VZR Model One
Jun 10, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #346 of 428
Choice quotes from the video. I am not surprised that someone else who has a background in pro-audio describes them exactly the same way I do:

"I like it... I can wear these when I'm FOH at a concert and they're isolating enough where I can get my work done. Describing the sound is difficult because it's not as simple as saying, oh yea it's got great treble or oh yeah it's got a lot of bass or oh it's detailed. It is detailed, it's very revealing.. because they are really low distortion, very high resolution and great imaging, especially due to spatial audio. That acoustic aperture, which I don't know how it does it, I know what it does but I don't know how it affects the brain/psychoacoustically to achieve it's goal but it's got great detail, it's very balanced so you don't have one frequency screaming ahead of others. You have a rich, tight, controlled bass response that doesn't appear weak at any time. It's always there but only when it's supposed to be. You could consider it slightly boosted because it has a really good bass response, but I think it's just hitting lower than a lot of headphones typically can. Most headphones hit 20hz-20khz and this hits 10hz-30kzz, so that's what I'm thinking.

And this headphone has a very speaker like type of sound. They have these 40mm drivers but they have a big speaker sound when you're wearing them. I've been able to mix with them in the studio the way I'd normally use speakers. So all around, the sound is great. I've even used these for enjoyment listening to music. Especially when I like a lot of SLAM because they have good impact. It doesn't slam and hurt your ears, you can actually listen to them very loud and I do listen to them very loud because they don't hurt my ears and I like a lot of impact on things so Jazz music sounds fantastic, rock music, rap music, EDM a lot of kinds of music just really shine. I'll listen to a lot of music I haven't listened to for a long time with these because I want to hear how the VZR Model 1 produces them. "

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2023 at 3:39 AM Post #351 of 428
Spoke too soon on no GAS. I've had bad GAS for the VZR cross wave in a DJ set. I'd considered Ultrasone but the price isn't justiable for me without trying them.

Well, I learned that massdrop has a collab on the signature model that's tuned toward Harman and $200 brand new. Instant buy. I'll sell my vmoda, which I honestly dislike. My new DJ collection will be the Ultrasone Signature X, Sennheiser HD25, and AKG371

That said, I still have GAS for a VZR product similar to the Ultrasone Signature X. Especially if they had Graphene drivers

A man can dream

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2023 at 12:04 AM Post #352 of 428
Just ordered a pair of Model Ones and they’ll be in by next week. I’m hoping I’ll like this and can stick with them for a while. Been down the headphone rabbit hole several times now, and this past week I was burned by bad quality control with the Audeze Maxwells, so I’m feeling a bit worn out. I wanted to ask about whether or not Schiit’s Fulla E would be sufficient for powering the Model Ones? After some more reading I realized that I should’ve gotten the Hel 2E instead, but the Fulla has already been ordered and I don’t want to deal with anymore returns or exchanges for the time being.

Jun 17, 2023 at 12:12 AM Post #353 of 428
Just ordered a pair of Model Ones and they’ll be in by next week. I’m hoping I’ll like this and can stick with them for a while. Been down the headphone rabbit hole several times now, and this past week I was burned by bad quality control with the Audeze Maxwells, so I’m feeling a bit worn out. I wanted to ask about whether or not Schiit’s Fulla E would be sufficient for powering the Model Ones? After some more reading I realized that I should’ve gotten the Hel 2E instead, but the Fulla has already been ordered and I don’t want to deal with anymore returns or exchanges for the time being.
They are really easy to drive. It shouldn't be a problem.

Jun 17, 2023 at 5:32 AM Post #355 of 428
Haha I dig the username! Welcome to the forum and VZR owners club. Congrats on your acquisition, I hope you enjoy your set as much as I do mine. Yeah, they don't need much power and I've had them distort on too much juice at a hifi store (the same amp drove the Focal Stelia just fine though). Cheers 🥂

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #356 of 428
Can someone give a comparison of the Maxwell and the VZR? This is for music only, not for “purity” but a bit of fun V-shape Frequency Response. Thanks!

Jun 30, 2023 at 1:13 AM Post #357 of 428
Can someone give a comparison of the Maxwell and the VZR? This is for music only, not for “purity” but a bit of fun V-shape Frequency Response. Thanks!
Maxwell is a Unicorn. It's very very good. VZR is tuned for footsteps, not music. It has very harsh treble for me.

Jun 30, 2023 at 1:22 AM Post #358 of 428
Maxwell is a Unicorn. It's very very good. VZR is tuned for footsteps, not music. It has very harsh treble for me.
Thanks! Seems if I already have the Maxwell there probably isn’t any point to the VZR. Is that what you are saying?

Jun 30, 2023 at 1:32 AM Post #359 of 428
Thanks! Seems if I already have the Maxwell there probably isn’t any point to the VZR. Is that what you are saying?
I think if you listen to your headset and want a wireless experience it is a great experience. If you only want say a 2% gain in footsteps for gaming only go with VZR model one. I really like the range, and sound, of Maxwell. The VZR model one is a solid experience, but not something that I need in my life when the Maxwell exist. I prefer the maxwell over any full-sized closed-back that I've heard. But Closed backs are often a bit muddy and odd.

Jun 30, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #360 of 428
I think if you listen to your headset and want a wireless experience it is a great experience. If you only want say a 2% gain in footsteps for gaming only go with VZR model one. I really like the range, and sound, of Maxwell. The VZR model one is a solid experience, but not something that I need in my life when the Maxwell exist. I prefer the maxwell over any full-sized closed-back that I've heard. But Closed backs are often a bit muddy and odd.
Thank you! I think you just saved me some money!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back