W3 or SE530 for bass (hip-hop, etc) closest to DT770 sound?
Dec 28, 2008 at 7:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

frankthetank

New Head-Fier
Hey all,
this is my first post on this forum but Ive been reading it heavily for the past months, researching phones that would meet my needs. The music I listen is mostly hip-hop/electronica/trip-hop (but also stuff like rage, chili peppers, reggae, jazz etc.) I am VERY much into bass, that is a lot of it, deep, hard hitting, textured and low. I recently got a pair of DT770 Pro 80s and listened to them for 10 hours after bringing them home (their awesome!). So Im stuck between the flavor of the day, being the W3's or the Shure 530s. Which set do you guys think would sound closest to my 770's (I know its impossible, but as far as low end and overall sound signature, generally speaking)? I know its lame of me to ask for help on this, but its not like I havent dont my homework reading the comparisions, I have. I just want to get some first hand advice. From what I can tell the W3 is better for bass than the shures, but its mids are somewhat lacking/recessed, which seems acceptable to me (IF its bass is really that much better than the shures).
Cheers--
Frank-

P.S. I rule out the super.fi 5 EB as Ive had problems with UE in the past. I also hear bass is good on the X10s and the atrios, but I really am more interested in either the SE530 or the W3's.

Dec 28, 2008 at 7:35 AM Post #3 of 43
W3 wins for electronica and bass heavy music anyday IMO and I love my shures

Dec 28, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #4 of 43
The DT770 Pro 80 is my headphone of choice also. The W3 is the closest I have heard yet to the DT770 in an IEM. Not quite as good, but getting close. As with any IEM, the sound is highly dependent on the tip. The W3 seems to sound best with Comply tips. They bring out the bass, but tend to dampen the high frequencies, especially if you have smaller ear canals. I get good results with the slim fit Comply tips, though because of the W3's short sound tube, I have to use spacers to make them go far enough into my ears. So, provided that you can get a good fit, the W3 provides a very acceptable portable alternative to the DT770. I haven't heard the SE530 but from what I've read it is more forward in the mids, therefore less like the DT770.

Dec 28, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #6 of 43
Say what? The W3 is not better than the 770? You are nuts. The 770 is all bass. The W3 at least has something called midrange which the 770 is completely without in comparison.

Do not think that you have more experience with 770s either lol. I have had every model including the Darths from V1 to V3, deeps, deep opens even. Darths are a big improvement over the 770 with the Deeps probably being the best and V3 second.

Anyway, the W3 or Futuresonics Atrio is what you want. I have the atrio and it has the deepest bass of any iem I have heard. It also has balance which is great. Maybe the atrio with custom molds? That is how I would spend my $$ today.

Dec 28, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #7 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by frankthetank /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bass, that is a lot of it, deep, hard hitting, textured and low.

= IE8, plus you can tune the bass quantity.

Dec 28, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #10 of 43
Thanks you fellas so much for weighing in. I have heard of the IE8s and they seem to be pretty favored as well. Im gonna start looking at the IE8s but if any of you can shed any more light on them in comparision to the W3s I would appreciate it. You say the bass is better than the W3, but by how much? Does it blow the W3 out of the water in this department? And how does the other ranges compare. Ive been looking at the W3s since they were a rumor and pretty much dream of them, but if the IE8 is that much better at bass and sounds closer to something like my DT770s, than Ill go with them.

Dec 28, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #11 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Say what? The W3 is not better than the 770? You are nuts. The 770 is all bass. The W3 at least has something called midrange which the 770 is completely without in comparison.

Actually the DT770 is very well balanced for listening at lower levels. Ever heard of Fletcher-Munsen curves? I admit that if you want to pump it out then DT770 will probably be too bassy. To say it is completely without mids is ridiculous, however.

Quote:

Do not think that you have more experience with 770s either

Did I say anything to that effect?
confused.gif

Quote:

I have had every model including the Darths from V1 to V3, deeps, deep opens even. Darths are a big improvement over the 770 with the Deeps probably being the best and V3 second.

You slag off the DT770 for being "all bass" and "completely without midrange" but you seem to be its number one fan
wink.gif

Dec 28, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #12 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar
BTW, the SE530 is anything but a basshead can... just stay away from it if bass is your priority.

While I agree it's not a basshead can, I couldn't disagree more with the premise that you should stay away from them if bass is a priority, simply because you value quality bass doesn't make you a basshead.

I've never listened to the W3's or IE8's so I can't comment on them. That being said my listening preference is rap/hip-hop/metal, I moved from Shure E5's to SE530's, the E5's were known for their bass response in the IEM world, while the 530's overall sound signature is not as bass dominant as the E5's was, their extension and impact is improved.

I can't say if there's "more bass" than either the W3's or IE8's but I will say rap sounds fantastic (to me) on these IEM's, personally I'm not really sure how much "more bass" I would want...a friend of mine has a set of DT770's on the way, I'm looking forward to spending some time listening to 'em when they arrive.

Dec 28, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #13 of 43
So far I've seen that the IE8s are better for classical music and are better at presenting a "smoother" sound? And they seem to have a larger soundstage? However, the comfort and cabling of the W3s seems better (maybe) and it seems to be more "engaging" and "in your face" (which I would prefer). People say the IE8s give a more accurate musical representation, whereas the W3 is more fun to listen to (Im looking for enjoyment, like I get from my 770s, not nessisarily exact sound replication). Also whereas the IE8 do have a tunable bass level (which seems like a gimick to me) the W3s seem to be more responsive to EQ'ing (presumably because of the crossovers they contain). Anybody have any other opinions on the IE8s bass and overall sound quality in contrast to the W3?

I was really interested in the W3s because of all the hype Ive read (I know...it is just hype). Ive seen people who bought the IE8s and then found out the W3s were to be released and were regretful that they didnt wait and get the W3 (that, to me, shows how potentially bad ass the W3s can be).

Dec 29, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #14 of 43
Cable on the IE8 is amazing, light and flexible with no microphonics, and user replaceable. I've never heard the w3s, but the bass on the IE8 sounds pretty damn good, and the soundstage is lifechanging.

Dec 29, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by frankthetank /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So far I've seen that the IE8s are better for classical music and are better at presenting a "smoother" sound? And they seem to have a larger soundstage? However, the comfort and cabling of the W3s seems better (maybe) and it seems to be more "engaging" and "in your face" (which I would prefer). People say the IE8s give a more accurate musical representation, whereas the W3 is more fun to listen to (Im looking for enjoyment, like I get from my 770s, not nessisarily exact sound replication). Also whereas the IE8 do have a tunable bass level (which seems like a gimick to me) the W3s seem to be more responsive to EQ'ing (presumably because of the crossovers they contain). Anybody have any other opinions on the IE8s bass and overall sound quality in contrast to the W3?

I was really interested in the W3s because of all the hype Ive read (I know...it is just hype). Ive seen people who bought the IE8s and then found out the W3s were to be released and were regretful that they didnt wait and get the W3 (that, to me, shows how potentially bad ass the W3s can be).

if your heart is so set on getting the W3 why even bother with this thread? you obviously want the W3, you even said you have been dreaming about them since their rumor began, so just get them and be done with it. i see this thread as being pointless since everytime someone recommends an IEM, you go back to your wanting for the W3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back