Wadia iTransport and 5.5G iMod
Dec 16, 2008 at 4:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

j24

100+ Head-Fier
I posted a similar thread in the source but I haven't got any answer yet. Since Ken carries both, I was wondering if he knows if the 5.5G iMod is compatible with the Wadia iTransport.

Dec 16, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #2 of 12
Yes, they are compatible.

Dec 16, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkkopi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, they are compatible.

Do you know this from experience?

I am also interested in understanding some of the dependencies of this - like I posted in the digital source forum:

The point to me is:
- would the digital out work on the 5.5G iMOD same as for a stock 5G
- would the analog out (as it has no CAP in the signal path in the iMOD) break anything in the Wadia -> according to Wadia the analog seems to be a 'path through', so I guess it shouldn't but want to make sure
- it is my understanding to use the analog out (provided it does not break anything inside - see above) it would require a cap solution to be inserted after the analog RCAs (like portable VCAP)

I would really appreciate if anyone can elaborate on this.

Thanks!

Dec 16, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by suikodenii /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you know this from experience?

I am also interested in understanding some of the dependencies of this - like I posted in the digital source forum:

The point to me is:
- would the digital out work on the 5.5G iMOD same as for a stock 5G
- would the analog out (as it has no CAP in the signal path in the iMOD) break anything in the Wadia -> according to Wadia the analog seems to be a 'path through', so I guess it shouldn't but want to make sure
- it is my understanding to use the analog out (provided it does not break anything inside - see above) it would require a cap solution to be inserted after the analog RCAs (like portable VCAP)

I would really appreciate if anyone can elaborate on this.

Thanks!

I have an iTranport and an iMod. Tried them and they work.

The iMod will just work as a HDD transport when docked onto the iTransport, meaning the mod(iMod) done to the ipod is renderred useless, so you would get the same results if you were to dock a normal 5G ipod.

As for the analog path, I have not tried them though. Maybe when I have the trime, I will try to measure the DC offset from the iTransport analog out when my iMod is docked.

Dec 16, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkkopi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an iTranport and an iMod. Tried them and they work.

The iMod will just work as a HDD transport when docked onto the iTransport, meaning the mod(iMod) done to the ipod is renderred useless, so you would get the same results if you were to dock a normal 5G ipod.

As for the analog path, I have not tried them though. Maybe when I have the trime, I will try to measure the DC offset from the iTransport analog out when my iMod is docked.

Thank You!
normal_smile .gif

And yes, if you ever get a chance of checking the analog out that would be very appreciated.

Cheers.

Dec 16, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by j24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I posted a similar thread in the source but I haven't got any answer yet. Since Ken carries both, I was wondering if he knows if the 5.5G iMod is compatible with the Wadia iTransport.

Hey J24,

Sorry I did not see your question in the announcment thread.

The mod of the imod only alters the analog out of the ipod, therefor the digital out function works fine with a iMod. Like Darkkopi says the mod portion of the imod is not used.

Thanks

ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Dec 16, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #7 of 12
thanks Ken for the answer. I got an iMod from you a while back and I have been interested in getting an ITransport when my finances allow me. One more think, like Darkkopi is asking, do we need a portable VCAP in that type of configuration : IMod + iTransport + DAC + headphone amp?

Dec 16, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by j24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks Ken for the answer. I got an iMod from you a while back and I have been interested in getting an ITransport when my finances allow me. One more think, like Darkkopi is asking, do we need a portable VCAP in that type of configuration : IMod + iTransport + DAC + headphone amp?

All,

If you are using the 5G/5.5G iMod with the iTransport, you really ought to be using an external dac. This is the point of using the iTransport - to get the s/pdif digital output signal (via the coax jack).

If you try to connect the iMod to the iTransport's analog outputs, you won't have the dc blocking caps in the path (since the iTransport's analog output is a pass-through from the line out dock of the iPod), so you'll have dc offset voltage on the output - this is no good and NOT recommended!

So I recommend if you are using the iMod with an iTransport, use the digital output to an external dac. If you want to use the iMod's analog output (taken directly from the Wolfson dac), you need to use the ALO iMod dock cable (with the built-in black gate caps) or dock unit (Vcap, Auricap).

Regarding questions I have received about "which is better, iTransport or iMod," this really depends on the dac you are using with the iTransport and your tastes in sound. You may prefer the sound of the iMod to a certain external dac unit connected to the iTransport, and vice versa. As a transport, the iTransport is certainly not a low-jitter design - but it gets the job done and I think it is a good value.

best regards,

Vinnie

Dec 16, 2008 at 10:44 PM Post #9 of 12
Speaking of that, if anyone wants a drop dead awesome DAC look no further than the Red Wine Audio Isabella.

If your in the market for the Isabell and iTransport please contact me for a special package deal!

Isabella DAC - a reference-level, battery powered vacuum tube line-stage preamplifier

Or the Isabella DAC version with the headphone output stage.

Thanks all

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dec 17, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #10 of 12
Ok, let's keep this going now that we have few experts checking in
atsmile.gif

I'm using my iTransport with a good reclocking DAC (Chord DAC64) ...am I fully getting rid of the jitter? (I realize the iTransport uses some so-so parts).

I'll be adding a 2nd iTransport upstairs (yes I like the utility of these and the "semi" high end sound), but I won't have the luxury of Chord DAC in that system. Is there anything that can be inserted between iTransport (digital) and the DAC to reduce jitter? and will that be effective?

Good to know that the iMod and iTransport are compatible if I just use digital out (which is the whole point of the iTransport anyway).

Dec 17, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #11 of 12
iMod 5.5G > Wadia iTransport works.

To eliminate the jitter, and to upsample, I am going to add a Monarchy Audio DIP 24/96 before my moodlab dac (which although it can handled LPCM at 96 will not on its own upsample the 44.1 wav files on the iMod).

This will be a kewl system for the office, where the goal is to get people to ask "what's this" and "what's that". Then in to the Head-Direct EF1 with an RCA cleartop and Denon D1001's re-cabled by MarkL (closed, contain well, let in outside sound like the phone which is important for the office, and not too big or geeky).

All cute little boxes. I am going to set it all up this weekend (all gear in hand) and see how it sounds. I might add a vintage Sony Walkman 555 which has optical out since the DIP has a handy switch for selecting the Tos or RCA digital-in. Now I can listen to CD's as well.

Take the iMod home every night, and use it as a real iMod with the ALO cap cable and an iQube when on the road.

Added: another approach for the office desktop, which I suggested in an earlier thead, is to connect the Wadia to a single box solution: DAC+HP Amp. A good DAC will re-clock and handle the jitter issue. The RWA one suggested below by ALO looks fantastic and I bet it sounds phenomenal, but $6K is too rich for me, and I would be afaid to leave it at the office. A used Benchmark DAC-1 (no USB) can be had for $725 or so, and has HP out. Steve at Empirical Audio will mod the HP amp which doubles the price, but might be worth it (I got the used DAC-1, but haven't ordered the upgrade. I want to compare it to the DIP+moodlab combo). Steve can also add even more jitter reducing magic if you have the bucks.

Jan 27, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #12 of 12
I finally got a little time to mess around with my iTransport. Pretty impressive, I am using mine with a Xindak05 (tube output) and a Red Wine Audio Sig30.2 and Isabella preamp (alternate Manley Stingray) and my speakers are a pair of Martin Logan Vantages. With the Wadia iTransport I was seriously not wanting to stop listening, very musical, clean and tight. The complaints I have is that the interface with the ipod is kind of weak. I am using my 5.5G 80gig imod with it by the way. Also the powersupply and connectors could be upgraded, possible mod. Very happy with mine, on my poor lonely CD player
frown.gif

Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back