Waiting For the Diesels
Mar 21, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll never buy a diesel. the fuel stinks and the exhaust fumes are worse. Ever get caught in heavy traffic behind a bus or diesel pickup? It'll make you sick to your stomach in no time
blink.gif

as others have mentioned, new diesel engines are much better in terms of that typical diesel noise, and the amount of crap they spew out

there is also a filter that can be placed on the exhaust to catch any of the smoke that would overwise be spewed out

and its hard to compare the amount of smoke and smell from an engine large enough for a truck, compared to a typical 4 or 6 cyclinder diesel engine in an everyday sedan

paired with a technology like this http://torvec.com/products_ivt.html diesel could prove to be a great step in effiecency before a better technology is made available

Mar 21, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #17 of 40
There are already too many of the noisy, stinking things now. Hate 'em!

Laz

Mar 21, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are already too many of the noisy, stinking things now. Hate 'em!

Laz

again, its hard to look at a diesel 4x4 and compare it to what a typical diesel in a sedan will sound like, if you take a look at some of the recent topgear road test done on diesel sedans, you'll see that at least the europeans have the noise issues sorted out in the last 2 years or so, where in some cases, the diesel motors offered are actually quieter then the gasoline motors in the same car

keep in mind that the typical diesel your used to hearing is a 6.x L or bigger v8 and not a 1.6-3.0L 4 banger or v6

Mar 21, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #19 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by nysulli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
again, its hard to look at a diesel 4x4 and compare it to what a typical diesel in a sedan will sound like, if you take a look at some of the recent topgear road test done on diesel sedans, you'll see that at least the europeans have the noise issues sorted out in the last 2 years or so, where in some cases, the diesel motors offered are actually quieter then the gasoline motors in the same car

keep in mind that the typical diesel your used to hearing is a 6.x L or bigger v8 and not a 1.6-3.0L 4 banger or v6

My stepmother's 2006 Jetta TDI is not noisy at all. The only way you're able to tell that it's a diesel is by the clicking sound it makes (it sounds like engine knock actually).

Even the new diesel pickups have comparable noise to gasoline pickups.

Mar 21, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #20 of 40
he was okay in triple X and the chronicals of riddick. didn't see the fast and furious and don't wanna touch the pacifer

and i don't see myself going to the theater for his future works

Mar 21, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #21 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll never buy a diesel. the fuel stinks and the exhaust fumes are worse. Ever get caught in heavy traffic behind a bus or diesel pickup? It'll make you sick to your stomach in no time
blink.gif

When run on vegetable oil, the smell is actually quite pleasant.

Mar 21, 2007 at 11:54 AM Post #22 of 40
Bought a used 1980 Diesel Rabbit Pick-up, in 1981 and eventually sold it in 1987.

It had a fifteen gallon fuel tank, and a fifteen gallon saddle tank in the bed.

I could go 1300 miles without stopping for fuel, easy! With the airconditioner on!

I put three cylinder heads on, and two entire engines in that thing, over 320,000 miles. Still was the overall champ of any vehicle I ever owned, .19USD/MILE, tax, licence, fuel, oil, shocks, clutch and brake jobs, tires, batteries, filters, insurance, carwashes and wax. Only reason I got rid of it was that it wasn't reliable towards the end, that and the suspension was at the end of its adjustments.

Mar 21, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #24 of 40
You know, I kept reading in car magazines about how North Americans have so much trouble accepting the thought of diesel passenger cars because they're stuck on the concept of them being smelly and noisy, and I guess that's true.

The reality is that new passenger car diesels are nothing like that anymore. The technology has come a really long way. They're much quieter, cleaner, and simply make more sense than gasoline engines at this point.

I'm really excited to hear that Honda is bringing their diesel engine over here. It's supposed to be extremely sophisticated.

Mar 21, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #25 of 40
The new diesels, if they are anything like the ones in Europe, will change people's minds about diesels forever.

No shake, no noise, no smoke, virtually no smell and you can go forever on a tank of diesel.

Bring 'em on!

Mar 22, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #26 of 40
I loooove the smell of diesel!
My next car will be a diesel, unless I win the lottery, then it'll be a V12 diesel!!! ...the Audi Q7 diesel mountain pusher that is
biggrin.gif

regarding one of the earlier replies about vw being a german car, isn't only the engineering aspect true of this, the cars themselves are actually manufactured in Mexico? Maybe im wrong, but i've heard that the newer dubs are no more from germany, except for maybe the passat and higher models (phaton?).

picture time!!

Q7060127_large.jpg

Mar 22, 2007 at 2:17 PM Post #27 of 40
Well, here in Belgium Diesel cars are "normal" cars now. Gasoline is usually only used for compact cars or sports car, or sometimes small familly sedans (If you do less than 6000 miles/year, above that diesel is more economical).

But then here diesel is much less taxed than gasoline because it is supposed to be the "professional" fuel.

Many peoples over here actually prefer diesel now as there have been much more improvement on the diesel front than the gasoline one. Also since fuel taxes are heavy over here (at some point a gallon of gasoline would set you back around 7$ and a galon of diesel around $4.5) consuption is a big priority even for non ecologically conscious types.

Only the oldest diesel engines still have the sulfur emissions problems, modern ones are very clean. Actually from Europe it seems wierd that you don't use diesel more. Here any kind of large vehicle like a 4x4 or pickup not being diesel is pretty much unconcievable, if you wanted to buy one I'm not sure you would find one.

Mar 24, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #28 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by nysulli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The nickel is mined and smelted at a plant in Sudbury, Ontario. This plant has caused so much environmental damage to the surrounding environment that NASA has used the ‘dead zone’ around the plant to test moon rovers. The area around the plant is devoid of any life for miles.

Why would NASA test anything in Ontario? I love the whole apocryphal article.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trippytiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The reality is that new passenger car diesels are nothing like that anymore. The technology has come a really long way. They're much quieter, cleaner, and simply make more sense than gasoline engines at this point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nardin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new diesels, if they are anything like the ones in Europe, will change people's minds about diesels forever.

No shake, no noise, no smoke, virtually no smell and you can go forever on a tank of diesel.

Bring 'em on!

I'll quote you guys rather than the knee-jerk reactionaries who have evidently never seen a modern diesel. You can't really tell the difference between a diesel and a gas model here in Germany; the diesels aren't even that much slower anymore. They definitely do get better gas mileage-- up until it was discontinued last year, there was a model of the VW Lupo that got 78 miles per gallon.

Mar 24, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #29 of 40
IMO, the company that markets a 35-40mpg diesel regular size SUV and minivan will be the big winner in the US market.

Absolutely no reason why US car buyers will not buy into the newer diesel engines the same way Europe has.

Mar 24, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #30 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would NASA test anything in Ontario? I love the whole apocryphal article.

Because Sudbury happens to be in the Sudbury Basin, an old crater caused by a comet impact. As it says in the Wikipedia article, NASA astronauts trained there to become more familiar with shatter cones, which are formed by such impacts.

And thanks for backing up us pro-diesel North Americans in this thread with some actual experience! We'll all be driving oil-burners yet, I hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back