Wadia 170 iTransport owners club
Sep 9, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #211 of 330
good question.

FWIW my answer is "It better fit!"
wink.gif
Otherwise Apple has put its partner is a bad spot with its future customer base.

IIRC Apple provides these plastic "adapters" to support the line out on any iPod. These plastic white adapters slide into dock and then fit appropriately for the iPod of choice.

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #212 of 330
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The big question for me is, "will the new 120GB Classic" work (fit) in my Wadia i170 Transport. Does anyone know for sure?

I think the inserts that the Wadia has now will already fit the 120gb perfectly. If it's not a good fit, I'm sure Wadia will supply them (it's just a little piece of plastic and there is plenty of room in the dock for many sizes).

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #213 of 330
Quote:

Originally Posted by spraggih /img/forum/go_quote.gif
good question.

FWIW my answer is "It better fit!"
wink.gif
Otherwise Apple has put its partner is a bad spot with its future customer base.

IIRC Apple provides these plastic "adapters" to support the line out on any iPod. These plastic white adapters slide into dock and then fit appropriately for the iPod of choice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by noshortcuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the inserts that the Wadia has now will already fit the 120gb perfectly. If it's not a good fit, I'm sure Wadia will supply them (it's just a little piece of plastic and there is plenty of room in the dock for many sizes).

Thanks for the response. I was pretty sure that it would fit. I'm just unsure at this point whether I should buy the older 160 GB Classic, or if there is any real reason to even buy the new 120 GB Classic instead....

Sep 11, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #214 of 330
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the response. I was pretty sure that it would fit. I'm just unsure at this point whether I should buy the older 160 GB Classic, or if there is any real reason to even buy the new 120 GB Classic instead....

There is one problem with the 160 that seems pretty wide spread: random pauses and resumes of music. The pauses are for about 2 seconds and occur anywhere from 20 minutes to several hours apart and randomly. The 80gb has the same issue. I hope, but don't know, that they have solved this problem in the new 120gb unit.

Sep 11, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #216 of 330
Hi All,

Just want to let everyone know that I emailed Wadia yesterday, and they said that the new 2nd gen ipod touch will work "just fine" with 170i. They also said due to the new curved size, probably best to use the included mount adapter from apple. Will update with pics once I get the itouch. Can't wait.

Picked iTouch over classic due to my small cd collection and looking for best possible sound quality: flash memory over rotating disc.

Sep 11, 2008 at 1:30 PM Post #218 of 330
Quote:

Originally Posted by neogeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, just saw this:

Wadia 170iTransport High Performance Modifications!

The 1st stage mod seems "relatively" reasonably priced. Will see what tone magazine thinks. Seems to fix at least the 2 weak links: standard power supply and the poor quality dig out plug. But dunno the company that well and dunno if I want to mess with wadia stuff...

Interesting stuff, but that's some serious money they're talking about there. That's for sure...

Sep 16, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #220 of 330
I guys, i'm a french guy so first of all excuse my language mistakes, my question is also about good comprehension of your replies.

I've got an Ipod 80Go 5.5G Video, (bought 1 month before iPod classic release
angry_face.gif
). If i understand your replies, i'll not be able to use the ipod menus when is docked on the Wadia 170. My question is how long does it take for exemple when playing a playlist, to stop it, and choose an other track or another album, and replug the ipod. Do you have to restart it, go into a menu. Could you explain me all the process, for switching a playlist for exemple, and how long does it take.
This product from Wadia interrest me a lot, but i don't want to have a dock wich is not ergonomic at all, and if it's take 2 min or more to switch a playlist, or if i 've to restart my ipod evry time.

An other question with the same subject, will i've screen display available and music selection functionnaliy if i used my iPhone v1 on it.

Thanks for your answsers
BR from Paris

Sep 16, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #221 of 330
Quote:

Picked iTouch over classic due to my small cd collection and looking for best possible sound quality: flash memory over rotating disc.

Jeff Dorgay over at Tone Audio mentioned that he thought he might be getting slightly better sound from the iTouch for this same reason.
But I'm very skeptical of this.
Even though the Classic uses a drive, it still runs everything from buffer memory which I would think negates any advantage of the Touch.

All you have to do to prove this is let the Classic sit in your hand while listening to music. Every once in awhile you can feel the disc spin up and then settle down again. The disc is obviously not accessing the entire time music is playing.
On the other hand, if you are watching a movie it pretty much stays spun up the whole time. (movies=more digital info)

Any thoughts on this?

Sep 16, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #222 of 330
d3smo: for IPOD video you'll have to undock it, select a new playlist, and re-dock. The sync time is about 3-6 seconds. It's a pain if you have to do it over and over frequently. ITouch or Iphone is much easier, as you retain all functions while docked, and you can pick playlists while docked and playing. If you're not THAT much into hi-fidelity, using ipod video with 170i is kinda cumbersome.

Champ04: I know what you're saying, I don't have a good argument for or against it. All I can say is that with absolutely no moving parts, nothing can interfere with the digital signal--Isn't that why some CD transports weigh a tone and has the CD inside a bank vault? I don't know much about the electrical tech behind it all so no flame pls.

But I did get my 2nd gen ITouch yesterday, and it "seems" to be more detailed while playing. It could just be placebo, I'll know more after comparing it with original CD and my old itouch video.

Overall the 170i has been a great experiment and confirms / supports my plan for my future reference audio system: a fanless computer running solid state memory and a firewire to an external DAC, like esoteric....no transports, no isolation devices, no jitter or external noise to speak of.

Sep 17, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #224 of 330
Quote:

d3smo: for IPOD video you'll have to undock it, select a new playlist, and re-dock. The sync time is about 3-6 seconds. It's a pain if you have to do it over and over frequently. ITouch or Iphone is much easier, as you retain all functions while docked, and you can pick playlists while docked and playing. If you're not THAT much into hi-fidelity, using ipod video with 170i is kinda cumbersome.

Thanks for your consern, i visited a local retailler in Paris today who is able to lend me a 170i for one weekend. I think it will be the better way for me to determin if the audio quality and the ergonomy of the Wadia, replies to my expectations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back