WA2 purchase; upgrades worth the $$$?
Feb 2, 2010 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Modena

Head-Fier
Parts upgrade:
Premium parts upgrade package. $400
We carefully selected the best possible audiophile graded parts that bring the ultimate performance from the amplifier. Parts upgrade are intended for amplifier purchase, not to be sold on a standalone basis.
  1. Blackgate output coupling capacitors, 220u/100v
  2. Blackgate voltage filtering capacitors, Power Tank 220uf/200V

Also, the stepped attenuator; $200?

Thoughts veeeeery much appreciated.
redface.gif

Feb 2, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #2 of 17
I'm a huge fan of stepped attenuators! Even the best pots (read: RK50) do not give the same level of channel balance, and I've always felt that running the signal through a pair of resistors was better than through two hunks of grinding resistive material.

Blackgate outputs might be a nice upgrade, however using them in the power supply never made an ounce of sense to me - their ESR was never published, and their ripple levels are higher than good quality "standard" capacitors

Feb 3, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #6 of 17
Premium parts upgrade package. $400 and the stepped attenuator; $200. To me those are logical and best options. Lucky upgrades for W2 are cheap.

Feb 3, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #7 of 17
definately on the stepped attenuator. Not sure about the blackgates, it depends what series they are. If they are standard series, that's a pretty cheap cap. probably 20-30$ at most.

Feb 3, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they are standard series, that's a pretty cheap cap. probably 20-30$ at most.

Agree

Feb 3, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #9 of 17
Change of plans;

doing the WA5, with Premium Parts (the $1,000 upgrade). Here's why; looks like I can get the stepped attenuator and sub-out on it. All there, and still keeping within the space guidelines and not popping above $5k.

Dec 10, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #10 of 17
Hi!

Just ordered a WA2 - but then the upgrade monster caught me last night and I started wondering - should I ask Jack for parts upgrades? Or save the money for tubes?

Thanks

Here's the deal: 

Parts upgrade:
Premium parts upgrade package.
 $400

We carefully selected the best possible audiophile graded parts that bring the ultimate performance from the amplifier. Parts upgrade are intended for amplifier purchase, not to be sold on a standalone basis.

pixel.gif

Attenuator upgrade:
DACT CT2 stepped attenuator.
 $215

24-position, high accuracy and reliability

pixel.gif

Teflon tube sockets upgrade: 
$150 (9-pin x4, 8-pin x2)
Teflon is a superior material with great isolation and tempreture endurance. The unique design of multiple pin contact area greatly increase connectivity and gripping. Pins are gold-plated over oxygen free copper.

Dec 10, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #11 of 17

Quote:
Hi!

Just ordered a WA2 - but then the upgrade monster caught me last night and I started wondering - should I ask Jack for parts upgrades? Or save the money for tubes?

Thanks

Here's the deal: 

Parts upgrade:
 $400

pixel.gif

Attenuator upgrade:
 $215

pixel.gif

Teflon is a superior material with great isolation and tempreture endurance. The unique design of multiple pin contact area greatly increase connectivity and gripping. Pins are gold-plated over oxygen free copper.

Hi!
I had the same dilemma 6 months ago and i opted with blackgates only because:
-it's very hard to swap them by yourself and expensive if you want to upgrade them latter on,
-they give woo a bit better bas performance resolution and even with them it somewhat lacks punch especially with low ohm cans,
-you can find cheaper attenuator out there like goldpoint and swapping it is a lot easier,
-you can buy tubes anytime and its easy to replace them in the amp,
As for tube sockets i recommend to save the money and sped it on tubes or power cord for woo.
Hope this helps.

Dec 10, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #12 of 17

Quote:
Hi!

Thanks

Here's the deal: 

Parts upgrade:
 $400

pixel.gif

Attenuator upgrade:
 $215

pixel.gif

Hi!
I had the same dilemma 6 months ago and i opted with blackgates only because:
-it's very hard to swap them by yourself and expensive if you want to upgrade them latter on,
-they give woo a bit better bas performance resolution and even with them it somewhat lacks punch especially with low ohm cans,
-you can find cheaper attenuator out there like goldpoint and swapping it is a lot easier,
-you can buy tubes anytime and its easy to replace them in the amp,
As for tube sockets i recommend to save the money and sped it on tubes or power cord for woo.
Hope this helps.

Dec 10, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #13 of 17
Sorry for double post...

Dec 12, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #14 of 17
As a WA2 user, if i have the chance to choose again, i will do the following upgrade

Attenuator upgrade
Teflon tube sockets upgrade

bos these 2 are impossible to be upgraded later once the amp have been built. Jack accepts "return" upgrades, but additional labor charge needed. EXCEPT the Teflon tube sockets upgrade, as this needs to disassemble all the parts and rebuild it.

Dec 12, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #15 of 17
This is what I'm weighing up at the moment. Once you throw in all the upgrades you aren't far from a WA22. So even if you aren't wanting a balanced setup straight away, you might as well go for it as it has a SE output right? Anyone want to weigh in with personal experience of the WA2, WA2 maxed out, and the WA22? It will pretty much be solely for HD600's w/ cardas with a view to maybe HD800's down the track. 

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back