VZR Model One
Jan 22, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #302 of 428
I have to start my VZR One review with a disclaimer that I'm comparing it to headphones that are well above the VZR's price range. The dynamic driver Denon D9200 at $1600 and the planar Hifiman Arya Stealth at $1300. I bought the VZR due to its novel audio lens solution and mic, to see if it could give me something for gaming that the more expensive headphones can't. This disparity makes for an unfair comparison. I've been using the Arya and D9200 for a while now with an RME ADI-2 DAC FS. That's my reference point for sound.

I do also use a Steelseries 7X for gaming which clocked in a lot cheaper than the VZR's $350 at $150 ($90 at the time of writing since it's the older model). I don't use them for music, only for gaming.

Good
  • Solid build quality and comes in a nice case
  • Comes with a full set of attachments, a 4.5ft cable, 3.2ft TRRS extension cable, and an 8 inch mic splitter, all nylon weave sheathed, lightweight and flexible
  • If you like bass the VZR has plenty in its default tuning and then some
  • The one-size-fits-all stretchy strap worked well for me
  • Despite the weight, the VZR does not feel heavy on my head
  • Removes background noise with excellent isolation
  • Easy to power, with plenty of volume even if you plug it into a PS5 controller
  • Mic worked well on PC, PS5 and through the Soundblaster G6 amp. You will want it close to your mouth. Drop off for the mic is fast per inch.
  • Amazing tech support. I had a config issue and got a friendly same day reply via email

No so good
  • The mids are hollowed out/veiled and the highs lack detail without EQ intervention
  • VZR has uncomfortably hot earpads which heat up fast. Hotter than the D9200 which is livable while the Arya and the 7X stay nice and cool.
  • The clamp force was a bit strong for me
  • Metal headphone brace and cables are microphonic

Music sound impressions

Listening to music flat on both the ADI-2 or onboard audio, the VZR sounds bass heavy and muddy. The mids have a sound that is hollow and missing detail and the highs do not present a sparkle without EQing them up. There is a distinct lack of timbre caused by the odd mids and highs. The VZR doesn't come close to the retrieval and clarity of the D9200 or Arya Stealth. Swapping between them on the same tracks reveals a vast difference in clarity and detail retrieval.

So what about the main attraction? Soundstage. I found it similar in spaciousness to the D9200 but less spacious than the Arya Stealth. That means it has quite a good soundstage for a closed back dynamic driver.

I did try to EQ the VZR but couldn't get rid of the hollowness in the mids, perhaps others can do better at an EQ profile that can address what is missing.

Gaming sound impressions

I used both the PC and PS5 to test, and my experiences were the same across the two platforms.

The qualities heard in music translate to games as well. Games feel less immersive than they do on the D9200 and Arya Stealth as there is simply too much missing detail, crispness and clarity. The stock tuning has strong bass which does not sound out of control, but the hollow mids and lacking highs can make it come off boomy sometimes. It feels out of balance to me, as if the mids and highs are veiled behind something. I have to think it could be because they are literally veiled behind the audio lens.

I pressed the phones in towards my ears and noticed a slight rise in mids and highs, but not much. This is likely due to the slot in the lens aligning with your ear canal differently when you press the headphones towards your ears.

If you plug the VZR directly into the PS5 controller the mic works great but you are stuck with the stock tuning. Used this way, there was too much bass for me and no way to tame it. Unfortunately Sony only enables their graphic EQ if you plug in their PS5 headphones, so there is no changing it. If you plan to use them plugged into the controller without an EQ solution, make sure you're a bass lover.

Engaging Dolby Atmos for Headphones is where I was really hoping to see these shine. For my ear, the directional location of sounds is better on the VZR than the Arya Stealth, but worse than the D9200 and about the same as the 7X. The Arya has a wider soundstage, but lacks directionality when gaming. With any of them, I can spin my in-game character around with my eyes closed, then point my character at a sound source and know exactly where it is going to be when I open my eyes. This is easiest for me on the D9200.

Ambient Atmos effects are in another class on the D9200 due to the detail retrieval, stellar timbre and soundstaging. In Destiny 2, I can hear the spaciousness in Atmos environments, with all the subtle little computer beeps, chirps, clicks and whirrs in the distance. The environment is alive with spatial subtlety. On the VZR, this is missing because detail in the mids and highs is missing, which results in a substantial loss of immersion. This is also true when weighed against the 7X. The added detail in the mids and highs on the 7X adds to the immersion.

So what gives? I'm a bit flummoxed as I was hoping to hear something novel. I didn't hear a marked improvement in spatial accuracy compared to the D9200 or 7X. I have to guess it's possible that the lens in the VZR may be great for some ear shapes and not for others. Given the great reviews the VZR has gotten from other people, this should be considered.

Other notes some might find useful when using this headphone
  • If you're looking at amps, the Soundblaster G6 is useless on a PC, so don't buy it for this headphone for PC gaming. Dolby doesn't get picked up by the G6 even if you are using SPDIF (optical). The mic input on the G6 will not work when the G6 is in direct (passthrough) mode. So if you're hoping for PC spatial gaming audio from the G6, you're out of luck. As far as Dolby goes, the G6 is good for Playstation and Xbox Dolby use cases but not PC. Even if the G6 could do Dolby on a PC, it can't do Dolby Atmos, so… yeah, you probably don't want a G6 for PC use.

• The RME ADI-2 DAC FS doesn't support passthrough mode to use only the amp and not the DAC. This means it can't be used for Dolby Atmos for Headphones. You're relegated to on-board PC audio if you want to use Dolby Atmos for Headphones. This is likely true for most DAC-amps. On the upside, the VZR aren't power hungry. On-board audio was clean and powerful sounding. This will also grant you access to DTS Headphone:X, DTS X:Ultra and Windows Sonic should you want them.
Final thoughts

For their price these have great bass and make for some pretty good console gaming cans for bass lovers. I don't think they are good for listening to music any more than the 7X are. You'll simply miss too much detail. The 7X has the opposite problem from the VZR, with better mids and highs but lacking bass and body.

At the lower price points, if you told me I could only keep the 7X or VZR for gaming, I'd keep the 7X. I can EQ up the bass on it and I can hear the mids and highs without the veiling. They are also lighter and more comfortable. For now my D9200 are my solo gaming cans of choice, and the 7X are a necessity for multiplayer due to the mic and easy plug and play + EQ on any platform.

Looking forward to seeing what VZR does next and if they can evolve the lens to improve the mids and highs.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #303 of 428
I have to start my VZR One review with a disclaimer that I'm comparing it to headphones that are well above the VZR's price range. The dynamic driver Denon D9200 at $1600 and the planar Hifiman Arya Stealth at $1300. I bought the VZR due to its novel audio lens solution and mic, to see if it could give me something for gaming that the more expensive headphones can't. This disparity makes for an unfair comparison. I've been using the Arya and D9200 for a while now with an RME ADI-2 DAC FS. That's my reference point for sound.

I do also use a Steelseries 7X for gaming which clocked in a lot cheaper than the VZR's $350 at $150 ($90 at the time of writing since it's the older model). I don't use them for music, only for gaming.

Good
  • Solid build quality and comes in a nice case
  • Comes with a full set of attachments, a 4.5ft cable, 3.2ft TRRS extension cable, and an 8 inch mic splitter, all nylon weave sheathed, lightweight and flexible
  • If you like bass the VZR has plenty in its default tuning and then some
  • The one-size-fits-all stretchy strap worked well for me
  • Despite the weight, the VZR does not feel heavy on my head
  • Removes background noise with excellent isolation
  • Easy to power, with plenty of volume even if you plug it into a PS5 controller
  • Mic worked well on PC, PS5 and through the Soundblaster G6 amp. You will want it close to your mouth. Drop off for the mic is fast per inch.
  • Amazing tech support. I had a config issue and got a friendly same day reply via email

No so good
  • The mids are hollowed out/veiled and the highs lack detail without EQ intervention
  • VZR has uncomfortably hot earpads which heat up fast. Hotter than the D9200 which is livable while the Arya and the 7X stay nice and cool.
  • The clamp force was a bit strong for me
  • Metal headphone brace and cables are microphonic

Music sound impressions

Listening to music flat on both the ADI-2 or onboard audio, the VZR sounds bass heavy and muddy. The mids have a sound that is hollow and missing detail and the highs do not present a sparkle without EQing them up. There is a distinct lack of timbre caused by the odd mids and highs. The VZR doesn't come close to the retrieval and clarity of the D9200 or Arya Stealth. Swapping between them on the same tracks reveals a vast difference in clarity and detail retrieval.

So what about the main attraction? Soundstage. I found it similar in spaciousness to the D9200 but less spacious than the Arya Stealth. That means it has quite a good soundstage for a closed back dynamic driver.

I did try to EQ the VZR but couldn't get rid of the hollowness in the mids, perhaps others can do better at an EQ profile that can address what is missing.

Gaming sound impressions

I used both the PC and PS5 to test, and my experiences were the same across the two platforms.

The qualities heard in music translate to games as well. Games feel less immersive than they do on the D9200 and Arya Stealth as there is simply too much missing detail, crispness and clarity. The stock tuning has strong bass which does not sound out of control, but the hollow mids and lacking highs can make it come off boomy sometimes. It feels out of balance to me, as if the mids and highs are veiled behind something. I have to think it could be because they are literally veiled behind the audio lens.

I pressed the phones in towards my ears and noticed a slight rise in mids and highs, but not much. This is likely due to the slot in the lens aligning with your ear canal differently when you press the headphones towards your ears.

If you plug the VZR directly into the PS5 controller the mic works great but you are stuck with the stock tuning. Used this way, there was too much bass for me and no way to tame it. Unfortunately Sony only enables their graphic EQ if you plug in their PS5 headphones, so there is no changing it. If you plan to use them plugged into the controller without an EQ solution, make sure you're a bass lover.

Engaging Dolby Atmos for Headphones is where I was really hoping to see these shine. For my ear, the directional location of sounds is better on the VZR than the Arya Stealth, but worse than the D9200 and about the same as the 7X. The Arya has a wider soundstage, but lacks directionality when gaming. With any of them, I can spin my in-game character around with my eyes closed, then point my character at a sound source and know exactly where it is going to be when I open my eyes. This is easiest for me on the D9200.

Ambient Atmos effects are in another class on the D9200 due to the detail retrieval, stellar timbre and soundstaging. In Destiny 2, I can hear the spaciousness in Atmos environments, with all the subtle little computer beeps, chirps, clicks and whirrs in the distance. The environment is alive with spatial subtlety. On the VZR, this is missing because detail in the mids and highs is missing, which results in a substantial loss of immersion. This is also true when weighed against the 7X. The added detail in the mids and highs on the 7X adds to the immersion.

So what gives? I'm a bit flummoxed as I was hoping to hear something novel. I didn't hear a marked improvement in spatial accuracy compared to the D9200 or 7X. I have to guess it's possible that the lens in the VZR may be great for some ear shapes and not for others. Given the great reviews the VZR has gotten from other people, this should be considered.

Other notes some might find useful when using this headphone
  • If you're looking at amps, the Soundblaster G6 is useless on a PC, so don't buy it for this headphone for PC gaming. Dolby doesn't get picked up by the G6 even if you are using SPDIF (optical). The mic input on the G6 will not work when the G6 is in direct (passthrough) mode. So if you're hoping for PC spatial gaming audio from the G6, you're out of luck. As far as Dolby goes, the G6 is good for Playstation and Xbox Dolby use cases but not PC. Even if the G6 could do Dolby on a PC, it can't do Dolby Atmos, so… yeah, you probably don't want a G6 for PC use.

• The RME ADI-2 DAC FS doesn't support passthrough mode to use only the amp and not the DAC. This means it can't be used for Dolby Atmos for Headphones. You're relegated to on-board PC audio if you want to use Dolby Atmos for Headphones. This is likely true for most DAC-amps. On the upside, the VZR aren't power hungry. On-board audio was clean and powerful sounding. This will also grant you access to DTS Headphone:X, DTS X:Ultra and Windows Sonic should you want them.
Final thoughts

For their price these have great bass and make for some pretty good console gaming cans for bass lovers. I don't think they are good for listening to music any more than the 7X are. You'll simply miss too much detail. The 7X has the opposite problem from the VZR, with better mids and highs but lacking bass and body.

At the lower price points, if you told me I could only keep the 7X or VZR for gaming, I'd keep the 7X. I can EQ up the bass on it and I can hear the mids and highs without the veiling. They are also lighter and more comfortable. For now my D9200 are my solo gaming cans of choice, and the 7X are a necessity for multiplayer due to the mic and easy plug and play + EQ on any platform.

Looking forward to seeing what VZR does next and if they can evolve the lens to improve the mids and highs.
sounds like you hear exactly what i hear regarding the mids and bass. i havent heard the 7x but the VZR directionals are better than any other mainstream gaming set i have owned (astro a50, hyperx cloud, corsair void pro) granted they were wireless. to me the bass helps with explosion sounds on games like rust as it seems to make it easier to determine distance of explosions. the d9200 are like 4 times the price so im not sure thats a fair comparison for sound quality lol.

accurate review though.

Jan 22, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #304 of 428
sounds like you hear exactly what i hear regarding the mids and bass. i havent heard the 7x but the VZR directionals are better than any other mainstream gaming set i have owned (astro a50, hyperx cloud, corsair void pro) granted they were wireless. to me the bass helps with explosion sounds on games like rust as it seems to make it easier to determine distance of explosions. the d9200 are like 4 times the price so im not sure thats a fair comparison for sound quality lol.

accurate review though.
Correct. I didn't expect them to outperform the D9200 on sound. I thought they might on directional soundstage though.

I was surprised that I prefer the 7x though at much less money. I prefer their sound as well.

I think I'll try the new Steelseries Nova Pro for Xbox next as it has more of a seal with better bass, and is compatible with all platforms. The feature set on that looks pretty impressive for a wireless gaming headphone.

I really don't know why the VZR isn't more soundstage impressive for me. Must be an ear shape thing or something. I know folks like yourself have a much better experience. There has to be a reason for it.

Edit: My SteelSeries Arctis Nova Pro for Xbox review

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #305 of 428
Uh oh. If there’s a problem with the midrange, nothing else matters, right?
Or maybe I should take a chance using my own ears.

Jan 27, 2023 at 11:30 PM Post #306 of 428
Would be interesting if you elaborated on that, which ones did you use and from what companies, and how do they compare to the stock pads, if you don’t mind?
I used these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X1L287G?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details and also these https://www.modhouseaudio.com/pads/xenon. Neither of them really "fit" properly but sort of stayed on long enough to get an idea of the sound. The first ones caused too much bass to get trapped inside the headphone and caused pressure in the ear canal. Didn't help that they were covering part of the lens as well. The second ones were total miss; to me it sounded like the driver was just too far away. Didn't help that they barely stayed on.

I really don't know why the VZR isn't more soundstage impressive for me. Must be an ear shape thing or something. I know folks like yourself have a much better experience. There has to be a reason for it.
It absolutely is impacted by ear shape. Perceived frequency response is affected by the time domain. Sound can take many paths to enter your ear canal, as well as being impacted by other auricular interactions (sinuses, lungs, bone conduction). Depending on the path a sound took to enter your ear canal as well as the other aforementioned factors, it can change the perceived frequency response (attenuating or boosting certain frequency ranges). Different ears = different paths for sound to take. This is most likely why people have different representations/interpretations of what certain headphones sound like. The variables don't even end there, position of the headphone driver over your ear, pad squish, even mood has the potential to change the listener's perception of what a headphone sounds like. I hold some unpopular audio opinions. Personally, I don't think the HD 800 S sounds very wide. I also think that most headphones that are marketed as "hi-fi" are needlessly tuned with ear-frying levels of high-frequency energy, which tends to make them unsatisfying at low volumes, harsh at high volumes, and overall tiring for your ears. It is what it is. People have preferences. I saw at Can-Jam that VZR is working on some different pads. I didn't listen to them for very long but I remember them primarily having a less bass and a more mid and treble forward presentation. They were actually kind of nice, in a different way. I remember from my conversations with the founders that the idea with the new pads is to change the driver angle against the ear. In the mean-time, I've experimented with rotating the pads compared to the screw on the back of the headphone. The reference is the pad seam aligned with the screw. According to my ears, rotating this seam upwards seems to reduce bass and bring in the mids/treble slightly, and rotating downwards increases the bass. Now, all of my observations could be complete baloney because it takes me a few seconds to rotate the pads, so the comparisons aren't as good because of the time gap. If you still have them, you can give it a shot.

I do think your review is very detailed though and you have good benchmarks for sound quality. I'm also glad you didn't bring up charts and instead focused on what you hear with your ears (the most important thing). I can agree with you that mids and upwards generally sound pushed back, but to my ears, the tonality in vocals is natural. I can understand all the words, hear all the little details in my music, they're just quieter than everything else. In some songs, the vocal/instrumental presentation around your head can be particularly entrancing. Examples: Toxic - Britney Spears, the vocals move convincingly from inside my head to outside back and forth throughout the song, the driving snare has appropriate "slap"; Glamorous - Fergie, if I close my eyes it legit sounds like Fergie is right behind my ear during the chorus; Cruisin' - D'Angelo, all of the percussion just sounds precise and realistic, even though it's superimposed on some very deep bass and soulful vocals; Pennies From Heaven (Live at Carnegie Hall) - Dave Brubeck Quartet, this is one of my favorites, the applause at the beginning and at around 23 seconds in brings a smile to face every time. I've even noticed engineering mistakes in some of my favorite songs with them! I tried EQ'ing the midrange and pretty much anything I do besides bass boosts doesn't sound right on the VZRs. It messes with the soundstage and causes an uncomfortable "pressurized" sensation in my ear canal.

My bad if this reply didn't make sense somewhere, currently have a lot on my plate and cranked this one out. Have a nice day!

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #307 of 428
@KSDKhan made total sense. Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

I'm trying something right now that could benefit VZR users as well as anyone with a wide selection of cans. The Steelseries Sonar Surround software.

I'm currently using Sonar Surround sound to preprocess 3d audio, which can then be sent to my RME ADI-2 DAC amp, and then on to my D9200 headphones. You could use Sonar to send the surround processed audio to any output/amp you want. This has enabled me to finally do what I could never do before. Use my audiophile equipment to play games with 3d sound with full amp power available and any headphone I want.

I'm also finding that the Sonar Surround implementation of 3d sound is highly more dimensional and configurable than Dolby Atmos for Headphones, DTS Headphone:X, DTS:X Ultra, and Windows Sonic.

If you have the SteelSeries GG app with Sonar, there will be two sliders for surround sound in it. A Performance/Immersion slider, which I find best to leave on the low end at -9.0 or below to avoid introducing audible DSP reverb into your mix. And Distance, which for me seems to sound the best at the midpoint of 50. The results sound markedly better, more spacious and directional than Dolby Atmos for Headphones, which was my favorite before I replaced it.

Not sure if you can download SteelSeries GG and activate it without buying their headphones. But you really don't need to use their headphones at all to use the Sonar app once it is activated. I'll be posting a review of the Nova Pro Wireless in the next few weeks. It's got a ton of features and I want to try them all. But my first impressions are very good.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #308 of 428
New impressions:

I have learned, using my decibel meter, that they are gentler to the ears than direct-firing headphones, within 7 to 10 decibels lower. This means you can turn up the volume for that amount. Between 70 to around 85 decibels the Model One brings forth more details in the mids and upper mids; this could also have something to do with equipment used. I use the Chord Mojo 2 as DAC and amp and I have the Model One equipped with a 4 Litz 5N Monocrystalline pure silver 20AWG per wire headphone cable.
It has become very clear to me that these headphones are the best I’ve ever heard at imaging, and that is key and a very big deal for me due to the music I mostly listen to. They have become my main headphone, the only one I use.
Really similar to my experience. Glad you are enjoying them enough that they have been elevated to the primary headphones in your collection.

I think there is something to getting comfortable with the “gentle” presentation. At the same SPL, the image appears larger & more physical.

That same perceived loudness in traditional headphones is danger territory. There is an acclimation period for getting used to this.

@Sproketz , it might be worth looking into turning the VZR up a little more than you traditionally would be comfortable to see if it improves the imaging experience.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2023 at 10:43 PM Post #309 of 428
Hey there! Very new to Hi-Fi tech, but very recently purchased a set of VRZ model ones along with a schiit hel 2 for a PC gaming setup. Would def appreciate any suggestions/recommendations that could be thrown my way. I'll primarily be using the headset for gaming while often listening to music.

Feb 26, 2023 at 12:50 AM Post #310 of 428
Hey there! Very new to Hi-Fi tech, but very recently purchased a set of VRZ model ones along with a schiit hel 2 for a PC gaming setup. Would def appreciate any suggestions/recommendations that could be thrown my way. I'll primarily be using the headset for gaming while often listening to music.
Anything Yosi Horikawa, particularly Letter and Fluid. You can check the other tracks I posted in this thread too. Some other songs I like that demonstrate what the VZRs are good at:

Dsco - Sweet Trip (instrument separation)
Acid Rain - Lorn (bass, spatialization)
Thug Tears - JPEGMAFIA (I absolutely guarantee the clicks you hear in this song will be unreplicable [not sure if that’s a word] on anything else you listen to it on)
Where Do I Go - Eedion (bass)
Kline - Speelburg (spatialization, instrument separation)
Earwig - Pearson Sound (brain scratch)
Merlin - I.M.D. (bass)
XYZ - deadmau5 (bass, brain scratch, intro bass synth has a nice clickiness)

You will probably notice that these headphones have an “brain scratching” sensation that is not really found in other headphones/IEMs I’ve owned/tried (DT990 Pro, AH-D7200, HyperX Cloud II, Sennheiser Momentum 2, heavily EQ’d Shuoer S12). I’ve basically retired all my other audio equipment ever since I got my VZR setup to my liking. My theory for why this happens is due to the clean phase response when sub-bass and high treble happens at the same time.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #311 of 428
Anything Yosi Horikawa, particularly Letter and Fluid. You can check the other tracks I posted in this thread too. Some other songs I like that demonstrate what the VZRs are good at:

Dsco - Sweet Trip (instrument separation)
Honey Trap - Hozho (bass)
Acid Rain - Lorn (bass, spatialization)
Thug Tears - JPEGMAFIA (I absolutely guarantee the clicks you hear in this song will be unreplicable [not sure if that’s a word] on anything else you listen to it on)
Where Do I Go - Eedion (bass)
Kline - Speelburg (spatialization, instrument separation)
Memories (feat. Kid Cudi) 2021 Mix - David Guetta (bass, instrument separation)
Fire Fly - Childish Gambino (just sounds nice in general, comes alive on VZR)
Earwig - Pearson Sound (brain scratch)
Fusion - Haven (bass)
Merlin - I.M.D. (bass)
XYZ - deadmau5 (bass, brain scratch)

You will probably notice that these headphones have an “brain scratching” sensation that is not really found in other headphones/IEMs I’ve owned (DT990 Pro, AH-D7200, HyperX Cloud II, Sennheiser Momentum 2, heavily EQ’d Shuoer S12). I’ve basically retired all my other audio equipment ever since I got my VZR setup to my liking (if anyone wants my S12s lol make me an offer). My theory for why this happens is due to the clean phase response when sub-bass and high treble happens at the same time.

Do you have any equalizer settings that you can share? I assume that since you stated that you got the VZR setup to your liking, that it involved some frequency adjustments. Thanks...

Feb 26, 2023 at 6:39 AM Post #312 of 428
Do you have any equalizer settings that you can share? I assume that since you stated that you got the VZR setup to your liking, that it involved some frequency adjustments. Thanks...
I have no EQ applied whatsoever. By adjustments I mean pad rotation (pad vent vs. screw angle), figuring out driver placement over my ears (aligning the ports and angling the driver correctly). Optimizing other parts of my setup; shorter interconnects between my DAC and amp, better 3.5mm - 1/4” adapter (Sennheiser). I tried EQ’ing them, and I always ended up going back to stock tuning. The only time I’m running EQ is a +20dB bass boost to make my eyes wobble for 15 min and then I take a listening break. Some people try cutting the upper bass and boosting the mids, this causes an uncomfortable sensation inside my ear canal for me. It’s like my ear canal is being pressurized. They work very, very well for some songs. Less well on other songs. Not really “bad”, it’s just that some songs rely a lot on certain frequencies (particularly certain bass frequencies) that the VZR’s are not really tuned for so it sounds a bit unimpressive. Some find the treble region to be “grainy”, I can somewhat hear this, the treble isn’t as sharp and defined as some other headphones I’ve tried but the linearity and extension is pretty good on-ear. Cymbals and drums sound great. Don’t really know what else to say without rehashing things that have already been said in this thread. Last I heard, the founders were showing off some new pads at CanJam SoCal. They’re very smart people, I’m sure they’ve got more up their sleeves.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2023 at 7:42 AM Post #313 of 428
Still would be interesting to try these when they launch in europe as well. Ultrasone Signature X that I also picked up recently is the closest I've found to a replacement for M-Audio Q40, especially when it comes to the bass response with its punchy & tight, quite controlled character you can physically feel (well maybe some bass boost still needed depending on pads used) although overall I find Q40 slightly higher quality sounding in mids/highs but it's not too far off and they are very suited for pad swaps and maybe there's better pads out there to try still. But I'm thinking maybe the VZR would please me even more though, especially in the highs I tend to like softer treble, I don't know why but M-Audio Q40 has a very realistic soft presence to the treble, free of any graininess/metallicness, like zero why I find them so realistic sounding. I tend to more often find that kind of treble in open-back headphones, I have usually trouble balancing treble response in closed backs to be suitable so it's either not fatiguing or lacking.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #314 of 428
I like this.
What Joe is saying about the VZR’s in this comparison video about the imaging of the VZR supports what I have been emphasizing in what I have said in this thread. Man, I adore this headphone!
Maybe you will like Joe’s, GadgetryTech, video as well:

And @RPGWiZaRD maybe this can give you a clearer idea regarding the VZR’s bass.

Mar 1, 2023 at 4:59 AM Post #315 of 428
I like this.
What Joe is saying about the VZR’s in this comparison video about the imaging of the VZR supports what I have been emphasizing in what I have said in this thread. Man, I adore this headphone!
Maybe you will like Joe’s, GadgetryTech, video as well:

And @RPGWiZaRD maybe this can give you a clearer idea regarding the VZR’s bass.

Look at the chart! Let me know if you can feel that bass. :L3000:

Regarding the mids and treble:
https://image-ppubs.uspto.gov/dirsearch-public/print/downloadPdf/20200154189

Attachments

• 1677664469009.png
    1677664469009.png
    72.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back