Walking with Ety 4S
Jul 17, 2003 at 2:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

daw

New Head-Fier
I recently acquired the Etymotics 4S headphones, and I love them. They are fantastic for travelling!

However, yesterday I went on a walk while listening to them, and I heard a "thud" every time I took a step. I don't know if this was some weird effect where sound conducted through bone, or something, but I could hear my foot as it landed on the pavement. As you can imagine, it was a little distracting to hear a constant stream of "thuds" as I walked while trying to listen to my music.

Does anyone have any advice on how to avoid the "thuds" while walking with Ety's? And, do you know what causes this?

I'm currently using those white rubber tips.
Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Jul 17, 2003 at 2:45 AM Post #2 of 30
I have the ER6 and have the same problem. I'm used to it. There are only two real ways to avoid it (that I've come across)

1. When you walk, step on the outer-front of your foot, then transfer your weight to the heel
-This is uncomfortable

2. Carry spare headphones. I always brought SportaPros and used the ER6 only when I wanted isolation (or had to hide the bigger headphones from the teacher
wink.gif
)

Jul 17, 2003 at 9:48 AM Post #3 of 30
You will get used to it -- like myself: I barely notice it anymore, although it's very well audible once I focus on it. Like the ticking of a clock which you automatically ignore after a certain time. One trick: shoes with relatively thick and soft soles.

peacesign.gif

Jul 21, 2003 at 6:36 AM Post #6 of 30
My experience with my 4P's is that clipping the cord, or even running through your shirt (if you don't think it's uncomfortable) works very well to eliminate the microphonic cord problem. Though I also tend to hear other weird things much more clearly, such as my heartbeat, gurgles in my stomach, and yes, my footsteps while walking. As was mentioned you'll probably get used to it, I did anyway. The sound and isolation are a good tradeoff for the quirks of Ety's any day.
280smile.gif

Jul 21, 2003 at 2:12 PM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by uoods
The sound and isolation are a good tradeoff for the quirks of Ety's any day.
280smile.gif

I agree totally. I also use the shirt clip and run the etys underneath my shirt and find this to work quite well. Those thuds you hear are inherent with ALL canalphones. As are heartbeat, breathing, and other internal sounds.

Jul 21, 2003 at 3:45 PM Post #8 of 30
OriginalReaper I like your solution #2.

I wonder if use a different pair of phones could work for a lot of problems in this forum.
wink.gif

Jul 21, 2003 at 8:00 PM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Hiker
Those thuds you hear are inherent with ALL canalphones. As are heartbeat, breathing, and other internal sounds.

I am afraid I do not agree with what you said...those sounds are NOT inherent with other canalphones to the extent that it's noticeable. This is more like ETY only problem and you should avoid making a wild guess on the phones you've haven't tried and present it as a fact.

Jul 23, 2003 at 9:42 AM Post #13 of 30
Even normal closed cans show some of this behavior. It's definitely not reserved to Etys.

peacesign.gif

Jul 23, 2003 at 12:58 PM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by MadDog
I am afraid I do not agree with what you said...those sounds are NOT inherent with other canalphones to the extent that it's noticeable. This is more like ETY only problem and you should avoid making a wild guess on the phones you've haven't tried and present it as a fact.

I don't know what makes you assume that I haven't tried other canalphones. It is true I only own the ER-4P, but I have a friend who has the Shure E2c. I have auditioned them for several days in nearly the same environments that I use my etys just so that I could loosely compare the two. The "thuds" were clearly there as much as they were with my etys. The isolation that I achieved was on par with my etys so that would explain the "thud" type sounds. It isn't necessarily the canalphone concept that causes these sounds to be noticable, but the extreme isolation created by these cans. If you are refering to microphonics, well that is a COMPLETELY different issue.

Jul 23, 2003 at 8:37 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by Hiker
Those thuds you hear are inherent with ALL canalphones. As are heartbeat, breathing, and other internal sounds.

That's not what you've exactly said. I can understand a very slightly 'thud' when jump up and down but heartbeat and breathing sounds on E5? Come on...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back