WA6 Tube Rolling

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by mamma, Apr 15, 2007.
First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Next

Last
  1. takezo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    ... he would get all the tubes. He had a few million in storage in a barn. I have no idea what has become of them.

reminds me of a couple my wife and i know, who have over 50 realestate
    properties in california and midwest... their accountant told them trying to
    sell them is a tax accountants nightmare... not to mention the market...

anyways, yes, jamato is right again, while the simple emissions testers are
    fractions of the price of transductance tester, it doesn't allow for voltage
    settings so some tube types will get its life shorten by the test... but not
    by too much unless you hold it for a long period...

on a side note: roger kennedy, a certified EE, told me that the tv7A is a fine
    tester on par with the later revisions... he told me the only area the A model
    falls behind is during calibrations where the later models have been modified
    for a quicker calibration...

2. jamato8 Contributor
    The TV 7 A isn't just harder to calibrate but also not made as well. This is from the premier TV 7 technician I know in Phoenix. I have calibrated 7's and two testers I couldn't get in line that needed repair beyond my ability, were worked on by him. The one tester he always says to stay away from in the A model. I have played with them and don't like them as well. The later models also have better quality components internally.

3. takezo
    thanks for the correction, john.

4. jamato8 Contributor
    Dan Nelson is the guy you want above anyone in this world for TV7 series testers and all military testers. He has even worked on and calibrated and repaired the TV-2, which is a nightmare to work on. With the repair he has a printout of what he did, the calibration settings and is as honest in his work as anyone could be. He only works on the military testers.

Here is a TV-2 on ebay. They aren't always easy to keep calibrated but they are an interesting tester. If I was settled I might buy this one. It is in excellent cosmetic condition.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Unbelievable-TV-...ayphotohosting

5. wovenhand
    Yargh. If I only had the dough. Guy selling it seems to know his business. Nice of him to include new capacitors too. The shipping costs for this would be quite insane for me living in Europe though. Damn.

6. takezo
    buying from the states will cost you a small fortune in shipping fees.
    cheapest tracking method is $125 for a tv7-du which weighs 22 lbs. (10kg)
    using ups or fedex will run you into the $300+ figure for the same
    item...

7. Spareribs
    In the old days, I think drug stores had tube testers for the public. It would be great if there such a service today for our tube amps.

8. jamato8 Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    In the old days, I think drug stores had tube testers for the public. It would be great if there such a service today for our tube amps.

Yes, but those testers were emission type and weren't good for the tubes. They told you nothing.

9. jamato8 Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wovenhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Yargh. If I only had the dough. Guy selling it seems to know his business. Nice of him to include new capacitors too. The shipping costs for this would be quite insane for me living in Europe though. Damn.

You have the AVO in Europe, which is an excellent tester. Do some reading up on it and see you can find one there. Most of them test at actual voltages, which is better than most all of the Hickoks and others. they are very fine. They aren't cheap but it might be better than buying from the states and a better unit in ways. For small tubes though, the Hickok and TV series will be fine and do everything you need. The AVO is a great tester for power tubes like the 6550, KT88, EL34 and so on.

10. Orcin Contributor
  11. jamato8 Contributor
    I don't know but I wouldn't pay that for either one.

12. musicmind
    x2, you can get NOS 1950s 5u4g for around 20$ I think.
    I haven't heard the expensive metal base gz34 and 274B yet, but the Raytheon 1950s 5u4g I recently got is one of the best sounding tubes I have tried so far.

13. takezo
    i've been using the gz32 recently and it sounds so much better
    than i remember it being prior to john's pdps mod...

14. Orcin Contributor
    Ok, thanks for the price check! I'll keep looking.

15. jamato8 Contributor
    The problem with some of these INFLATED tube prices is that some people don't realize they are way over priced, buy them and there goes the market. It pisses me off because most of the time the seller knows that some will bite at the price on a tube they most likely got for 5 dollars or less. 15 or 20 dollars for the tube is fair. The same was done for the GZ34 metal base. There was an asking price of 400 which everyone was laughing at but they kept seeing it and some bought and now the price nears there all the time. Are there few metal base left? NO but they inflated the price and now people who just want to enjoy the tube get screwed. Greed.

First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Next

Last