W key on laptop keyboard "broken"?
Jul 2, 2014 at 9:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

slayerming2

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys

So I have a asus gaming laptop that I have a few problems with. So basically I guess through holding and pressing the W key on my laptop's keyboard a lot it has became "broken" I guess. It makes a loud sound when I press it and is not as responsive. Is there anyway I can fix this? 
Thanks!

Jul 2, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #2 of 3
Sometimes a small piece of debris can become lodged under the key that prevents the key from depressing the switch correctly. Keys can usually be removed, then the area underneath can be cleaned or blown out with canned air. Try using a thin blade to get under the key, then gently but firmly pry up the key. It should eventually pop up and allow you to see and clean under it. To replace the key, apply even pressure and push down until it snaps back into place.

Hope this helps...

Jul 2, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #3 of 3
Depending on the model, you might be able to find a replacement keyboard online. Of course, that means you need to take the laptop apart (or at least the keyboard apart) to replace it.

Alternatively, get an external keyboard.

p/s: before doing any of that, better make sure it is indeed broken. Pry the key up and see if anything stuck underneath.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back