, there's just a noticeable buzz when I turn the volume high, so it's not oscillation. It disappears when I turn the pot about halfway down, but it's quite annoying when I need to get any kind of volume, and apparently easily dampable.

I know the barrel is V- because when I insert the + probe into the center and -probe on the barrel, the voltage reading is positive. Also, when I tried connecting the barrel to ground, the wire sparked a bit and tried to weld itself to the pot...

jack.jpg

plug.jpg

Maybe I wasn't clear. Anyway, just to cofirm things:
1) Picture 2 is what you are getting, mid pin +ve, outer barrel -ve.
2) when you plug it into the jack. Assuming (2) is middle pin. Putting your -ve probe on (1) and +ve probe on (2) gives you a voltage reading? or nothing?

And to my understanding, when you touch on (1) with your hand the hum goes away, is that right?

if measuring (1) to (2) doesn't give you a reading, try doing what I said in post 11. And Hopefully, your pot's housing is grounded to PG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back