Wadia + DAC vs Imod vs ???
Feb 8, 2010 at 5:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

chzplz

100+ Head-Fier
hi everyone

I used to rely 100% on my stock 5.5 and then 6G ipod as sorce using a plain jane LOD into the rca's on the various amps I have, but once I got some decent amps the deficiencies in the sq of the ipod became more noticeable, even when playing alac files, so I started using my (low end) universal dvd-a/sacd/cd player as source. Now I miss the convenience ofthe ipod and want to put it back in the mix. My question is how to do so w/best SQ. The 2 options i'm considering are 1) get a 5.5G imod w/decent alo imod lod, or 2) get wadia itransport and add a good but not top-shelf dac. A third option I'd consider is trashing the ipod for another pdp_ but it needs to have a decent size HD (i'm up to about 100G on my 160G 6G right now, and would rather not have to swap tunes on/off if I can avoid it).

a few more points, if relevant: 1) Portability is not a big issue. 2) much of the aforementioned 100G of music is unfortunately aac lossy files- downloaded long before I saw the potential for high quality listening w/a pdp.

I can spend up to around $1k if needed to get very good sound. The end result will be amped by a Singlepower sds-t or maestro ( I have the sds, maestro is pending), and will be played through jvc hp-dx1000's, so while I can't afford a top-of-the-line solution, i'd rather spend now and not have to replace later.

if an external dac is recommended, please offer anysuggestions as to which one if you can.

cheers

ira

Feb 8, 2010 at 5:27 AM Post #2 of 2
third option: imod with vcap dock
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back