Wait for Westone 3 or bite the Triple.Fi? How about M5?
Jul 24, 2007 at 8:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

EFN

Headphoneus Supremus
Yeap you read it right. I am in the water again looking for an IEM to buddy my trustworthy ER-4S (I have two of em!
etysmile.gif
)

If I am such an Ety Zealot why looking then?
plainface.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Hmmmmm, make it like this. With my current source which is SUPER resolving, my ER-4S has that certain problem with peaky songs, you know those bright sounding records and I have around 40% in my collection such tracks.

So, I am looking for a 2nd IEM that will need to have healthy bottom
biggrin.gif
and didn't sacrifice the highs. I am pretty much set with gunning the Triple.Fi way but with Westone 3 just around the corner perhaps I should spare my bullets yes?

An oh, will an Atrio M5 suit me?

PS:
No Shures for me, I am not a fan of Shure's mid and Treble Rolloff...

Thanks.

Jul 24, 2007 at 9:22 AM Post #2 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif

An oh, will an Atrio M5 suit me?

Well I just received my M5s about 3 hours ago, and have been listening to them against the Crossroad X3s since (unamped from nano 2g).

The bass is definitely present
basshead.gif
. I'm finding that (at least out of the box) the bass tends to swamp the rest of the frequencies... Having said that, I used to find the X3s a little bassy for my liking.

Have gotten a little more used to the M5 presentation, but then switching back to the X3s reminded me that there's more to music than bass
etysmile.gif

Have yet to try them amped, and only tried the biflanges so this may change.

Personally i've got my eye on those Westone 3s as well
wink.gif
. The M5s are to train my ears for the next step up hehe
icon10.gif

Jul 24, 2007 at 9:32 AM Post #3 of 29
very_evil_smiley.gif
traitor!
very_evil_smiley.gif

I assumed you've heard both.

M5 is good but somewhat bassy. I'm also interested in getting one to compliment my ER-4S.

However, Triple.fi is another story due to $399 price tag. Go read Ray's Westone3 thread one more time before you pull the trigger mate.

Jul 24, 2007 at 9:37 AM Post #4 of 29
Pretty much everything other than the ER4 that isn't a custom will, as a matter of course, have a fairly, perhaps even deeply, rolled off upper-midrange, which means there is no need to worry about harshness with any of them.

Aside from that, I thought you had fixed the harshness problem with equalization!

Jul 24, 2007 at 9:39 AM Post #5 of 29
I've been trying the Atrio M5 that nc8000 loaned me until yesterday. They have poor, dark mids. Vocals aren't nearly as clear and sweet as on the Etys. The bass is endless, and "wets" the rest of the spectrum. Impact is ok, but the bass never ends, and is a bit unreal. Detail is pretty good.
If you have bright recordings, why don't you just get a Xin Supermini?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Equalizer (I'm using settings similar to yours) + Bass boost switch work wonders.

Jul 24, 2007 at 10:46 AM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aside from that, I thought you had fixed the harshness problem with equalization!

A little off topic but I think I'll treat your EQ tweak as I do an entire new pair of phones. I'll give it a week of listening & switch back and forth to fully absorb the difference.

So far I am satisfied using it with some peaky tunes. "Funeral" by Band of Horses for example.

Jul 24, 2007 at 11:46 AM Post #7 of 29
The M5 would be too bassy for your tastes. The triple.fi, however, have been said by a number of people to have an ety-like presentation, with added bass. Have you considered customs? I've tried the livewires and I must say they're very good for the price. Bright and reveling.

Jul 24, 2007 at 12:30 PM Post #8 of 29
yobs:
Thanks. Sounds like M5 is not for me
plainface.gif

SONGsanmanwah:
HAHAHAHA I didn't say I gonna abandon the Ety path. Just that I think she needs a partner for my bright songs. Yep I know the price for Triple.Fi is quite steep, but so will Westone 3 I reckon

PiccoloNamek:
Yes it did. you EQ settings does the job. BUT remember that I also listen a lot to Thrash/Speed Metal and noisy Industrial songs. I don't need accurary for those songs. Most of them are quite peaky and bright. So you could say that I am looking for a "Grado IEM" :etymile:

antonyfirst:
I did tought about getting a SuperMini-IV, but my problem is with harsh recordings which was mastered poorly. iMod + SuperMicro-IV + ER-4S is quite brutal in revealing those flaws. So I need not so punishing an IEM for those songs - switching to SuperMini-IV would not make those bad recording sound good.

:norseman8485:
WOW! so I take it you already have a Livewires for yourself haaa. I has to be yours or how would a custom IEM fit into someone else ears
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2007 at 1:22 PM Post #10 of 29
Nah, the pair I tried were molded into universals for auditioning purposes but it gave a very good idea of the actual sound as it goes quite deep with a good seal. I too, am waiting for the westone3 to come out so to decide which route to go. But given the westone house sound, I'm not to hopeful about the treble.

PK1 is something else entirely. It has no isolation whatsoever. The best way I can describe its sound is ksc75 in an earbud.

Jul 24, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #11 of 29
With Etys as the reference, Triple Fi's will sound extreemly rolled off and fuzzy. It's like apples and oranges. Ety is sharp, quick pristine detail and TFP is open, airy much longer decay. But soundstage and bass wise, the UE's kill the Etys.

Jul 24, 2007 at 1:42 PM Post #12 of 29
M5's are not too bass heavy for me. I prefer midrange clarity above all and treble second.

Shure E500's are more detailed, but the M5's are smoother and the bass is more full.

YMMV depending on your source

Jul 24, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #13 of 29
Yeah, I have to say that I really like my Atrios. They definitely require burn-in time, but if you do so, the bass dominance disappears and the highs and mids come through very nicely.... They aren't quite as energetic or detailed as my Etys, but they get very close. After a bit of time with the Atrios, I've found that they've become my preferred mobile IEMs (I still use my Etys with my GoVibe 6, but very rarely straight out of my iPod any more).

I couldn't get past the midrange recession on the TF10P. If you like the Ety top end and want more bass, they're fine. If you like strong clear mids, I wouldn't recommend them at all.

Jul 24, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #14 of 29
I'm starting to wonder if there is any variation amongst the production runs of the Atrio's. I experience none of the issues with the midrange and highs that anthonyfirst mentions. I do love good bass, so obviously I'm pro-atrio's there... but to my ears the mids and highs are very present, smooth, natural. Then again mine are fully burned in for months now. Perhaps those that think the mids/highs are lacking haven't let them burn in totally, or have faulty units?

...Dunno.

Jul 24, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trager /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I couldn't get past the midrange recession on the TF10P. If you like the Ety top end and want more bass, they're fine. If you like strong clear mids, I wouldn't recommend them at all.

QFT, 100% agreed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back