Wal-Mart...
Nov 16, 2004 at 2:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

archosman

Songs From The Crystal Cave
http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/...0.asp?GT1=5809

I have to admit I was amused by the recent South Park episode on their version of Wall-Mart. However after reading this article I'm actually starting to worry a bit. I'm all for free enterprise but frankly I'm getting concerned with all of the avenues they're spreading into...
confused.gif

Nov 16, 2004 at 3:27 AM Post #3 of 60
archosman I'm all for free enterprise but frankly I'm getting concerned with all of the avenues they're spreading into...[img said:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/images/smilies/http://hfimage.head-fi.org/smilies/confused.gif[/img]

I'm wondering what our Todd will do when Wall-Mart will sell the SR-71 at the special price of 199$ with two dozens free batteries
eek.gif

Amicalement

P.S. I never went there and never will....

Nov 16, 2004 at 4:34 AM Post #6 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
LOL, it annoys me to no end how the general populance complains so much about Wal*Mart, yet people keep on shopping there.
rolleyes.gif

Yep, you tell them everything wrong with the damn place, but they just basically qoute KR (minus the sarcasm) and procees to spend the rest of their savings there. Typical stupid USicans for ya.

Nov 16, 2004 at 4:37 AM Post #7 of 60
What's next I wonder, maybe we might start to see them sell cars too. They've just opened up another Wal-Mart and Sam's Club here. With a little over a month in business, Sam's Club was already laying off about 90 employees saying that they over hired and underestimated sales revenue. Sam's Club and Wal Mart are non unionized and those 90 former employees who will be getting their walking papers won't receive a severance package as Sam's Club don't have one. It's really sad and upsetting that this is happening especially so close to the holidays. Wal-Mart says that they will try and find other positions in the other stores to take those that are being layed off.

Nov 16, 2004 at 12:37 PM Post #8 of 60
I wish our WalMart sold groceries.
They sell some stuff, but nothing like the super Walmarts in other towns. Where I live groceries are over priced. It's actually cost effective to drive 100 miles if one is buying a large quantity at a time.
I don't buy electronics at WalMart becuase I don't trust the quality.
I don't buy CDs at WalMart because I don't want edited CDs.
I will buy some clothing at WalMart but only things like underwear or cheap workwear.
Our local WalMart's toy selection is getting to suck. They don't carry what I want anymore.

All this reminds me that I need to go to WalMart and get some oil and a filter for my car.
tongue.gif

Nov 16, 2004 at 3:19 PM Post #9 of 60
Nov 16, 2004 at 4:03 PM Post #12 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.PD
I don't buy CDs at WalMart because I don't want edited CDs.

Hi Mr.PD,

Being on the subject of the powerfull business against the little ones here it is my personnal response to these giants vs little owners unfair battles.

Where I live we have this super CDs retailler with prices/choices that are very hard to beat. I have long ago completely avoid this by simply told to the owner of a little CDs shop that I will become a client willing to buy exclusively from him at one condition: if he can, more or less, match the price of the «Big one» I will compensate him for his loss of profit by buying a very high and regular number of CDs on an annual basis.

So far so good....
biggrin.gif

Amicalement

Nov 16, 2004 at 5:25 PM Post #13 of 60
I guess I'm just the obsessive/compulsive type (gee, you think?
biggrin.gif
), but I like specialized stores. When I go shopping, I'm on a mission. I want specific things. Even if I'm window shopping, I want to look at one particular thing. I hate being so distracted in a mega store that has tons of crap I'm not interested in. For some people having a so-called one stop shopping place is a time saver.

But for me, it just adds unnecessary stress.

I hate lugging endless shopping bags back and forth from the car.

I guess I like to spread my shopping out more.

-Ed

Nov 16, 2004 at 6:02 PM Post #14 of 60
After working in their electronics department for a year I refuse to shop there. They treat their employees like crap (I was a high school student and they scheduled me while I was in school and refused to change it). They also have some dirty selling practices, like repackaging opened computer games, repackaging open damaged electronics and selling them as new. Whenever I'm forced to go in their with friends the place gives me the creeps. The funniest part was when I went into quit the assistant manager of the half of the store I worked in said "I've been working here since high school and look where I am now".

Nov 16, 2004 at 6:37 PM Post #15 of 60
yeah, i hate big box stores, most of the stuff i buy is so esoteric (love and rockets comic books, headfi stuff, old records, good books) that specialty stores are the only place for me.

I HATE BARNES AND NOBLE! they have the WORST selection of books ever.

Powells in oregon for life...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back