Walkman NWZ F886 officialy announced!! [192khz/24bits]
Feb 9, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #961 of 1,472
Sure I'll do it later tonight if I get a chance or certainly tomorrow. I have a UK sourced f886 which will probably have the EU volume cap on it, not sure if the same is applied to mobile phones or not but I guess it is?

I have a selection of tracks the same on each and I'll switch sources / same songs playing having enlisted somebody to help and not to tell me which. I can also test the stock app on the f886 compared to the nexus using poweramp as well

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #962 of 1,472
That would be great.

To try and be fair as possible please try and take all 'replay gain/volume normalizers' off if either have that feature. Also I live in Australia and am aware of that EU volume limit thing, all the DAPs I have owned allow for an initial 'country selector' thing and I always select anywhere other than Europe lol. I don't know how it works with the F886 and Nexus 5, but for the sake of this little experiment it's prolly pretty crucial to look into the N5 and F886 in this regard as you pointed out. If your devices have that going on in both or just one then that will screw the volume test up. I'm just not sure with those two devices how you can tell if its applied or not and how to definitely make sure its off (even just temporarily so). :S

Feb 9, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #964 of 1,472
Wow, that's a good one!

Feb 9, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #965 of 1,472
I've seen the manual using the crappy 1995 delphi style software provided in the dap.
it goes wonderfully with windowz98 skin on my computer . amazing how a leader in technology can make stuff like that... oh well they did make sonic-stage so I should have known better than to ask sony about computer software ^_^.

Feb 9, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #966 of 1,472
i can attest that Nexus 5 volume isn't powerful.  i mean, when i want full listening immersion i have to listen at least 2 notches below the highest volume to enjoy.  same with its speakers.   this low volume is widely known to exist on all Nexus 5, so it may be an issue or not.  its another reason why i am looking for Sony Walkman alternative.

Feb 10, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #967 of 1,472

I've had the volume drop & a message to check it, a number of times. Just trying to follow what you have to do, to cancel the volume cap ?? ( Thanks for info )

If I've understood correctly, you take the alarm slider volume to zero. ( which I've done...it actually dropped the sound completely....then I've increased master volume to max. ( which is what I always have it at. ) Not sure if it's altered anything ?? ( Or I assume I have to wait for the warning to come on again, before I can proceed with instructions ? )

Feb 10, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #968 of 1,472
not done the testing yet,

but in respect of the volume cap I am not entirely convinced it can be removed or side-stepped - i was led to believe that it was "fixed" and non-by-passable

I was given the option of selecting geographical area but instantly opted for UK - not aware if selecting anywhere else steps the volume cap at all?

I'll have a look at the method above when I get home from work and see if this has any bearing on volume and potential to increase etc

Feb 10, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #969 of 1,472
not done the testing yet,

but in respect of the volume cap I am not entirely convinced it can be removed or side-stepped - i was led to believe that it was "fixed" and non-by-passable

I was given the option of selecting geographical area but instantly opted for UK - not aware if selecting anywhere else steps the volume cap at all?

I'll have a look at the method above when I get home from work and see if this has any bearing on volume and potential to increase etc

you won't get round the volume-cap, many have tried.

by all accounts the volume-cap doesn't appear to affect the new Walkman's like it did on the A865 which was pretty dire.

If you're going to change your location set it to USA or Asia, I would do a factory reset first if it is set to UK/Euro country..

Feb 10, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #970 of 1,472
thanks for clarifying, i thought the volume cap was fixed. In all honesty its no issue for me at all & I certainly don't require an amp

will changing the location bring any benefits at all?

cheers

Feb 10, 2014 at 9:25 AM Post #972 of 1,472
With an uncapped device, you'll have ample volume with IEMs, except for maybe ones with 4+ BA drivers. The f880 should have at least 75% more power (volume) compared to the Nexus.

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #973 of 1,472
I followed the instructions regards the volume cap & I don't know whether it's my imagination, but George Michael / Faith, that was previously so low at full volume, now sounds louder to me. As I said, this could be my imagination.....most likely !
I'm seriously thinking of buying the Sony UDA-1 DAC & playing my F886 through that, and have the option of adding speakers at a later date. ( or when they are available ) so I can have the benefit of another home music system, and the portability / flexibility the UDA-1 offers. 

Feb 11, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #974 of 1,472
  With an uncapped device, you'll have ample volume with IEMs, except for maybe ones with 4+ BA drivers. The f880 should have at least 75% more power (volume) compared to the Nexus.

i just upped the preamp in poweramp.  i also saw

http://www.bbesonicmax.com/

available on cowon, its available for android too, could  be worth trying

Feb 11, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #975 of 1,472

i just upped the preamp in poweramp.  i also saw

http://www.bbesonicmax.com/

available on cowon, its available for android too, could  be worth trying

Tried all sorts of software tweaks. The one's I find that considerably improve the SQ or loudness are ACID Engine and Viper Audio. Acid requires root and a recovery, which I don't see being ported anywhere in the near future. Viper, however, requires only root. It has a convolver feature that's quite amazing. Still, hardware>software (IMO). If the Walkman provides more raw power, you can take it a level even further with these tweaks you mentioned. So whatever you do, I think the Walkman will always perform better than the Nexus, in SQ, as a standalone device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back