Wait for Westone 3 or bite the Triple.Fi? How about M5?
Jul 24, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't you try the Yuin Pk1?

The Yuin PK-1/2/3 are the most grado-est non grado i've heard. Ive also been searching for a grado iem for the longest time. I never did find it
frown.gif
but I havent heard the UM series
frown.gif

Jul 24, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #17 of 29
I got the UM1.
Nothing like Grado.
UM1 and UM2 are kinna dark, muddy but sweet. IMO.

I've heard a lot of good words on the PK siries but that doesn't interest me.
I need ISOLATION. :)

Jul 24, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #18 of 29
Are the TF10P available yet, though? Checked at Earphonesolutions which says they'll ship on the 26th (which means I'll wait even longer for my pre-ordered ones here in Sweden :p). Coming from the ER4 as well I chose them based on some reviews saying that they are more like "levelled up" ER4:s than the E500/530 but who knows when I'll finally get to hear them...

Jul 24, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #19 of 29
I may add about the m5's. After burn-in I too thoughed they were way to bassy. But when you use the bi flanges the driver is much further from the ear than with the foam's or olives etc. With the driver further from you ear it actually sounds a lot better: bass not dominating as much and mid and highs are just fine. (With the olives or foam's they sound very bad IMO.) I think the m5's are real headturners with there low bass and smooth mids and highs. I find them the best phone for hiphop out of my little headphone collection, but they also do good in all other genres. I have only had the chance to use them with my Iaudio g3. I expected alot more when I get a new DAP, which I still don't know.

Jul 24, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Yuin PK-1/2/3 are the most grado-est non grado i've heard. Ive also been searching for a grado iem for the longest time. I never did find it
frown.gif
but I havent heard the UM series
frown.gif

Try the d-JAYS.

Jul 25, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #21 of 29
Try the Atrios. If you don't like them, the excellent FS customer service will give you a full refund. What can we say that already hasn't been said about these 100 times already? Well, I wouldn't call the Atrio's mids, at least the lower mids, at all dark. The upper mids may be a little recessed, but they create a very wide and detailed soundstage, and the lower mids are actually more present and HD600-like than any other IEM I've tried.

Whereas the Etys seem to have been designed to give good bass only when the best seal is achieved, the Atrios seem to give the best bass and balance with a fairly strong, but not too strong or too deep of a seal.
After trying out complys, foams, and olives, I ended up finding the best balance of sound with the large FS foams.

Keep in mind that the Atrio drivers are very similar to those used in the FS custom monitors, which b/c of their rigid design, don't give you quite the same seal as super-stuffed Shure olives. Also remember that everyone's ear canals are shaped differently, and that the shape and seal of the chamber between a person's ear drum and the IEM can often determine the level of bass smearing or "wetting" of other frequencies more so than the design of the IEM itself. Once you find the right tips for you, you should love the Atrios.

Jul 25, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #22 of 29
Agree on the Atrios. As I have said before, I directly AB tested them with the ER4P/S, and after hours of listening, the Atrios just sounded smoother, richer, better. I wanted to keep my Etys, but there was no reason. I could never go back, especially unamped. The Atrios keep getting better with age.

Jul 25, 2007 at 8:36 AM Post #24 of 29
the thing i really dont get about this thread is that the main question is :
should i get a BMW or a merc, or maybe a skoda....

you´re compering 2 very high level canalphones (when their custom ear molded, then its a IEM), with a mid level canalphone,

i would think that the Westone and Ultimate ears equivalents to the M5 would be the Super.fi 5 and the UM2 or 1,

Jul 25, 2007 at 8:41 AM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the thing i really dont get about this thread is that the main question is :
should i get a BMW or a merc, or maybe a skoda....

you´re compering 2 very high level canalphones (when their custom ear molded, then its a IEM), with a mid level canalphone,

i would think that the Westone and Ultimate ears equivalents to the M5 would be the Super.fi 5 and the UM2 or 1,

That would be true if this were a general question but EFN mentioned very specific criteria and also why he thought it came down to it being between those IEMs (specifically the mentioning of a grado-ish IEM).

Jul 25, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #26 of 29
Just because the guys at Future Sonics developed their single driver Atrio for $200, choosing not to join the "more $20 armatures = more overall detail = 20-fold price hike" marketing game played by the other manufacturers, doesn't mean that it is necessarily a mid-level phone.
The FS team just have a different definition of what high level should mean, and that definition has developed over a lot of time working with musicians who want to hear a more full, coherent and non-fatiguing sound. Whereas the guys at Shure, Westone and Ultimate Ears have intentionally limited the performance of their $200 phones to justify their more expensive models, I think the team at FS knew they had the technology to produce the type of presentation they wanted for less than $200, so they didn't charge any more. Make sense?

Jul 26, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #27 of 29
Try the M5's. Smoooooth, Rich sound that still has good detail.
The bass does not overpower anything to my ears with my setup.
It's just that the bass is actually there for a change.
The midrange is just fine, IMO, TYVM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back