Walkman NWZ F886 officialy announced!! [192khz/24bits]
Oct 20, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #271 of 1,472
  http://www.qobuz.com/info/Hi-Fi/Bancs-d-essai/Test-baladeur-Sony-F886-compatible174180
A review for F886 in french.
This the most relevant part about the sound quality :
"
Globalement, le F886 délivre un son clair, précis, plutôt fouillé dans ses détails, mais dont la personnalité est de placer l’aigu un brin en exergue, avec quelques cafouillages lorsque le message devient compliqué. En clair, sans décodeur, le son flatte les tympans, mais certaines hautes fréquences s’interpellent selon les morceaux (ça « accroche »). Rien de fâcheux en soi pour la plupart des oreilles, d’autant que la séparation Stéréo est belle (la guitare, la basse, les synthés de 
Billie Jean
 en 24/176,4 kHz sont probants, idem pour la sensation de spatialisation sur la plupart des morceaux de Estro Armonico / Libre secundo).
"
The sound quality it seems to be ok with tendency to the bright side
and with difficulties on the complicated parts of the songs.

Sound like the Euro volume cap & less than stellar sound problems are still very much alive and well.

Oct 20, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #272 of 1,472
Interesting. Dubious machine translation aside, the Japanese reviewer seemed to be surprised by the improvement over his 800 series Walkman while the French reviewer thinks its just okay

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #273 of 1,472
First post here. Hi!

Currently using the Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S as smartphone as my dedicated music player. Its decent but wish it could get a little louder and wish at it's loudest it didn't distort. Am I right in thinking that I won't get that with this Walkman?

I use Poweramp as my default music player because it has a tonne of brilliant features like crossfading, a fantastic equaliser and allows me to play FLAC + WAV files but I'm guessing that they're all downsampled? Seems like 192kHz audio would need to be supported by a hardware chip as well as software decoding.

If it matters I listen to a lot of drum n bass, dubstep and other bass heavy music. Headphones are Sony XB500's. (Fantastic headphones for the price BTW)

Oct 21, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #275 of 1,472
First post here. Hi!

Currently using the Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S as smartphone as my dedicated music player. Its decent but wish it could get a little louder and wish at it's loudest it didn't distort. Am I right in thinking that I won't get that with this Walkman?

I use Poweramp as my default music player because it has a tonne of brilliant features like crossfading, a fantastic equaliser and allows me to play FLAC + WAV files but I'm guessing that they're all downsampled? Seems like 192kHz audio would need to be supported by a hardware chip as well as software decoding.

If it matters I listen to a lot of drum n bass, dubstep and other bass heavy music. Headphones are Sony XB500's. (Fantastic headphones for the price BTW)

You will probably get that with this Walkman. It can drive IEMs pretty well as per my experiences with the Walkman Z.
Plus, you'll feel almost no distortion, even at high volumes coming from the Arc S.

Oct 21, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #276 of 1,472
So considering this Walkman to replace an iPad, Zune and Nexus 4 as my default PMP. Will be using it with IEM (haven't decided yet between the MDR7550 or the new XBAH1 or 3) and a pair of ATH-ANC23s. I listen to jazz, folk, classical and alternative music.

My question is, how much of a benefit would I see from this Walkman compared to my current setup?

Oct 21, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #277 of 1,472
You will probably get that with this Walkman. It can drive IEMs pretty well as per my experiences with the Walkman Z.

Sorry can you clarify that again? There will be distortion or won't be? The wording has me confused. :p

So considering this Walkman to replace an iPad, Zune and Nexus 4 as my default PMP.

I also have a Nexus 4 which I don't use as a music player because whatever hardware/software configuration Google put in this thing is terrible. There's no bass, no volume. Even the mids lack in comparison to my Xperia Arc S.

Oct 21, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #278 of 1,472
Sorry can you clarify that again? There will be distortion or won't be? The wording has me confused. :p

Haha.
I meant there won't be any distortion even at the max volume, which is way above what the Xperia can achieve. But if you wan't the bass, you better try out the Walkman Z. It's warmer (bassy) sounding than the current F series and most prolly the upcoming one.

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #279 of 1,472
Well the F887 is now available on pricejapan.  I'm waiting for the ZX1 so I'll pass on this.  Anyone else want to give it a try?

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #280 of 1,472
  Well the F887 is now available on pricejapan.  I'm waiting for the ZX1 so I'll pass on this.  Anyone else want to give it a try?

It's also up on Amazon.jp.
Also, here are some reviews (in Japanese). Hopefully someone would be able to decode them for us.

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #281 of 1,472
Haha.

I meant there won't be any distortion even at the max volume, which is way above what the Xperia can achieve. But if you wan't the bass, you better try out the Walkman Z. It's warmer (bassy) sounding than the current F series and most prolly the upcoming one.

Ah okay thank you. The thing is as much as I'm an audiophile I can't really afford the Walkman Z even though it leaves me salivating. I'll probably go for the F886. I mean I could always use Poweramp's great equalisation software to get the kind of sound I want. Also what's this I'm hearing about an audio cap? I really don't want that as I listen to music fairly loud :/. Considering its using an Arm Cortex CPU hopefully root access will come and I could remove that cap if I really want to?

Oct 21, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #282 of 1,472
Ah okay thank you. The thing is as much as I'm an audiophile I can't really afford the Walkman Z even though it leaves me salivating. I'll probably go for the F886. I mean I could always use Poweramp's great equalisation software to get the kind of sound I want. Also what's this I'm hearing about an audio cap? I really don't want that as I listen to music fairly loud :/. Considering its using an Arm Cortex CPU hopefully root access will come and I could remove that cap if I really want to?

LOL. Not talking about the mighty ZX1, google up the Walkman Z. It's an older, large-screen android Walkman. The sound signature might be what you're looking for.
The audio cap, however, is hardware implemented (AFAIK). Root access won't be able to circumvent it. So I advise you to import it from Japan or the States.

Oct 21, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #283 of 1,472
  LOL. Not talking about the mighty ZX1, google up the Walkman Z. It's an older, large-screen android Walkman. The sound signature might be what you're looking for.
The audio cap, however, is hardware implemented (AFAIK). Root access won't be able to circumvent it. So I advise you to import it from Japan or the States.

Argh dangit. Haha. Well thankfully getting my device imported isn't an issue as I have a fiancée in the US (Im British). I've been browsing through different threads on here and I've found that a lot of people agree with what you're saying for that 'warmer' sound. The two things I like about F886 is the attractive price point on Amazon and the fact that it's new and shiny with current specs. I really wanna flex these headphones though you know? I know for certain none of my outputs make use of those really low end frequencies which is what I want ideally. I want the new and shiny (and frankly sexier) F886 too with the nicely position hardware buttons. Grrr. Tough call.

Oct 21, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #284 of 1,472
  Argh dangit. Haha. Well thankfully getting my device imported isn't an issue as I have a fiancée in the US (Im British). I've been browsing through different threads on here and I've found that a lot of people agree with what you're saying for that 'warmer' sound. The two things I like about F886 is the attractive price point on Amazon and the fact that it's new and shiny with current specs. I really wanna flex these headphones though you know? I know for certain none of my outputs make use of those really low end frequencies which is what I want ideally. I want the new and shiny (and frankly sexier) F886 too with the nicely position hardware buttons. Grrr. Tough call.

Yes. The F886 is the boy on the block, but it doesn't have any better specs compared to the Z (other than the HX chip).
I myself am going to jump on this new sleek guy but like you said, you wanted the bass. That, the old F at least, can't deliver. The 2 were technically equal, but just that the F was more analytical rather than fun. Also, the F's bass for comparatively faster and less liquidy, which I prefer as I listen to metal. Although, you listen to dubstep, so the Z'd better suit your needs.

I had the Z, and now I wanna try the F880, hoping it'll possess the same sound signature as the old F or at least a tad on the brighter side.

I'd suggest, you wait for the F880 and then give a listen to both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back