W1000 + Amp/Dac OR unamped AD2000?
Feb 11, 2008 at 8:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Vault

100+ Head-Fier
So I've been looking at a few different combinations of cans and I think I have narrowed it down to either the Audio Technica W1000 with an amp/dac like the iBasso OR going unamped and getting the AD2000.

Anyone got any experience with either the W1000 and what it takes to amp it or used the AD2000 unamped?

I'll be listening to these out of my Lenovo T61 and listening to a selection of music, but mainly being concerned with electronica and alternative.

My biggest concerns are:

- From what I've read the W1000's aren't overly popular and they may need a well matched amp to shine.

- Would I be better off going with the AD900/1000 if I'm going ampless out of my laptop.

Feb 11, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #3 of 17
AD2000 would be the way to go IMO. It shines with electronic, and is a large step up (definately) from the W1000.

Works well unamped (so Ive heard), some even go as far to say that in some ways its better than the W5000. I can see the attraction to the W1000 however, its a woody afterall (and closed).

Try the AD2000 if you can.

Feb 11, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortalcoil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AD2000 would be the way to go IMO. It shines with electronic, and is a large step up (definately) from the W1000.

Works well unamped (so Ive heard), some even go as far to say that in some ways its better than the W5000. I can see the attraction to the W1000 however, its a woody afterall (and closed).

Try the AD2000 if you can.

Some have said the senn hd580 is better than the hd650, or the w5000 is better than the L3000, the rs1 better than the hp1000, etc. That doesn't mean they actually are, it most likely is due to preferences.
smily_headphones1.gif

To the OP, I would say to get a dac/amp with either can as it will allow the headphone to sound as good as it was meant to. What is your price limit?

Feb 11, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #6 of 17
The W1000 sounds great unamped and the AD2000 for sure isnt a "large step up", but it does some things better as the W1000.
I would say the W1000 sounds better unamped as it doesnt scale up as much as the AD2k does. To bring out the AD2ks airyness you need a good source + amp, the W1000 doesn't offer much more being properly amped vs unamped. You either like how it sounds or not. So basically not much advise can be given but you should try to listen to both
wink.gif

Feb 11, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

I would say to get a dac/amp with either can as it will allow the headphone to sound as good as it was meant to. What is your price limit?

Good line of thinking here. Is this going to be a one-time purchase, or will you be spending more as time goes on? You might want to get the best phone you can afford now, and get an amp/dac later.

Feb 11, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #8 of 17
Meh, an opinion: I prefer AD2000 unamped to W1000 (with whatever amp/dac you can get within the price difference) entirely for use with electronic music.

Feb 12, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #9 of 17
Hello, just received my W1000 this morning and after just a day's listen I can say that it is totally unsuitable for electronic music. It is a great headphone for acoustic sort of music (strings sound AMAZING on these, so does acoustic guitar). It has a quality that compliments the timbre of stringed instruments (guitar, piano, strings, etc).

Would consider the AD2000, but audition them yourself
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2008 at 10:33 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by onvn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would consider the AD2000, but audition them yourself
smily_headphones1.gif

Onvn and all, thanks for your comments and taking the time to respond. Really appreciate that. As electronica is one of my more favoured music tastes I'll probably steer clear of the W1000 for now. Sounds like they are still a brilliant set of cans for classical and accustic though. Perhaps when the budget stretches I'll consider them as a 2nd set of headphones.

I'm probably looking at about $300 for the amp/DAC. Not much I know, but as I'll be driving it out of my laptop I'd rather spend good money on cans now and go for a full source/amp setup at a much later date. So far considering the iBasso or Fubar III as they are easy to find here.

So that leaves the AD2000 or perhaps the A900Ti if I want to go closed I guess
biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2008 at 11:59 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by onvn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello, just received my W1000 this morning and after just a day's listen...

Are you sure that they will sound the same after a few hours of listening? My HD580s sure changed after some hours (quite a few actually) of usage. But maybe the W1000 is different.

Feb 12, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vault /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Onvn and all, thanks for your comments and taking the time to respond. Really appreciate that. As electronica is one of my more favoured music tastes I'll probably steer clear of the W1000 for now. Sounds like they are still a brilliant set of cans for classical and accustic though. Perhaps when the budget stretches I'll consider them as a 2nd set of headphones.

I'm probably looking at about $300 for the amp/DAC. Not much I know, but as I'll be driving it out of my laptop I'd rather spend good money on cans now and go for a full source/amp setup at a much later date. So far considering the iBasso or Fubar III as they are easy to find here.

So that leaves the AD2000 or perhaps the A900Ti if I want to go closed I guess
biggrin.gif

In that case I'd grab the ad2000 and a go-vibe petite amp/usb dac. It is $195 and should take care of your basic needs for now.

Feb 12, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure that they will sound the same after a few hours of listening? My HD580s sure changed after some hours (quite a few actually) of usage. But maybe the W1000 is different.

I don't know if there is a huge difference between W1000 burned-in and one that's not. I bought used so it's basically burned-in. On the other hand, I am not a great believer of burn in -- I am still a skeptic
biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In that case I'd grab the ad2000 and a go-vibe petite amp/usb dac. It is $195 and should take care of your basic needs for now.

Thanks. I didn't have the go-vibe on the list to check out. Looks like a solid little unit.

Feb 12, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #15 of 17
In my opinion the AD2k sucks for electronica just as much as the W1000. Its not really the no1 genre for both. I'd look into another companies product unless you want to get the W5000 which is great for electronica due to impressive soundstage & layering which is very involving with that genre. Also the slighty off timbre with the W5000 won't matter with electronica as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back