Wadia DAC with Headphone Amp by Ray Samuels
Feb 3, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #31 of 36
Well, so THIS is the DAC I've been hearing about?!
biggrin.gif

I guess I'll need to budget about $1500 for early 2010 or so.

I'm really interested in learning more about this DAC. I think it's going to be a nice product for the folks at Wadia...and for their customers. It's a nice entry level price point for a sonic signature that I like as much as anything I've heard out there.

Oh...and I'll be VERY interested to learn about the RSA headphone amp as well. This combines two product lines that I like a LOT, and I suspect that the integration will work to an ultimate benefit sound-wise. Sounds like a winner for all concerned.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry but I have to add my .02 cents to this. After reading all of the whiny, 'why are they using Ray's design'....'Why is it $500 more for an RSA integrated HP amp section'..

Look, if you have an issue with the price or the fact that they chose to 'sell out' to Ray Samuels, then don't buy the goddman thing! I never seen so many b*tch posts in one setting before. For chrissakes, just don't buy it! Simple!

X2!!

Unfortunately, I kind of expected some of that reaction, especially after I read some of the comments attached to the Stereophile blog. Not some of those folks' finest hours IMHO.

The good news (if that's the way to put it) for those that Morph201 is referring to is that the DAC is apparently available without an integrated headphone amp. So, those who prefer another manufacturer are free to explore other options. Those of us who don't will be very happy, thank you, in spite of the whining of others.
biggrin.gif

Feb 4, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #32 of 36
If this DAC sounds like a 301 or 302 then it will be a winner. But in true Wadia fashion, 2nd half of 2009 more likely means middle of 2010!

Feb 6, 2009 at 8:12 AM Post #33 of 36
Will it have balanced out to headphones?

Feb 21, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #34 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Champ04 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I took a close look at this thing while at CES and thought it a great idea.

The 121 is, for all intents and purposes, the old 300 series from Wadia. It uses the same level of digimaster software. (digimaster 3.x)

For any long time Wadia enthusiats you will remember that the 300 series of cd players were their "entry level" stuff. These cdp used the "16X" sampling algorithm. Now that seems to be in this little gem. So I would expect it to sound very similar to those pieces.

I missed this post first time around, so I wanted to respond.

I wish that I'd taken the time to discuss this product a bit further the last time I was over at Wadia. This looks like it's going to be quite a product.

If it truly is effectively the old 301/302, it's going to be a tremendous bargain at that price point.

Given the footprint, I'm wondering if they are as a matter of necessity going to have to scale back on some things. For example, the power supplies in the Wadia products are pretty robust. In this form factor, it seems to me that there might be some limitations...or might we see some form of upgradeable external supply? I'm wondering will some features like digital volume control will be preserved? I use this feature on my Wadia 830's to turn them into more-than-passable balanced headphone amps, and if I could do the same with this AT THAT PRICEPOINT, it would be a fantastic bargain.

All that said, even if it's not a complete 301 without a drive section, it promises to be a great product. Wadia IMHO does digital better than anyone I've heard, and it's exciting to see a new product at this price point that will marry their house sound with computer audio and their successful iTransport.

Feb 21, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #35 of 36

Users who are viewing this thread

Back