W4 versus UE900
Nov 14, 2012 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

Spyro

Headphoneus Supremus
Still no dedicated thread yet?  From tidbits I have read....

W4 has more bass, better midrange and a little bit overall better clarity.  Is this accurate?

I'm not reading many criteria where UE900 is better.

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #2 of 59
I have not heard either, but I am thinking of buying the UE900 because from their past models, UE seemed to have high build quality (TF10 vs UM3x). Also, W4 is a bit more expensive. Overall, I think UE900 is quite well designed. But, I found some links that might help you:
http://www.headfonia.com/thoughts-on-the-ultimate-ears-ue900/
http://rinchoi.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/ultimate-ears-part3-in-depth-analysis.html

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #3 of 59
Quote:
Still no dedicated thread yet?  From tidbits I have read....

W4 has more bass, better midrange and a little bit overall better clarity.  Is this accurate?

I'm not reading many criteria where UE900 is better.

The W4 is overall better.  However, the UE 900 offers better clarity in the midrange, but loses out on vocal dynamic and lushness (which the W4 does beautifully).  The W4 does have more bass and depth.  I did a full comparison between the W4 and UE 900, it's available here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/624973/ultimate-ears-ue-900-discussion-and-appreciation-thread/420#post_8686087

Quote:
I have not heard either, but I am thinking of buying the UE900 because from their past models, UE seemed to have high build quality (TF10 vs UM3x). Also, W4 is a bit more expensive. Overall, I think UE900 is quite well designed. But, I found some links that might help you:
http://www.headfonia.com/thoughts-on-the-ultimate-ears-ue900/
http://rinchoi.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/ultimate-ears-part3-in-depth-analysis.html

The W4 is actually cheaper than the UE 900 is today, it can be found around 350 regularly since it's an older product.  MSRP-wise, yes, the 4s are more expensive. 

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #4 of 59
Quote:
The W4 is actually cheaper than the UE 900 is today, it can be found around 350 regularly since it's an older product.  MSRP-wise, yes, the 4s are more expensive. 

Well, that depends where you live. I was actually comparing the removable cable version.

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #5 of 59
Quote:

Well, that depends where you live. I was actually comparing the removable cable version.

W4R is basically a relaunch of the W4 with removeable cables.  The regular 4 is the one that is cheaper :p  If you are talking about the 'R' model, it's really only more expensive because it is newer (which is why I'd recommend the 4 over the 4R; unless you really need the removeable cable).

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #6 of 59
The W4 does have more bass and depth.  [/URL]

W4 has more bass,

That is a shocker. I was really looking forward to possibly owing one in the not too distant future.... it seems my enthusiasm has been somewhat curbed.....

Anything less than the W4's bass capabilities would be, to me, less than natural.

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #7 of 59
Quote:
That is a shocker. I was really looking forward to possibly owing one in the not too distant future.... it seems my enthusiasm has been somewhat curbed.....
Anything less than the W4's bass capabilities would be, to me, less than natural.

And this is where preference plays huge rolls :p  What is natural will vary person to person :wink:  Preference will make bigger impacts in our purchases over anything else. 

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #8 of 59
And this is where preference plays huge rolls :p  What is natural will vary person to person :wink:  Preference will make bigger impacts in our purchases over anything else. 

And you are posting that people buy things that they prefer? Thank you for educating me in the matter. :p

I am more surprised that Logitech went that route with that IEM. Especially an IEM that comes with a cable for iphone, ipod I would think would be a more consumer friendly sound with at least a little bass emphasis.

I am still looking forward to trying them. But now that I know they are thin in comparison to the W4, they are not on my short list of next purchases. Thanks for the info.

Nov 14, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #9 of 59
I've been listening to the 900's exclusively for ~3 days, and while I have not heard the W4, I'll throw in my 2 cents and say that the bass presence on the 900's is a bit underwhelming. In fact, this is one of the first things I noticed when I started listening to them. I 100% agree with tinyman when he says that the clarity of the midrange on these are good, though. Vocals are an absolute treat to listen to on these. 

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #10 of 59
Quote:
And you are posting that people buy things that they prefer? Thank you for educating me in the matter.
tongue.gif
I am more surprised that Logitech went that route with that IEM. Especially an IEM that comes with a cable for iphone, ipod I would think would be a more consumer friendly sound with at least a little bass emphasis.
I am still looking forward to trying them. But now that I know they are thin in comparison to the W4, they are not on my short list of next purchases. Thanks for the info.

A lot of bashing could be fixed if people were buying things they preferred :p  So yes, I'm making the statement that people should base their purchases on what they prefer, not what is said to be technically better :p

You'll be surprised how many people can listen to a balanced IEM.  Actually, people do have a sense of knowing that bass isn't everything.  It's just that a lot are brainwashed into thinking bass is everything (pushed by media and advertising).  When you do ask what is better, people tend to walk away from the big bodied bass that is bloated.  UE is basically showing people a better representation of (more) neutral audio.  I think it's a good thing.  And there is actually a small bass emphasis on the 900s :p  Small as in tiny...  3, maybe 4 dB up (to my ears anyways), not much more though. 

Do eventually give them a try.  I wouldn't call these thin, an Etymotic is thin :p  A lot of users have reported that these give a strong thump (although I don't agree, there are a few that have this opinion on them). 

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #11 of 59
And there is actually a small bass emphasis on the 900s :p  Small as in tiny...  3, maybe 4 dB up (to my ears anyways), not much more though.

So by that logic you would consider the W4 to have +5 or +6db bass emphasis? I would have to differ. My ears don't hear even remote emphasis on bass with the W4.  
Do eventually give them a try.  I wouldn't call these thin, an Etymotic is thin :p  A lot of users have reported that these give a strong thump (although I don't agree, there are a few that have this opinion on them). 

Oh I will try them for sure at some point. So they fall somewhere between an Ety and W4 in terms of body is what you are basically saying I guess?

I guess being very happy with the W4 as my more neutral sounding IEM, I am not in as much as a hurry to try them but I do appreciate the info.

If anything they are the coolest looking UIEM out there IMO you can grant them that.

P.S...... :p (had to do that since you do it 2X per paragraph) :beyersmile:

Nov 15, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #12 of 59
Quote:
So by that logic you would consider the W4 to have +5 or +6db bass emphasis? I would have to differ. My ears don't hear even remote emphasis on bass with the W4.  
Oh I will try them for sure at some point. So they fall somewhere between an Ety and W4 in terms of body is what you are basically saying I guess?
I guess being very happy with the W4 as my more neutral sounding IEM, I am not in as much as a hurry to try them but I do appreciate the info.
If anything they are the coolest looking UIEM out there IMO you can grant them that.
P.S......
tongue.gif
(had to do that since you do it 2X per paragraph)
beyersmile.png

Yes, I do hear a 5 dB emphasis on the midbass of the W4R.  You are free to differ though :p 

And yes, they do fall somewhere between Etymotic (HF5) and W4.  Actually, I would go further and say Brainwavz B2 (to me had more quantity than the HF5) and W4.  Just FYI, I do hear the Etymotic HF5 with a 2dB peak in the midbass (so this should explain the bass-heavy idea :p). 

Nov 15, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #14 of 59
I have both an one thing that the UE900 does much better than the W4 is stringed instruments. It's real easy to pick out the 'twang' of every strum. Very realistic with the UE900.

Nov 15, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #15 of 59
Quote:

This seems like stating the obvious but really an important statement.

I have owned all Westone universals except UM1 and to me it seems Westone is always very aware of making sure their IEM's have sufficient bass or bass impact.   UM2, W3, UM3X and W4 to a certain extent all have ample "weight" to the bass and they don't distort!.  For anyone finding the W4 bass lite...I am using "jazz" eq setting on Ipod Classic which just slightly tips the bass and treble upwards.  Some of you may cringe at this premise but I think it adds some excitement to the presentation without screwing anything up. 

Hard to imagine UE900 vocals being even better!  Just listened to the entire Diane Krall, Live in Paris (superbly recorded cd!) and was mesmerized even though I have played it 50-60 times previous.  It was better than being their live...no kidding either.

W4 is the only universal in my signature that is clearly a step up from my JH5 which is saying a lot.  But this goes back to personal preferences too. 
I appreciate all the comments and contributions on this thread.  Good stuff.  I think, I too, would have to take UE900 off my short list of future purchases even though I'd still love to try it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back