VZR Model One
Aug 21, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #392 of 428
So I picked up a Topping G5 portable DAC/amp to pair with the VZR because it’s basically their core desktop architecture shrunk and these things are easy to power.

I’m absolutely floored with what I’m experiencing with this thing and these cans. It really is desktop caliber output that’s directly comparable with my Audeze Deckard, at least with these cans.

What really impresses me is the DAC! It’s much cleaner than the Deckard. I do think the Deckard has the better amp and am going to try the DAC only mode from the topping with the Deckard Amp. I’ll bet that’s pretty smashing.

I picked up mini shoulder bag from Amazon that perfectly holds the g5 & phone both snugly on my solar plexus. It’s actually a better portability experience than Quidelix/Dongles because the cables are basically nested on the body, and don’t tangle up when going about your day. Putting both in a mini bag should be the default move around here, imho.

10/10 Recommended Bag.
9/10 Recommended G5. Nothing is perfect but it’s hard to find a fault.

Long Keeper Mini Sling Bag - Men... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BRV6NTPX?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #393 of 428
So I picked up a Topping G5 portable DAC/amp to pair with the VZR because it’s basically their core desktop architecture shrunk and these things are easy to power.

I’m absolutely floored with what I’m experiencing with this thing and these cans. It really is desktop caliber output that’s directly comparable with my Audeze Deckard, at least with these cans.

What really impresses me is the DAC! It’s much cleaner than the Deckard. I do think the Deckard has the better amp and am going to try the DAC only mode from the topping with the Deckard Amp. I’ll bet that’s pretty smashing.

I picked up mini shoulder bag from Amazon that perfectly holds the g5 & phone both snugly on my solar plexus. It’s actually a better portability experience than Quidelix/Dongles because the cables are basically nested on the body, and don’t tangle up when going about your day. Putting both in a mini bag should be the default move around here, imho.

10/10 Recommended Bag.
9/10 Recommended G5. Nothing is perfect but it’s hard to find a fault.

Long Keeper Mini Sling Bag - Men... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BRV6NTPX?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Funny you say the DAC in the G5 is better - most who have any complaint about its sound seem to believe the DAC is its weak point and the amp section is very strong; there are a few that use it with a separate portable DAC, even.

I personally have no issues given the price point. Yes, the D90/A90 stack sounds better to my ear, but it's also not portable and cost about 5x as much, so it better. That said, they're closer than I ever would have imagined.

Aug 22, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #394 of 428
Funny you say the DAC in the G5 is better - most who have any complaint about its sound seem to believe the DAC is its weak point and the amp section is very strong; there are a few that use it with a separate portable DAC, even.

I personally have no issues given the price point. Yes, the D90/A90 stack sounds better to my ear, but it's also not portable and cost about 5x as much, so it better. That said, they're closer than I ever would have imagined.
I am sorry, but I don't buy this without examples. Can you link to people calling the G5 Dac an underperformer using a separate dac in a portable rig setup?

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #395 of 428
Aug 22, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #396 of 428
Aug 22, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #397 of 428
Good find. That would explain it. I don't think this is a great data-set in support of "dac is bad, people bypass" but it is there in the thread.
And for what it’s worth, I actually think well of my G5’s performance, I just wanted to offer up the thread. Anyway, to me the only limitation is the G5’s size. Unless I am driving something demanding, I settle on the more petite BTR7.

Aug 22, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #398 of 428
Aug 24, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #401 of 428
It's very strong and nice. It's not a perfect eq, but the headset sounds much better to my ears now. Anyone else have any EQ or graph to share of this headset?
FWIW this is what I currently use:

PK 75hz -4.0db 1.0q
PK 346hz -7.6db 1.3q
HS 2500hz 3.0db
HS 4000hz -2.0db

I started with a 20hz-400hz measurement off of my EARS rig and tuned the treble by ear. I was attempting to keep the strong subbass that these headphones excel at while reducing the boom. It is indeed a wonky FR but in all honesty, these are the most open sounding closed-back headphones I've heard.

@GadgetryTech What measurement rig are you using for the FR graph?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back