Walkman NWZ F886 officialy announced!! [192khz/24bits]
Nov 11, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #316 of 1,472
  guys when you do get it let us know how it sounds pls

I really like the sound of this player because it sounds good with all the formats it supports.

-mp3 sound good and the DSEE HX mode makes it a very enjoyable listening experience

-redbook 16 bit 44.1 flac/wav playback is  flawless and this is when you appreciate a good pair of cans. Sony has a suite of tweaking tools clear audio+, clear bass, equaliser, clear phase to tailor the sound to individual preference which works rather well

- 24 bit/88.1/96/198 flac is where the magic happens,  all audio enhancement were switched off, sounded crystal,  I tried  the F-887 with the HD650,HD 700 and the HD 800 and with each the difference quite apparent , the possibilities of extracting every little detail is immense with a good amp/headphone combination. the ue900 worked pretty well with it , I would say its quite versatile as a source, and as a complete package.

I wasn't asking you to root it. The app works without root too. Just wanted to see what options the recovery had.

Tried the  ROM Toolbox to get it to boot in recovery mode but the app  reported an  error, did not investigate further.

Nov 11, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #317 of 1,472
I really like the sound of this player because it sounds good with all the formats it supports.

-mp3 sound good and the DSEE HX mode makes it a very enjoyable listening experience

-redbook 16 bit 44.1 flac/wav playback is  flawless and this is when you appreciate a good pair of cans. Sony has a suite of tweaking tools clear audio+, clear bass, equaliser, clear phase to tailor the sound to individual preference which works rather well

- 24 bit/88.1/96/198 flac is where the magic happens,  all audio enhancement were switched off, sounded crystal,  I tried  the F-887 with the HD650,HD 700 and the HD 800 and with each the difference quite apparent , the possibilities of extracting every little detail is immense with a good amp/headphone combination. the ue900 worked pretty well with it , I would say its quite versatile as a source, and as a complete package.

Tried the  ROM Toolbox to get it to boot in recovery mode but the app  reported an  error, did not investigate further.
In
Sounds good have you ever listed to the z series is it a similar sound or is it me bass light.

Nov 12, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #321 of 1,472
This is about the 886, right? Not the 887.

Nov 12, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #324 of 1,472
  MPZ, what do you think about the power output?

Power output is good but depends on what it is driving.I tried the F-887 with a variety of headphones and it is best suited for efficient iem and headphones, the new range of sony hi-res headphones worked quite well (MDR1, MDR10NC) , It could drive the HD800 and K701 but only at full volume there was sufficient output. 

Nov 12, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #326 of 1,472
  Well, kind of....but I may buy the 886, because i'm keen to hear what these sound like. ( Just wish it wasn't 6 weeks before Christmas, when there's other expenditure !! )

Well, I read a few Japanese reviews (translations) in which people said that it was kind of a combo of the old F and Z series with a more refined sound signature of the old F and a bit more bass slam. I'm just waiting for the 64 gig model's prices to drop down a bit.

Nov 12, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #327 of 1,472

Well, I read a few Japanese reviews (translations) in which people said that it was kind of a combo of the old F and Z series with a more refined sound signature of the old F and a bit more bass slam. I'm just waiting for the 64 gig model's prices to drop down a bit.

Yes, I've read the translations, a little difficult to understand, but you get the gist of things ! I've only ever had Mini Disc / Hi MD players. ( Which I still frequently use. ) So this is a slightly new venture for me.

Nov 12, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #328 of 1,472
  Yes, I've read the translations, a little difficult to understand, but you get the gist of things ! I've only ever had Mini Disc / Hi MD players. ( Which I still frequently use. ) So this is a slightly new venture for me.

Then you will be in for a treat, as I myself used to frequent Minidiscussion forums.

Nov 12, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #330 of 1,472
  Well if these new players are as good as, or even better than Hi MD, i'll be well pleased !!

Should be, and unless you use PCM all the time, sound wise the F should beat out MDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back