WA6 Tube Rolling
Oct 22, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #121 of 135
I am willing to buy tubes for less if you can make someone sell them to me.
biggrin.gif

I will hold out as long as I can, but eventually I'm going to want some better tubes. In the meantime, I will have to be happy with the Sophia Princess and whatever stock tubes Jack sends me.

Oct 26, 2008 at 10:05 AM Post #122 of 135
Jan 20, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #124 of 135
Hi!  Just ordered a silver WA6. Really looking forward to it. 

Jan 20, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #125 of 135
Congrats. I am pondering whether to pull the trigger as the black version is on back order. I would be interest to know how you like it when it arrived and it may just motivate me to place my order

Jan 24, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #126 of 135
  Congrats. I am pondering whether to pull the trigger as the black version is on back order. I would be interest to know how you like it when it arrived and it may just motivate me to place my order

Thanks! It literally just arrived.  I'll try it out tonight and let you know.  

What kind of headphones are you using? 

Jan 25, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #127 of 135
It is always an excitement to setup these stuff and then get a first listen. Enjoy!

I am using the Senn HD650. I still have my Beyer DT770 Pro as backup but I hardly use that now. I tested the new Sony MDR Z1R recently and is planning to get that in next couple of months when stock becomes available. It's impedance is about 65 Ohm and I think the WA6 would be a more suitable amp than OTL headphone amps from what I can understand.

Feb 5, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #128 of 135
There so much information out there that I'm having a hard time getting the specifics of what I'm looking for.  I have a WA6 and a Marantz  HD-DAC1 that I'm using as a source with Kimber RCA's with WBT connectors.  The Headphones are HE X and Audeze EL-8's.  I'm using a Sophia 274B and NOS GE 6FD7's. My problem is that the lower and mid frequencies are spectacular with a lovely sonic signature however the highs are missing a lot of detail.  I know that by doing an A-B between the Marantz AMP/DAC during the same song.  Is there a recommendation for driver tubes that will give me more highs and more high resolution while maintaining the low and mid's?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Dec 28, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #129 of 135
hello guys
just purchased the woo6 i purchased the 13de7s with the adapters from jack , has anyone tested these tubes or does
anyone know anything about them , cant find these tubes anywere online for review .
not a common tube i suppose .

Dec 29, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #130 of 135
hello guys
just purchased the woo6 i purchased the 13de7s with the adapters from jack , has anyone tested these tubes or does
anyone know anything about them , cant find these tubes anywere online for review .
not a common tube i suppose .

The 13DE7 is not a commonly used tube and it's 13 volts. The voltage makes it difficult to roll non 13 volt tubes without some modifications.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_13de7.html

The good news is that they are cheap on that popular auction site.

Jan 3, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #131 of 135
I am a very impatient person I have had the woo 6 for roughly 2 weeks and have had roughly 80 hrs burn in on it,
And I still feel that it sounds a bit rough around the edges , I have the princess Sophia 274b and the 13de7s running on the woo
Can’t help but feel disappointed after 80 hrs burn in .
Guys am I being impatient, shall I give the amp more time because at the moment even tho it sounds good it feels a little lifeless
To say the least.
I have a couple of tubes coming the rca 6de7s maybe the 13de7 is not to my liking , I do not want to roll the tubes just yet until the woo and tubes
Are fully burned in .
What’s your opinion guys does the woo 6 eventually open up ?
Cheers guys .

Jan 3, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #132 of 135
I am a very impatient person I have had the woo 6 for roughly 2 weeks and have had roughly 80 hrs burn in on it,
And I still feel that it sounds a bit rough around the edges , I have the princess Sophia 274b and the 13de7s running on the woo
Guys am I being impatient, shall I give the amp more time because at the moment even tho it sounds good it feels a little lifeless
To say the least.
I have a couple of tubes coming the rca 6de7s maybe the 13de7 is not to my liking , I do not want to roll the tubes just yet until the woo and tubes
Are fully burned in .
Cheers guys .
Just be aware 6DE7 is 6 volt 13DE7 is 13 volt not a drop in tube replacement the tube will incinerate very quickly

Feb 22, 2019 at 11:38 PM Post #133 of 135
Just pulled my WA6 out of storage. Was running a USAF-596 with Sophia 6SN7 and found that to be the best combo after much trial and error. I just dropped in a new rectifier and am very surprised at how good it sounds with this new tube, even better than the Mighty 596. I am now looking to play with the other tubes again.

I’m also running a Brooklyn DAC+ and using HD650 and ZMF Eikons.

https://www.upscaleaudio.com/collections/rectifier-tubes/products/philips-5r4gys-made-in-holland

Feb 22, 2019 at 11:42 PM Post #134 of 135
To say the least.
Are fully burned in .
Cheers guys .

The Sophia 274B leaves much to be desired. Bloated bottom end, overall veiled sound. If the 13DE7 are anything like their lower voltage siblings, I’d swap those out too. The WA6 design leaves a lot of options for tube rollers. Don’t give up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back