Wadia iTransport iPod Dock Gets Bit-Perfect Digital from iPods!
Jun 21, 2008 at 10:06 AM Post #347 of 428
Not being invested in an iPod I'm going a different route to get the same without the need for a lovely but expensive transport:

iRiver H120 with optical out - $145
80gb hard drive upgrade - $85
Rockbox software for FLAC - $0

Jun 21, 2008 at 11:48 AM Post #348 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmudrick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not being invested in an iPod I'm going a different route to get the same without the need for a lovely but expensive transport:

iRiver H120 with optical out - $145
80gb hard drive upgrade - $85
Rockbox software for FLAC - $0

Hmmm...I don't know that I'd say "the same", given all this can do.

BTW - As a former iRiver H140 owner, I think it's a passable digital out for portable/lugable applications. I don't see using it quite the same way (or as well) as I'd use this, however. There's also the matter of current production.

This looks like a very interesting product, which has sparked some debate about how useful it is or is not. I for one think that it will do pretty well, and will surely own one before long.

Jun 21, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #350 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by robster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Howdy- will somebody plez post their thoughts on how the Wadia 170 Ipod Transport sounds? I bought one but can't hook it up yet untill we move into our house in 2 weeks.

Cheers,
Robert

I started a different thread dedicated to that question.
Since this ones seems to be mostly about speculation. The merits of. The need for. etc etc. I thought it would be more simple to dedicate a new thread to the actual performance.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/wad...s-club-336213/

Jun 22, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #351 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm...I don't know that I'd say "the same", given all this can do.

BTW - As a former iRiver H140 owner, I think it's a passable digital out for portable/lugable applications. I don't see using it quite the same way (or as well) as I'd use this, however. There's also the matter of current production.

Sure, it looks to be a great product.

Not looking to hijack the thread but I am curious about why you think the H140 just "passable". It's old technology and not exactly elegant but I'm thinking with a flash drive substituted for the hard drive the H1x0's would be awesome FLAC players (til they break of course). Did you have problems with the iRiver's digital out?

Jun 22, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #352 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So say $350 for an iPod, $350 for the gizmo and say $300 for a DAC so a grand or so. I would seriously doubt that many typical pod owners, outside of this community would take that route. I like my iPod, it is great at what it does but this seems like too much of a niche market, but I will be interested to see how they do.

I was kind of thinking the same thing. As great and cheap as it is, it is almost too simple of a product. Now if the Wadia had a fantastic DAC inside also, now we would be talking... oh, and an amplifier : )

Jun 22, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #353 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... Now if the Wadia had a fantastic DAC inside also, now we would be talking... oh, and an amplifier : )

Can you say "Nuforce Icon"?. Seems like Nuforce timed release of their DAC/Amp just right. Have one on order.

Jun 22, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #354 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmudrick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you say "Nuforce Icon"?. Seems like Nuforce timed release of their DAC/Amp just right. Have one on order.

The Icon's DAC is USB only (I have one). It does a good job driving my HE60 and Stax thru an SRD-7 Pro transformer box. I haven't tried it with speakers only the Stats, and the headphone amp section needs to burn-in, and I'm feeding it from my iMod and Apogee mini-DAC so I haven't tried the DAC yet. Anticipating and answering questions before they arrive...

Jun 22, 2008 at 8:45 AM Post #355 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Icon's DAC is USB only (I have one). ...

I'll probably stick with my Citypulse DAC and use the Icon only as an amp, but I wonder if you could use a M-Audio Transit to take an optical source and output to a USB DAC like the Icon?

Jun 22, 2008 at 9:54 AM Post #356 of 428
Reading the first impressions, i can't wait for the first portable headamp manufacturer to integrate this digital interface in there amp. I have read that one of the designers of the iQube had also designed a complete discrete dac. No that sounds like a treat if those 2 got combined and feed with an iPod.

Are you busy Hans?
biggrin.gif

But i am still waiting that somebody figures out how Wadia gets those bits jitter free from the iPod.

Can not find the post, but to the one that opened one up. Would you like to share a picture (or 2) of it's innards?

Jun 23, 2008 at 7:05 AM Post #357 of 428
There seems to be an Apple certified chip inside the transport needed to activate the digital out on the iPod.

I guess there is a big issue here with repsect to copy rights.

If that is all the case, the costs invloved would make such an portable amp (looking to the quantity you can sell) I estimate 100.000US$ a piece?

Well 100.000 might be too high but I am sure it would be way too expensive, looking to what the general opinion to the price of the iQube is.

So I will pass on this one. Sorry

Jun 23, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #358 of 428
here's your pic.
hoosterw is correct. There is a chip unique to Apple that authenticates and allows the digital info extracted.

P6020584-1.jpg

Jun 23, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #359 of 428
That's a lot of empty space... Does remind me of when I opened my MF X-RAY
frown.gif
It locks if the Video signals and analogue signals are send to the sockets straight from the iPod without any form of buffering. The digital section seems to be some kind of converting going on.

If I recall correctly, as an individual, you may back engineer the handshake and implement it for personal use. It's pity Apple is only playing with the big boys
frown.gif

@Hoosterw. Did the analogue audio out of the iPhone also relay on a verification chip of apple to output it's audio? I know from the recordingplugin (f.e. Belkins TuneTalk) possibilities of the iPod, it was just a matter of responding with a hexadecimal word to unlock it.

Jun 24, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #360 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jelle Schrijver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a lot of empty space...

Somehow I knew someone would say that. And it still always makes me laugh.
With the size of component parts still getting smaller by the year, I'd say that board would be twice its size only 10 years ago.
We passed the point a long time ago where the size of the box is any indication of what is going on inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back