Walkman NWZ F886 officialy announced!! [192khz/24bits]
Aug 19, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #1,351 of 1,472
  Hi Guys,

I have had the F886 for just under a week, but seem to be having major battery issue, and hope that someone might offer some knowledge or guidance.

Let me start by saying that the F886 is paired with a PHA-2. I have not monitored the battery drain by using the unit alone. I only bought the F886 as a pair for the PHA-2, as I have had this kicking around for a few months without a suitable pairing.

I have downloaded nothing to the F886; flight mode is on; wifi, bluetooth, et al, are all off; every single sound enhancement is unchecked. The best I have to date is 3 hours 12 minutes with 70% Device idle, 16% Media player, 13% Media server and 1% Screen.

One the one hand, I do hope that this is due to the PHA-2, but at the same time would be slightly peeved that these two Sony units do not match. That's life I suppose.

I have read every single of the 90 pages and get the gist that some people get great battery life while others get something bordering on pitiful. Might be a bad unit or operator incompetence (which I have been know to be!).

Anyway, any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Could you try and install Wakelock Detector? It will show you information about all processes that keep your device awake, don't forget to check 'Advanced mode' and 'Statistics since unplug' under settings and look in 'CPU wakelock' view. After that share this information with us, probably it will give some clues on what is going on, so far I think probably one of google services draining battery

Aug 26, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #1,352 of 1,472
  Could you try and install Wakelock Detector? It will show you information about all processes that keep your device awake, don't forget to check 'Advanced mode' and 'Statistics since unplug' under settings and look in 'CPU wakelock' view. After that share this information with us, probably it will give some clues on what is going on, so far I think probably one of google services draining battery

Hey p13rr0t,

Apologies for not responding sooner, I have been away. A good idea, and something I will look in to, however, I think my problem is with the PHA-2 and not the F886. I have been trying the F886 on its own and getting 14+ hours each time, often with 35% battery left (with everything off including any sound enhancements). So, really quite brilliant actually. But when connected to the PHA-2 I am struggling to get anything more than 3.5 hours. I will check in the PHA-2 forum to see if this is normal.

Whilst I often like the convenience of such a thin, small device, and Android being so familiar and easy to use, I can't say that I am in love with the sound signature. It was so much better through the PHA-2, but really, I haven't gained any advantage over my Fiio X5 combined with any of my other amps. So, I might have to resign myself to the fact that this was a failed project and look for something else, assuming that I really need anything else anyway!

Thanks for all your suggestions guys, and hope you are all still enjoying your F886/7's.

Aug 27, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #1,353 of 1,472

Hey p13rr0t,

Apologies for not responding sooner, I have been away. A good idea, and something I will look in to, however, I think my problem is with the PHA-2 and not the F886. I have been trying the F886 on its own and getting 14+ hours each time, often with 35% battery left (with everything off including any sound enhancements). So, really quite brilliant actually. But when connected to the PHA-2 I am struggling to get anything more than 3.5 hours. I will check in the PHA-2 forum to see if this is normal.

Whilst I often like the convenience of such a thin, small device, and Android being so familiar and easy to use, I can't say that I am in love with the sound signature. It was so much better through the PHA-2, but really, I haven't gained any advantage over my Fiio X5 combined with any of my other amps. So, I might have to resign myself to the fact that this was a failed project and look for something else, assuming that I really need anything else anyway!

Thanks for all your suggestions guys, and hope you are all still enjoying your F886/7's.

Hey, If you are using digital output on your f886 - then probably, yes, problem is in PHA-2, however if you are using analog output, i.e. 3.5 mm jack then it should not affect your battery.

Definitely there is something wrong with wifi connection on 1.22 firmware or in my device, earlier everything was fine, but now device loose connection every couple of hours, phone works well with the same connection spot

Aug 27, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #1,354 of 1,472
To do the volume trick you need to make sure that you have XLoud and clear phase checked, then turn down your volume all the way, then go into settings, apps, swipe over to all and scroll down until you see "sound enhancements" hit disable and your GOLDEN

It disables any eq and other interference. But WOW I never ever thought the F887 had so much hidden power. If I turn it up 25% I'm blowing my ears out! The only downside of doing this that I can tell so far is the volume steps are much less subtle so with sensitive iems you might not find a perfect volume level

I have to go to work soon but if some of you guys and possibly girls can compare the setting disabled and enabled to see if there's a quality increase that would be great

I having trouble noticing any difference after this.  Is it because I bought my player from Japan and it maybe doesn't have a volume cap?  I have an option in the settings for AVLS (volume limit) - which I always uncheck.  Do you have this option or is it on Japan devices only?

I also have two options for Clear Phase and xLoud (built in speaker and WM-port speaker) do I tick all of these?  What about the Clearphase for the Headphones - do I tick that?

Sep 6, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #1,357 of 1,472
Also jvc fx850 if you have a bit more to spend but can't go wrong with either

Sep 6, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #1,358 of 1,472
Which items are people using. Currently I have the meelectronic a161p but they distort at high volume. Looking for an upgrade.

What kind of sound signature do you like?

Sep 7, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #1,359 of 1,472
If you like more neutral, analytical sound you might go for the dunus, jvc fx850 are more natural with some emphasis on lows but do sound great they are different but great in there own way, separation is better on dunus, being a hybrid, both have great staging, vocals sound better on 850, I like good sounding headphones and these both deliver on that. Dn1k being flatter overall, jvc being more colored but in a good way and have removable cables, which can also change sound Sig, to me 850s are better all around, warmer but are much more versatile, non fatigue sound, and give you what you put in, good sound sounds good, bad sound sounds bad. Dn1k can get just a bit harsh at high levels, but at normal to low level listening they sound fantastic. I like to enjoy music with the ability to analyze when I want. of course this is just one mans opinion

Nov 10, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #1,363 of 1,472
  Hey guys ... does it worth upgrading from F806 to F886 in terms of sound quality only ?

if you're not bothered by the hissing of the F806 with your headphones/IEMs, then I would suggest to keep it.

Nov 10, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #1,364 of 1,472
Thanks
if you're not bothered by the hissing of the F806 with your headphones/IEMs, then I would suggest to keep it.

Thanks for your reply .. No i don't bother by that ..i am asking because i loved the sound quality too much of f806 and i am planning to get an amp for it too ... And saw that new player with high resolution and all that and thinking if it has a noticeable difference in sound so i get that before getting an amp ..
I have other question but it is about my player f806 .. Is there a method to get a digital out from it even with rooting or so ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back