Waah, my VSonic GR07 broke!
Jun 25, 2011 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

AstralStorm

500+ Head-Fier
Hello,
I'm in dire straits as my Vsonic's GR07 right channel has just went dead.
Cabling looks intact... I suspect a cold solder joint, I'll see to it in a short while.

However, should I fail to fix them...
Any recommendation for an IEM that's at least as good?
I like the signature (specifically lack of one), except the sibilance of course.

Price is unimportant (note the sig) - anything comparable?

Jun 25, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #2 of 45
Since nobody cared enough to reply, here are some possible contenders:
- Sennheiser IE8 (these have a warm signature, not good)
- Monster Turbines Pro Gold (not as accurate)
- Shure SE535 (highs rolled off?)
- HifiMan RE-262 (RE-272?)
- Earsonic SM3 v2
- Westone 4

More? It definitely has to be available in EU. I might consider custom tips and/or IEMs in the future.

I definitely don't want a bass-depleted IEM - the amount of bass and the texture VSonic GR07 had is perfect - only extension could be very slightly improved. (so, no ATH CK-100 please)

Currently the top hit would be Westone 4 from what I know...

Jun 25, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #3 of 45
I you ordered through lendmeurears, since he's an authorized seller, there's a 1 year warranty. Note sure about other sellers... hope you can get them fixed.

Jun 25, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #5 of 45
Haha, point taken.

The W4 was my first idea for what might be a solid upgrade... Maybe ask Joker in his thread?

Jun 25, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #7 of 45
Sm3 V2 unless it is significantly different versus V1 sonically will not cut it for the OP. I own both and the SM3 just does not have the bass or the treble to compete and it's sound stage is completely different. So unless the OP is wanting to try something different sounding he won't be happy especially at more than double the cost. I hate to say it but I have not heard anything that will be as good as the GR07 based on what you like about it. The Senn IE8 won't do it, Monster Turbine Pro Gold/Copper won't do it, SM3 won't do it. I suspect you already are considering the best possible alternative in the W4 and might find another in maybe the FX700 (unless you need isolation).

To be blunt though I suggest getting another GR07 and then while they are coming in send your first pair off for warranty.

Jun 25, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #8 of 45

Quote:
Sm3 V2 unless it is significantly different versus V1 sonically will not cut it for the OP....

To be blunt though I suggest getting another GR07 and then while they are coming in send your first pair off for warranty.

Agree about the SM3 v2. I have only auditioned the SM3 v1 before but it is way laid back and dark compared to anything I have listened. I am not sure that will be a good option as a 'GR07 upgrade'. If money is indeed not an issue, I will spring for a j-phonic K2 SP myself.

Lemon does happen, so do exchange it with a new one.

Jun 25, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #9 of 45
Another GR07 sounds like a good idea IMO.

Most of the other phones listed sound pretty different unless you fiddle a lot with tip choices.

Jun 26, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #10 of 45
The main problem with just getting another is of course that it only cuts the waiting time in half.
I can get W4, IE8, SE535 or MTPG locally with no wait time - rest will incur delivery wait.

Jun 26, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #11 of 45
Why dont you get something cheaper? Get the meelectronics cc51 for example which has similar paths of sound as far as i understood from reviews.

Btw for how long have you been using the GR07? have you mistreated them?

P.S since you live in the U.S there will be almost no shipping time waiting. Fed ex for example costs only 12$

Jun 26, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #12 of 45
I haven't mistreated my GR07 at all. They are almost a month old.
No, I don't live in the US, but in Poland, which is the Land of Underground Orange and located in Central Europe. (snicker snicker)
The issue is not the expense, but the time.

MEElectronics CC51 is hardly available around here - I'll probably have to wait a week till they arrive... or longer. Not an option.

Brainwavz M2 is the top available of the brand ; Nuforce NE-700X is here too... Better MEElecs are unfortunately not available... best one is M6.
Sleek Audio available here up to SA6, I'm not playing the cable changing game. SA6-R is the first reasonable model and it's not here.
Monster and Shure are available, but with fairly unreasonable prices, so only highest end is viable.

Other brands of which everything is available are: Fischer Audio, Phonak (Audeo), Westone, Sennheiser, Soundmagic and Jays.

Jun 26, 2011 at 6:04 AM Post #14 of 45

Quote:
I haven't mistreated my GR07 at all. They are almost a month old.
No, I don't live in the US, but in Poland, which is the Land of Underground Orange and located in Central Europe. (snicker snicker)
The issue is not the expense, but the time.

MEElectronics CC51 is hardly available around here - I'll probably have to wait a week till they arrive... or longer. Not an option.

Brainwavz M2 is the top available of the brand ; Nuforce NE-700X is here too... Better MEElecs are unfortunately not available... best one is M9P.
Sleek Audio available here up to SA6, I'm not playing the cable changing game. SA6-R is the first reasonable model and it's not here.
Monster and Shure are available, but with fairly unreasonable prices, so only highest end is viable.

Other brands of which everything is available are: Fischer Audio, Phonak (Audeo), Westone, Sennheiser, Soundmagic and Jays.

Am not a meelectronics affiliate but advancedmp3players  have the cc51 in stock and actually in a reduced price. Fedex will reach you by Wednesday to Thursday if you order today.
If you still want them on Monday i will pass on.

With shipping it goes 100 usd. At this price you can look also audeo perfect bass but i think they get further away from gr07 compared to the cc51.

Jun 26, 2011 at 6:44 AM Post #15 of 45
Yes, here's the trick - nobody except asians and Head-Direct make stage monitors really...
And I do need these on monday, wednesday at most...

Plus I hear CC51 hates small ear canals - meaning to me I *will* have fit issues.

I forgot that Beyerdynamic DTX are also available, maybe I'll buy one just out of curiosity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back