Walkman NWZ F886 officialy announced!! [192khz/24bits]
Mar 17, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #1,081 of 1,472
How come the dock sticks out so much on Sony DAP's? I was going to purchase this or the ZX1 but the length of the dock connector is unacceptable for me. I have to actually put it in my pocket and walk around with it. It's not sitting on a table.

Are there any third party ultra-low -profile digital (or analog) LOD cables for Sony players?

Mar 17, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #1,082 of 1,472
So I just received a 20% Sony discount voucher from Vect. But I don't think I'll be able to use it. After talking to Vect, I think a fellow head-fier could make better use of it. Send me a PM.

P.S. You must be a student to avail this offer.

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #1,083 of 1,472
  Here are some photos of my portable rig, because I have never feel so good and so proud of having such audio quality at the palm of my hand:

You made me really jealous, congrats on your beautiful setup!
One thing I was wondering though - don't you find it uncomfortable to use the LOD interconnect because of it sticking out so much thus making it easy to accidentally damage the LOD connector on your walkman? Coz that's exactly what happened to me - I was using Walkman + FiiO L5 + FiiO E5 and over the time I noticed that the Walkman connector got really loose, as a result of the cable constantly applying pressure to it (by moving in a up and down direction when placed like in your picture). Now after two years of that setup, I'm left without my beloved walkman, because the usb cable doesn't reach the pins inside at all. Really hate this long and thin connector, I'm surprised Sony is still using it. A more square shaped or solid connector is what's missing for me.

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #1,084 of 1,472
  You made me really jealous, congrats on your beautiful setup!
One thing I was wondering though - don't you find it uncomfortable to use the LOD interconnect because of it sticking out so much thus making it easy to accidentally damage the LOD connector on your walkman? Coz that's exactly what happened to me - I was using Walkman + FiiO L5 + FiiO E5 and over the time I noticed that the Walkman connector got really loose, as a result of the cable constantly applying pressure to it (by moving in a up and down direction when placed like in your picture). Now after two years of that setup, I'm left without my beloved walkman, because the usb cable doesn't reach the pins inside at all. Really hate this long and thin connector, I'm surprised Sony is still using it. A more square shaped or solid connector is what's missing for me.

That's a really valid concern, and as a result I had to do this:

So I can carry it without worrying it about the LOD cable, honestly speaking the combo is not big, but I prefer it to have this way, because the bag also serves other purposes.

Mar 20, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #1,085 of 1,472
  So I can carry it without worrying it about the LOD cable, honestly speaking the combo is not big, but I prefer it to have this way, because the bag also serves other purposes.

That's a good solution, thanks for sharing the tip. And yeah, compared to other crazy people here, your setup is quite compact.

Mar 25, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #1,087 of 1,472
Is this walkman the only DAP specific android? I ask because I've been searching for a DAP that will run Spotify and have really good on-board sound. I would get a nicer phone but contract doesn't allow me atm.

Are there any other DAP similar to the Walkman that runs Android or is this it?

Mar 25, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #1,088 of 1,472
  Is this walkman the only DAP specific android? I ask because I've been searching for a DAP that will run Spotify and have really good on-board sound. I would get a nicer phone but contract doesn't allow me atm. Are there any other DAP similar to the Walkman that runs Android or is this it?

Do you also need high-resolution format support? If so, then yes, this is the only model, along with its bigger (and more expensive) brother the ZX1.

If you don't, then there are plenty of other Android DAPs, including older Sony Walkmen, Cowon players, and probably some other DAPs I'm forgetting.

Mar 25, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #1,089 of 1,472
It doesn't need to play hi-res but 24 bit would be nice for the noise floor. My main requirement is an Android platform that can access Google Play, can be wi-fi only for internet connection, and decent onboard dac and amp with enough juice to power efficient full-sized headphones.

I know the Galaxy S1 seemed to have good on-board with some saying it's better than the S2 and S3. What other options are there? More interested in music player specific Android devices but any suggestion is appreciated.

Mar 25, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #1,090 of 1,472
Please read last post, quoting on a mobile phone is not that great.
Do you also need high-resolution format support? If so, then yes, this is the only model, along with its bigger (and more expensive) brother the ZX1.

If you don't, then there are plenty of other Android DAPs, including older Sony Walkmen, Cowon players, and probably some other DAPs I'm forgetting.

Mar 29, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #1,091 of 1,472
HI

I want to buy the F887 : 64 gb version.

my problem is :  the japan version has only  the two  languages for android firmware : English and Japan 

I am french , I am looking for if there is an international version of the F887 with the possibility to have the French language of the 4.1 Android firmware..

Some people have the F887 player with other languages than English and Japanese   ?

thanks for any answers,

Mar 29, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #1,092 of 1,472
Hate to ask, as it probably was asked (tried searching), but will this be available in the US?  Saw it listed on amazon.co.uk, but on the US side it's "Unavailable."

Mar 30, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #1,093 of 1,472
Where did you see 'unavailable'?

It's sad to see till this date, Sony hasnt updated their mp3 player availability on their website in the US. I was at the mall (Menlo Park, NJ) yesterday where there used to be a store called 'Sony'. Now its empty and there's a notice that says something like this 'this location is closed, please continue your shopping experience at Sony.com'. My guess is that they havent been doing well there and with that I'm really doubting Sony's future in the US.
Quote:
  Hate to ask, as it probably was asked (tried searching), but will this be available in the US?  Saw it listed on amazon.co.uk, but on the US side it's "Unavailable."

Mar 30, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #1,094 of 1,472
Mar 30, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #1,095 of 1,472
  http://www.amazon.com/Sony-NWZF886B-CEW-NWZ-F-886-B/dp/B00F0CQJOY Right here, says "unavailable."  And if there's been talk about them going bankrupt, their products started going massively downhill in quality while the prices stayed the same. (http://www.macroaxis.com/invest/ratio/SNE--Probability-Of-Bankruptcy)

Nice find, Dude! So maybe there will be a US release after all.

I agree with the quality part after owing the X walkman. The granite used along its body showed Sony could provide a solid player with build. The Z & F didnt stand against it.

Hopefully they are working on DSD implementation before release. I find that critical because many players are offering it and whether DSD is a success does not matter. Always a good thing to be up to date with competitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back